Progress Log- Santas List

Tyres / rust repairs & bodywork / lubrication etc - please post topics such as these that are not specific to any model of MR2 here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions that don't fit into the more specific areas of the technical section and that may apply to any type of MR2. E.g. tyres, bodywork and rust repairs, lubrication etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Re: Progress Log- Santas List

Post by Benckj »

Yep wish I could pull it off that easy. I'll get there one way or another.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

CJ
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: CJ

Post by CJ »

Wayne wrote:if i wasnt so busy jim id just fly down and sort it for you , but sadly i have a gt4 i have to finish and alex's sw20 to do a pile of fab work on now .... cause well i cant tell you cause its his place but its going to be magic .
ill give you a call later to discuss then you can summerise on here if you want ... as much as i would love to do this all on forum .. i just dont have the time these days

cj has a very similar turbo to yours on his sw20 as well i think hes well over 220 kw @ the wheels these days
Mines a T3/T4. The seals and internals are where they save the money. I had the internals replaced with garrett originals and it goes mint.
Mines running about 180kw ATW on 9psi.
Think thats about 212 or so at engine.

I need to upgrade my fuel before pushing the turbo. I could push the psi a bit more but i like it reliable and want to have the fuel on tap before i push it.

Sounds like you have an internal wastegate?
not good on those..
With an external, the spring pressure has to be the same as the MAX amount of psi you want to run. Use the boost controller to dial it down.
Does the wastegate have a machine screw to adjust this pre load pressure? Sounds like youre already trying to correct this..

Do you have an aftermarket ECU?

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Yep running internal WG as it keeps more compact and less piping into DP. I have an A2W IC sitting above so using stock heat shield. Only preloading WG by setting tension with arm. Not as precise or efficient as external but should manage my goals. New 0.5/0.58AR turbo spools much better and holds through redline. Just need to get my FP sorted and Ill be back on track. Running stock ECU for now.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Wayne
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Wayne

Post by Wayne »

[quote="CJ"..
With an external, the spring pressure has to be the same as the MAX amount of psi you want to run. Use the boost controller to dial it down.
Does the wastegate have a machine screw to adjust this pre load pressure? Sounds like youre already trying to correct this..

Do you have an aftermarket ECU?[/quote]

you actually bleed off pressure to the wastegate to raise pressure , you want a spring lower than your highest setting so that you have more control on the boost curve

http://www.turbosmartusa.com/technical- ... tallation/

even if you do 3 port control you never want your spring at your max pressure .. your spring is your limp home pressure

Wayne
Guest of the Club.

Post by Wayne »

also .. just looked at your wastegate cj .. its mounted wrong way around .. the bottom of the piston should be sealing on the manifold side .. you have it on the outlet side ... ill find you a picture

Wayne
Guest of the Club.

Post by Wayne »

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Agree with Wayne on having WG spring pressure lower than max and using boost controller to bleed off pressure. Should keep engine safe at low spring tension. Stock runs 7psi which is about what mine tests at.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

CJ
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: CJ

Post by CJ »

Wayne wrote:also .. just looked at your wastegate cj .. its mounted wrong way around .. the bottom of the piston should be sealing on the manifold side .. you have it on the outlet side ... ill find you a picture
old picture...fixed that.

Oh, well, I guess if the turbo works now, then you found the issue of it not spooling up very well.

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Yes turbo spools much quicker but holds better at top end. Just need some seat time to play around with boost response then hit the dyno again to dial in cam gear plus add some timing.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDwdJPic9co

Same car as before, just cut 12.5 @ 111mph.