Alternator Woes

Tyres / rust repairs & bodywork / lubrication etc - please post topics such as these that are not specific to any model of MR2 here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions that don't fit into the more specific areas of the technical section and that may apply to any type of MR2. E.g. tyres, bodywork and rust repairs, lubrication etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
clawnz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Clive

Alternator Woes

Post by clawnz »

A week ago my engine lights came on and it was decided that the alternator was the issue.
After looking and trying a few different ways and failed.
I did some searching online how to remove it.
Seems the excepted way is out the top and on the cambelt side.
Unbolt Alternator then unbolt bolt mounting bracket and a few bits out of the way.
Now anybody who has tried this will know there is at least one bolt behind the drive shaft if you want to remove the bracket.
A mate who has been very helpful, said "No you can take it across the engine bay and get it out the fuse box side". And he came over and did exactly that.
I did not read that anywhere when searching. It takes some fiddling but saves struggling to undo bolts you cannot even see.
It did turn out to be the brushes in mine had worn out. and the comm,. was badly worn down.
Sourced another and I struggled to get it back in, but after lots of cursing I did manage it.
The good news is Mr2 back running well.

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Re: Alternator Woes

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Alot of people say to take it out the cambelt side, but it just doesn't fit. Taking it out the fuse box side works, so does loosening off the subframe and squeezing it out the bottom (a doctor should fix it this way :wink: ).
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Re: Alternator Woes

Post by GDII »

I've taken 2 out the cam belt side in Revision 1 SW20s with GEN2 3SGEs. I've done mine at least 5 times. I've tried the fuse box side but failed. Sub frame way is another way to do it which can be easier than the other ways if you don't mind lifting the car up.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/