1mz v6 swap

Tyres / rust repairs & bodywork / lubrication etc - please post topics such as these that are not specific to any model of MR2 here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions that don't fit into the more specific areas of the technical section and that may apply to any type of MR2. E.g. tyres, bodywork and rust repairs, lubrication etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Mrman
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Shaun

1mz v6 swap

Post by Mrman »

Hi all I have posted my build thread in the rides section however can anyone help answer a fuel rail question I have, I have a non return style fuel rail on the 1mz-fe and need to adapt it to the mr2 return style. Can I use a fpr? Or do I have to source a early return style fuel rail? As these are quite difficult to come by.
The other option I have read is to drill/tap the rail I have but I don't quite know what exactly is required.
Any advise would be awesome.
Cheers

85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Simon

Re: 1mz v6 swap

Post by 85AW20v »

Why do you need to change it to the return style? If it's designed as non-return can't you block off the existing return line?
See ya
Simon
AW11 Racecar - 860kg

Mrman
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Mrman »

85AW20v wrote:Why do you need to change it to the return style? If it's designed as non-return can't you block off the existing return line?
These are the type of questions I have but I assume the regulator on the return style system is on the return side so I would then need to use an aftermarket regulator to keep the fuel pressure constant. I'm interested what people here have done to resolve the issue. As the earlier 1mz rails are relatively easy to get in the us but they are quite pricey from the sources I have found.

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

85AW20v wrote:Why do you need to change it to the return style? If it's designed as non-return can't you block off the existing return line?
The fuel pressure regulator is in the tank at the fuel pump on the Windom. Not as easy as just dropping the engine in. But running an aftermarket regulator before the rails could work.
Depending on how the ECU controls the fuel system is dependent on what needs to be done.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

The common way is to install a T piece on the fuel rail and have both the fuel pump and an fpr connected to the T piece.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

Mrman
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Mrman »

JasonFriday13 wrote:The common way is to install a T piece on the fuel rail and have both the fuel pump and an fpr connected to the T piece.
Hi, thanks for your reply, are you able to provide me with a little more detail as to the placement of the t piece on the rail, is it on the end of the rail?
Thanks

*84vvt
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Colin

Post by *84vvt »

This swap is covered at
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk
Best have a look there
Boosted cars are like hot women.
A little edgy, every guy wants one,
some guys can't handle them,
and if you throw a little alcohol in them they'll rock your world.

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Mrman wrote:
JasonFriday13 wrote:The common way is to install a T piece on the fuel rail and have both the fuel pump and an fpr connected to the T piece.
Hi, thanks for your reply, are you able to provide me with a little more detail as to the placement of the t piece on the rail, is it on the end of the rail?
Thanks
It is returnless right? That means there is only one connection on the rail.

I've had a look at some pictures on the interwebs, and yeah it's harder than I described. The rails have a thread in one end, and there is a one-piece pipe that screws to the rails and the inlet hose crimps to it. So yeah, you will have to do something more custom than what I've described, but the idea is still the same.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

This could be done.

http://www.mr2.com/forums/threads/31058 ... e-approach

Add in and external regulator with return line to the stock MR2 system then run the main line off the regulator to the rails like the stock 1MZ system. Just need to set the pressure.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Mrman
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Mrman »

GDII wrote:This could be done.

http://www.mr2.com/forums/threads/31058 ... e-approach

Add in and external regulator with return line to the stock MR2 system then run the main line off the regulator to the rails like the stock 1MZ system. Just need to set the pressure.
I was hoping this was the solution as it sounds the easiest to set up rather than modifying rails this is how the v8 guys sort the issue when they do the LS swaps into older EFI cars. Im interested to see what other solutions people have come up with. Thanks