Progress Log- Santas List

Tyres / rust repairs & bodywork / lubrication etc - please post topics such as these that are not specific to any model of MR2 here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions that don't fit into the more specific areas of the technical section and that may apply to any type of MR2. E.g. tyres, bodywork and rust repairs, lubrication etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Wayne
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Wayne

Re: Progress Log- Santas List

Post by Wayne »

picture of said turbo on gt4

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

I agree wayne it doesn't make sense as something is not right. Cams are spot on, tripple checked when I did the belt. Started 1st pop and ran great. I've checked with several diff techs on turbo sizing with all stating its too large for the 3sgte.

I'll give your contact Steve a call tomorrow and have a chat. Maybe he can shed some light on the problem. Do you happen to know if turbo has been re-worked with possibly a larger wheel than what's shown?
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

EssDub
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Outside of New Zealand
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Graham

Post by EssDub »

I'm just gonna leave this here as food for thought:

AFM vs MAP monitored engines.

There is a difference.

One is ok, the other leans your engine out dangerously.

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

I was hoping Wayne would comment on this topic. Mine is actually 161kw at 10 psi, but I have bigger cams and the cam timing is setup wrong at the moment (hitting a 160kw ceiling).

Reading what has happened, I'm thinking that there is an exhaust leak somewhere between the head and the turbo.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

Wayne
Guest of the Club.

Post by Wayne »

i think my point was that your cam timing was wrong , and you were @ your max boost making about 50 kw less than you should have been.
if anything you should be making boost sooner and your upper range should actually increase with the bigger cams ... but ive told you this before i think .
IF your using stock type cams with aftermarket wheels .. set them at stock and then move from there once you max that out ... 1-3 degrees can literally gain you or rob you of 40-50 kw if its in the right wrong direction
we had a rb years ago with this issue ... struggled to make 200 kw on a gt30-82r ... a tweek of the cams and 270kw was easy as cake and cake is yum
Steve is motor-sport research , he knows more about 3sgte's and turbos than anyone ... i.e he was doing the ct26 hybrids before anyone in the states were
cams need to be set on lobe position but im guessing you set them on the cutouts ?
and no i dont know the full history of the turbo .. its off a ex drift car so it certainly performed , it was only taken off to put on a bigger turbo

sdub is kind correct .. i didnt actually realise you were on a map sensored engine ... have you got a printout of afr's ?
also .. check your knock sensor .. as sdub also found out though missadventure .. they can fault and not register a fault ...

lets work through this and get you going well ....
the turbo you have is a pretty tired and true option

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Agreed, not pointing the finger at anything just want to work this out. I have a very clued up Tech at dyno shop and is as baffled as I am. He compared previous runs with current and snother stock gen3 he just tuned with a G4.

Maybe the cams are the clue. I simply removed gears, replaced oil seals and installed back onto my match marks. New adjustable one was set at 0 deg TDC with crank on 0. Timing was set at 10deg as per BGB but have not re-checked since work.

Keep throwing the ideas at me, I'm far from an expert do happy to learn,
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Wayne
Guest of the Club.

Post by Wayne »

if i wasnt so busy jim id just fly down and sort it for you , but sadly i have a gt4 i have to finish and alex's sw20 to do a pile of fab work on now .... cause well i cant tell you cause its his place but its going to be magic .
ill give you a call later to discuss then you can summerise on here if you want ... as much as i would love to do this all on forum .. i just dont have the time these days

cj has a very similar turbo to yours on his sw20 as well i think hes well over 220 kw @ the wheels these days

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Sounds like a plan Wayne. Hope it's something simple.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Spoke with Wayne last night and he had a few suggestions to get turbo spooling quicker. Namely;

1/ preload wastegate by 4psi
2/ increase WI to 16psi
3/ provided no knock increase base timing
4/ install intake adjustable timing gear
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Wayne
Guest of the Club.

Post by Wayne »

preload the waste gate by 6mm .. so when the flap is tight .. you need another 6mm of pull on the actuator :)
i checked that setting today with steve
he also agreed with the recommendation to increase boost pressure to 17 psi :)

i discussed with him about the watermeth and he agrees that you will be cooling your exhaust temps with it and while that is a good thing when you have det issues ... its not a good thing when you have spool issues

Wayne
Guest of the Club.

Post by Wayne »

so basically .. take the setting you have now .. and wind it in another 6mm

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

It's a tight fit where actuator is mounted directly under turbo and hard against trans. Adjusted it in approx 5mm but is at end of thread. Need to put some compressed air through to extend and get back onto arm. Turned up the WI a couple psi but will fine tune when I take for test drive. If all goes well and I can start to build boost at lower revs I'll throw onto dyno later this week to check AFR's & knock then advance timing a tad. Hope it does the trick.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Wayne
Guest of the Club.

Post by Wayne »

well fitted up as described the wast-gate would have been leaking, so i am hoping for a marked improvement .
however .. you can get smaller a/r ex housings as well .. so a .43 could be on the cards ... but then your restricting exhaust flow again

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Pre-loaded actuator and cranked up WI pressure so wouldn't come on before 15psi as described above. Took for a short blast and although more responsive not exactly earth shattering performance.

I will tinker a bit with it over Easter and get back on rollers next week. I'll burn up a bit of fuel then top up with 95 as I still have 10% meth in tank.

Still more tunning on the cards but Im comfortable taking to the track. Just have to make dure AFR's are decent and no knock. Thanks for all the advice.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8fjmKmFfJA

Gen3 MR2 in the UK with bolt ons. 12.85 @ 107mph. 1.8 60fts. Still runs a ct20b.