Progress Log- Santas List

Tyres / rust repairs & bodywork / lubrication etc - please post topics such as these that are not specific to any model of MR2 here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions that don't fit into the more specific areas of the technical section and that may apply to any type of MR2. E.g. tyres, bodywork and rust repairs, lubrication etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Progress Log- Santas List

Post by Benckj »

Day 1 Prepare

I've had a maintenance/ mod list which has been growing over the last 2 years. Started with hitting the 100k mark and needing to do cam belt etc on front end. Trying to kill 10 birds with 1 stone decided to add to the list and hit it all on go. Got 3 weeks off over Xmas so thought that was the time to give it a nudge. Have listed what each part will cost given my shopping & trading list over past couple years (approx $2,000 total).

Plans are to complete;
1/ OEM tensioner, idler, Gates cam belt, adjustable cam gear, WP. ($300)
2/ new OEM clutch + clutch cylinder, braided line & DOT 5.1 + solid roller clevis mod. ($320)
3/ install t3/t4 turbo with new oil lines & actuator ($300)
4/ exhaust work incl bypass valve ($200)
5/ CRW upgrade CV axle joints ($125)
6/ refurb alt to 120amp ($100)
7/ new drive belts, ancillary hoses, maint items (ie fuel filter, axle seals, outer CV boots, etc) ($120)
8/ PGP waterborne to re-shoot whole car ($150)
9/ Machining, turbo adapter, new studs and gasket kit ($450)

I'll try and keep this thread updated as I progress with list. I'm not the best for pics as my hands are generally greasy so you may need to see between the lines. Using my phone for updates which can be frustrating at the best of times. Any hints on adding pics?
Last edited by Benckj on Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Benckj

Re: Progress Log- Santas List

Post by Benckj »

Pic attempt using iphone.

Can't seem to add files using attachment tab or drag & drop function. Might have to resort to PC.

Day 1- set up temp workshop and get car jacked up. Tools polished & rags on display.

Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

What turbo are you installing?

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

T3/4 with internal WG. Corrected above.

Turbo should make use of the stock ECU fuel being dumped in. Still need to sort adaptor manifold and V-band DP. Once running I'll chuck on dyno to check AFR's.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

It will be interesting to see how these mods work out. Wouldn't it be better to sink money into a new ECU than painting the car? If you are upgrading the turbo and you already have water injection you would see far better power gains with proper fuel control rather than making the stock ECU to freak out when you add more air.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Agreed EMS is on the cards for next upgrade. Only doing paint as getting all materials for free and car will be down for couple months while I sort out my list above. Turbo I'm installing is a small step up and I plan to use EBC, WI and cam gear to tune for max 300whp. If I want more hp later on mechanics will be done and EMS will be next investment.

Not a lot of $$ being spent here as I'm still working on building garage each morning. Edited first post with money spent on each part. Lots of savings here from trades & deals. Hope to recoup some funds from selling ct20b when I'm done and happy with T3 set-up.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Day 2
Fluids drained (coolant, a2w, gearbox) IC removed as most vacume engine bay hoses. Both rear hubs started with suspension disconnected and axle nuts loose. Lower chassis member loose and ready to drop. LH axle pulled and debating if I should remove completely for CV joint upgrade.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Getting an ems is dependent on the setup. If the injectors and cams/gears are stock, then a mild turbo package will probably still work on the stock ecu (got to check afr's before any serious driving). However I would be doing the ems first, I did even with a 3sge.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Have a local dyno and Tuner who is familiar with my car do will throw on machine and check AFRs through range. If I can get a reliable 300whp which should break me into 12s at 1/4 mile I'll be happy enough.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Day 3- removals before drop

Made good progress today for an hours work. Bit cooler outside so spent more time on chainsaw and tractor working on garage build. Tomorrow I need to go into work so little progress on car front. Hopefully can drop engine by weekend and start on exhaust/alternator mods next week.

Removed axles, coolant lines, shift linkage, clutch etc. Going quite easy as I upgraded fluids and hoses when I got car over from Japan. No rust in Central Otago and since I copper coated threads when doing bushes 2 years ago everything is in good shape.

Starting to look like a TM find.

Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Day 5

Had some Dam work yesterday and being New Year's Day not much progress today as moving rather slow in between naps.

AC compressor disconnected, starter wires, side braces removed and engine hoist positioned. Wind blew a gale last night so had to prop the gazebo walls again and tie off to trees. Got to sort out more Dam stuff tomorrow so hopefully ready to drop engine on Sat.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Noticed previous posts dissapeared along with pics but understand Charlie is having some issues trying to relocated server up in the clouds.

Anyway plugging away with this extensive list Im starting to gain a bit of traction. This is only one project I'm working on so it is going slow as I expected. Aiming for March to complete.

Engine & trans removed and currently being split apart. Pulled alternator and brought into local shop for testing & rebuild, new exhaust is tacked together for checking clearance. Neighbour is setting up DP for t3/4 v-band outlet and is working on manifold.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Good day today. Split trans from engine, removed clutch and covers from timing belt. Pulled ct20b off including all feeder lines. Pays to soak bolts with penetrating oil for couple days before hand. No problems breaking anything loose including crank pulley.

Everything is in decent shape although absolutely filthy with dirt & debris. Need to remove timing belt& bearings up front then have a good clean up before reassembly.

Neighbour making good progress with exhaust & DP. Going to check clearances with crossmember in then start final welds. Getting an adaptor manifold from the 20b to t3 made up.would like to keep as short as possible. Hard to believe this turbo will push more air as its lighter and smaller.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Not a great deal of progress. Exhaust was checked and completed. Working on DP mod now. Measuring up turbo lines and fittings required especially onto oil feed off block.

Cleaned up trans and gave it a lick of paint. Not best job in the world but only spent an hour, couple cans of degreaser and rattle can of silver metallic. Had some leakage from axle seals so always planned to replace. Still left gooey mess. See if I can post a pic.

Before

After
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Found a crack in the exhaust gasket between manifold and turbo. Anyone have a good one to send to me?

Don't really want a new one as I have to mod by chopping center "twin entry" bit out.

Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car