what's best for cleaning tail lights

Tyres / rust repairs & bodywork / lubrication etc - please post topics such as these that are not specific to any model of MR2 here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions that don't fit into the more specific areas of the technical section and that may apply to any type of MR2. E.g. tyres, bodywork and rust repairs, lubrication etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
rocco26
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: brian

what's best for cleaning tail lights

Post by rocco26 »

I am wanting to clean/brighten my tail lights ,what is the best?,is there any household products?.i have tried clear cut,it does a ok job,but i'm looking for something better.cheers.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Re: what's best for cleaning tail lights

Post by mickeyduck »

Brasso works real well.
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Mr Shiny
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Brae

Post by Mr Shiny »

Meguiars PlastX on a microfibre pad in a drill, like the one that comes in their headlight restoration kit that also comes with a small bottle of PlastX. Also SuperCheap have a polishing pad set that is two foam pads & two wool pads. Depending on how bad your lights are as to which pad to use, wool or foam. Foam pads have less 'cut' than wool. So if they are shockingly bad start with a wool pad but DO NOT use in a drill at warp speed or you WILL melt the plastic. Then finish with a foam pad to get a perfect finish. You can do by hand, but will take hours. Sorry Charlie, but Brasso has to to much cut, it is made to polish brass after all, which is still harder than plastic. I have an pic in a thread here with an awesome shot of a white SW parked behind me reflected in my tail light :mrgreen:
“If you think the professionals are expensive, you should see what the amateurs can cost you.”

rocco26
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: brian

Post by rocco26 »

O for awesome,Cheers for that.

flying_wedge
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Mark

Post by flying_wedge »

+1 for the meguires headlight restore kit, I'm no car detailer in the slightest, but even I could stick a buffing pad in my drill and turn some tired rear lights back to new

MoNk
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: J

Post by MoNk »

I've used PlastX always. Works great, but hard work!

clawnz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Clive

Post by clawnz »

I go with Cutting compound or Brasso or Solvo Autosol.
Heavy Duty Cutting compound is very handy around cars for many things even polishing up chrome and glass.
Solvo Autosol, this is another top product.
Brasso is the cheapest option and can be used for a good number of other jobs.

I would add a warning if using a hand drill and polishing mop. Be very careful as you can burn paint and plastic.