Issue with number plates

Tyres / rust repairs & bodywork / lubrication etc - please post topics such as these that are not specific to any model of MR2 here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions that don't fit into the more specific areas of the technical section and that may apply to any type of MR2. E.g. tyres, bodywork and rust repairs, lubrication etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: James

Issue with number plates

Post by Swampy »

I hate my numberplates.

One had rusty bolts and was ugly, the other had severe overspray.

I began today by taking the front one off and moving it to the passengers side of the windscreen out of necessity, don't mind the gangsta look but then again the unwanted attention made me second guess. The internet says it may stop speed camera's from pinging you and you may get ticketed for it. Also potential WOF issues. Not worth it. Tried to place it back in with nuts placed in the pre-drilled holes but this seemed unreliable without some strong glue. So the black insert went back in before it.

Ideally I'd want to straighten out my plates and re-paint them in original colours, any legal issues with this? I will eventually bog up sand and paint over the holes and place plate off-set to the left, where it can quickly be removed for photos.

I just think the ugliest part of the MR2 are the plates!
IMG_1156[1].JPG
IMG_1156[1].JPG (203.35 KiB) Viewed 7000 times
Rusty vs nice and clean, ready to be CRC'd!
Rusty vs nice and clean, ready to be CRC'd!
IMG_1153[1].JPG (242.25 KiB) Viewed 7000 times
Attachments
IMG_1158[1].JPG
IMG_1158[1].JPG (124.74 KiB) Viewed 7000 times
In the shed: 91 MR2 G-Limited, 95 Subaru Impreza WRX
In the front of the shed: 95 Corolla
In the driveway: 00 Subaru Legacy Lancaster
In the rear view: 87 Honda Prelude, 94 Nissan Serena, 04 Swift
~ 4 Runs ~

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Re: Issue with number plates

Post by GDII »

Windscreen bad.

You can get the plates reprinted for very cheap. Painting them will stop them being reflective and you'll most likely get pulled up for that.

That black mount should be bolted to the bumper with the outer holes and then the plate bolted to the mount. The 2 nuts embedded in the bumper are not meant to be there.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Swampy wrote:I hate my numberplates.

One had rusty bolts and was ugly, the other had severe overspray.

I began today by taking the front one off and moving it to the passengers side of the windscreen out of necessity, don't mind the gangsta look but then again the unwanted attention made me second guess. The internet says it may stop speed camera's from pinging you and you may get ticketed for it. Also potential WOF issues. Not worth it. Tried to place it back in with nuts placed in the pre-drilled holes but this seemed unreliable without some strong glue. So the black insert went back in before it.

Ideally I'd want to straighten out my plates and re-paint them in original colours, any legal issues with this? I will eventually bog up sand and paint over the holes and place plate off-set to the left, where it can quickly be removed for photos.

I just think the ugliest part of the MR2 are the plates!
Was just looking back at this post. You can get new plates printed for like $10 so you have nice new shiny straight non rusted ones. I think you just take in your old ones and swap them for the new ones.
https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/licen ... er-plates/

Hope this helps.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Hayden
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Hayden

Post by Hayden »

Just take your plates into VTNZ and they'll give you brand new (random) plates and a new rego label for the low low price of $22 or something. Theres a form you have to fill out, but go in there and act like you don't know what to do and they'll talk you through it
Current Garage Fillers:
1992 Ferrari 348, 2009 Lamborghini Gallardo, 2008 Toyota Hilux, 2009 BMW M3, 2002 Lotus Elise, and a bunch of rental cars.

Past Garage Fillers:
Many more MR2's than years I've lived.

clawnz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Clive

Post by clawnz »

The other way to get new plates issued, is to say one of them got stolen from your car. They cancel old and issue new ones. Does cost, but not very much.
Plates used to get stolen all the time by gas runners and a few other low life. So an issue they do not worry about much at all.

nightz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Ken

Post by nightz »

clawnz wrote:The other way to get new plates issued, is to say one of them got stolen from your car. They cancel old and issue new ones. Does cost, but not very much.
Plates used to get stolen all the time by gas runners and a few other low life. So an issue they do not worry about much at all.

Why would you bother to make up a story (lie) when they will change them for you as per Hayden's post? :roll:

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Justin

Post by Gleshlich »

I have a sticker on my front bumper as my front plate.

Different sources have different views on its legality but I've not had a problem. It looks to be regulation size and font but no screws and brackets

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

YOU might even be able to get a matching Man Bag to go with the new plates
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

Gleshlich wrote:I have a sticker on my front bumper as my front plate.

Different sources have different views on its legality but I've not had a problem. It looks to be regulation size and font but no screws and brackets
It's illegal end of. Some different sources are wrong.

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/licen ... er-plates/

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Swampy »

Seen a cop car with the plate on the left side...

It's a highway patrol car though so it has bull bars. So no place for the plate so he had to go full gangsta. :lol:
~ 4 Runs ~

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

Swampy wrote:Seen a cop car with the plate on the left side...

It's a highway patrol car though so it has bull bars. So no place for the plate so he had to go full gangsta. :lol:
"Display of number plates
All plates must be fixed securely to the vehicle in an upright position. They must be displayed so that all the characters (numbers and letters) are clearly visible at all times.
A motorcycle, moped, tractor, trailer or trade plate must be fixed on the rear of the vehicle.
All other vehicles require two plates, one at the front and one at the rear.
Supplementary plates must only be attached to the vehicle that bears the same set of characters. "

Doesn't say anything about location. Just at the front and securely fixed. So on your dash isn't that. Anywhere on the front bumper that's secure and clearly visible is fine.
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Swampy »

Yea dash is out of the question.

I've seen online it's a trend in Japan amongst the badasses there to fold up or bend their number plates. Seen it once here on a Mazda 3. Must be a cop magnet.
~ 4 Runs ~

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

The NZTA link is a good thing Al. Always good to get things from the horse's mouth...

I don't imagine they will legalise sticker plates here any time soon cos the aluminium ones would be much better reflectors for laser and radar. Pity cos I'd love to use a sticker on the front bumper. Less ugly and better aero regards cooling.
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

Years ago I got to do some consultancy on a product that people thought could beat speed cameras . It was a licence plate cover . Anyway the guy spent a fortune on trying to develop it and I got to play with various things.

Amongst all the things we tested was this http://www.photoblocker.com/ . Its probably should be in the useless invention pile but some guys swear by it. ITs a spray produces a high-powered gloss that reflects the flash back towards the camera blinding it. This overexposes the image of your license plate, rendering the picture unreadable. With PhotoBlocker, your license plate is invisible to traffic cameras yet completely legible to the naked eye.

We couldn't get it to work though but it was fun trying.

One guaranteed way to avoid speed cameras is not to speed !!!

Jay my son climbed a lamppost once when he was young and painted the speed camera lens black so he didn't get a ticket but that's another story......
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

The new ones use infra red anyway Mike. No flash anymore eh. So you don't even know if it snapped you.
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted: