SST for checking codes

Tyres / rust repairs & bodywork / lubrication etc - please post topics such as these that are not specific to any model of MR2 here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions that don't fit into the more specific areas of the technical section and that may apply to any type of MR2. E.g. tyres, bodywork and rust repairs, lubrication etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
clawnz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Clive

SST for checking codes

Post by clawnz »

Am I right in thinking SST = Special Service Tool.
Can someone tell me if this tool for checking diagnostic codes, is just a light bulb and two leads and probes.
It has to flash the codes, so assume it is a light bulb, but just checking before I do anything.
As shown on page SR-56 of the BGB.

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Re: SST for checking codes

Post by GDII »

The SST (yes Special Service Tool) for this is just a metal clip. Use a wire or paper clip in place of the SST. :twisted: We all do it.

For this it looks as though the red P/S light on the dashboard is the flashing light you will be looking for.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

clawnz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by clawnz »

GDII wrote:The SST (yes Special Service Tool) for this is just a metal clip. Use a wire or paper clip in place of the SST. :twisted: We all do it.

For this it looks as though the red P/S light on the dashboard is the flashing light you will be looking for.
Thank You.
God I am dumb, It says on that page note the number of times the P/S light blinks.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

I use a set of tweezers with a very fine point. Works well. But yeah a paperclip does the job too...
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

GDII

Post by GDII »

clawnz wrote:
GDII wrote:The SST (yes Special Service Tool) for this is just a metal clip. Use a wire or paper clip in place of the SST. :twisted: We all do it.

Thank You.
God I am dumb, It says on that page note the number of times the P/S light blinks.
It's all good. I didn't even know the P/S light could blink as part of the diagnostic system. I thought only the orange CEL (Check Engine Light) would flash when doing any sort of wire jumping with the SST on the diagnostics box. Thanks to you I now know just a little bit more about these cars. :D

clawnz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by clawnz »

Next!
Ok so I have a BGB but not for Gen3.
According to what I make it, I am looking for what a code 13 means. could it be the same as 12 in the BGB I have?
And in the BGB I have there is no code 13.

GDII

Post by GDII »

Just reading this and it appears the code is for 'Abnormally High Voltage to Power Steering Pump'
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1495153

However I don't have proof this is true. Maybe something is up with the pump causing more resistance to turn it on when cold. Maybe new fluid or another pump would fix this issue. Half the problem with any of these fixes is the cost and messing around trying to replace the parts. I'm sure someone else can say how hard or annoying this would be.

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Have you checked what the battery voltage is when the car is running? An alternator that is overcharging is also possible.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

clawnz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by clawnz »

GDII wrote:Just reading this and it appears the code is for 'Abnormally High Voltage to Power Steering Pump'
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1495153

However I don't have proof this is true. Maybe something is up with the pump causing more resistance to turn it on when cold. Maybe new fluid or another pump would fix this issue. Half the problem with any of these fixes is the cost and messing around trying to replace the parts. I'm sure someone else can say how hard or annoying this would be.
Again thank you for your input.
I am moving towards 'Pump' It does make more noise than I have heard any other pump.
When it is working that is.
I am lucky in that I have good working spares and thinking change out pump and rack, while under there.

GDII

Post by GDII »

Just be aware that most stuff after November 1993 has different part numbers to stuff before that. I'm not sure if this will cause you issues but it's just something to be aware off.

clawnz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by clawnz »

GDII wrote:Just be aware that most stuff after November 1993 has different part numbers to stuff before that. I'm not sure if this will cause you issues but it's just something to be aware off.
A very valid point. I have to wonder if that is a double blind though.
Remember I have already plugged up both ECU's and relay. From a 1992 and no noticeable concerns. All responses were the same.
I am almost certain the pumps are the same. Don't know about the rack. But no sensors on that anyway, so change out pump and rack should (I hope) work.
Tomorrow I will drain the system and replace the oil. Nothing the loose doing that.
I am wondering if Jim could be right and a valve in the rack is giving trouble. Not sure there is any control valves in the pump.
Could a sticking valve put pressure on the pump motor causing the ECU to drop it out and throw the 13 code.

clawnz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by clawnz »

JasonFriday13 wrote:Have you checked what the battery voltage is when the car is running? An alternator that is overcharging is also possible.
14.6volts this morning. On cold start up.
No pump running.
it's raining yet again so plans to drain and refill are on hold.
But did run up pump from the 92 and it runs almost silent. When I get the 96 pump to run I will try to record the noise it is making.
Sounds very suspect to me.
Thinking a bad pump could be drawing high current. Could the ECU reading that as high voltage!