popping out dents?

Tyres / rust repairs & bodywork / lubrication etc - please post topics such as these that are not specific to any model of MR2 here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions that don't fit into the more specific areas of the technical section and that may apply to any type of MR2. E.g. tyres, bodywork and rust repairs, lubrication etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
ansys
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Paul

popping out dents?

Post by ansys »

Anyone ever try removing dents in their car using boiling water and a plunger? Any success?

Is there any chance this might damage/crack the paint?

I've heard this isn't the best method for some older cars, anyone ever try this on an old SW20?

Are there any other simple DIY methods out there?

Cheers!

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Mike

Re: popping out dents?

Post by MIKEP »

Hot Water and a plunger are old school but yup ive done it. Also a slide hammer with a plunger on works

It depends how big a dent you have . Some are impossible to do with plungers and you need an Air Fist to do them.
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

Where's the dent, how big? Can you give us some pics? Can show my panel beater mate and he may be able to give some advice for alley way type work
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

MIKEP

Post by MIKEP »

Thanks for the PMs guys .this is an air fist

https://www.amazon.com/LTI-Tools-LT800- ... B000RT8FZG

They work really well.I have had mine for years

I also have one of these which are really easy to use

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FD51VEK
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President

ansys
Guest of the Club.

Post by ansys »

It's just above the plastic strip above the vents on the left side of the car. The size is about if I were to punch the car. I've attached a photo as well.
Cheers!
Attachments
dent.jpg
dent.jpg (51.77 KiB) Viewed 7909 times

ansys
Guest of the Club.

Post by ansys »

would the boiling water have a negative effect on the plastic trim in that area? or rather, any adhesive that may be keeping the trim on?

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

ansys wrote:would the boiling water have a negative effect on the plastic trim in that area? or rather, any adhesive that may be keeping the trim on?
That trim is bolted and clipped to the car so no affect on the glue because there isn't any. Boiling water shouldn't affect it too badly however this dent can be pooped out from inside the car.
Just pop up the lid on the box behind the seat, remove some push clips on the base of the side panel by the carpet (if they are still there) remove the side panel, remove the seat belt and stereo amplifiers if your car has them and push out the dent.

EDIT: Well that's all completely BS. It is double skinned... :oops:
Last edited by GDII on Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

MIKEP

Post by MIKEP »

Just pop up the lid on the box behind the seat, remove some push clips on the base of the side panel by the carpet (if they are still there) remove the side panel, remove the seat belt and stereo amplifiers if your car has them and push out the dent
YUp what he said. That one looks easy peasy
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President

ansys
Guest of the Club.

Post by ansys »

I had a go at the plunger thing and no luck. While I could see the plunger tugging at the panel, the size of it didn't seem to be right for the job.

I also had a go from the inside. I don't think there is any easy way to access the exterior panel from the inside as it seems like it almost has a double layer of metal in that area? Also, the dent seems to be just on the other side of where the interior space ends (if that makes sense) The dent is just above where that rubbery bit from the intake vents is. I feel like if I could remove that rubbery extension of the vent, then I could get my hand behind the dent. This is starting to feel like too much effort for the reward though...

85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Simon

Post by 85AW20v »

GDII wrote:...however this dent can be pooped out from inside the car......

Where that dent is, I thought it might be a bit of a shit to get at.... :lol: :P
See ya
Simon
AW11 Racecar - 860kg

GDII

Post by GDII »

85AW20v wrote:
GDII wrote:...however this dent can be pooped out from inside the car......

Where that dent is, I thought it might be a bit of a shit to get at.... :lol: :P
You love my English skills. :lol:

GDII

Post by GDII »

ansys wrote:I had a go at the plunger thing and no luck. While I could see the plunger tugging at the panel, the size of it didn't seem to be right for the job.

I also had a go from the inside. I don't think there is any easy way to access the exterior panel from the inside as it seems like it almost has a double layer of metal in that area? Also, the dent seems to be just on the other side of where the interior space ends (if that makes sense) The dent is just above where that rubbery bit from the intake vents is. I feel like if I could remove that rubbery extension of the vent, then I could get my hand behind the dent. This is starting to feel like too much effort for the reward though...
Yeah I was wrong, that area is double skinned. :oops:

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Levi

Post by 4CylinderSpecial »

Hey. Have a similar dent on my mr2. Smaller than yours but still there. Managed to take off side intake piece and move rubber out of way and could access the dent. Pushed it out with fingers and is tiny and doesn't catch light now. With a proper tool you could likely flatten it out. If it is double skinned it's quite thin material.

GDII

Post by GDII »

4CylinderSpecial wrote:Hey. Have a similar dent on my mr2. Smaller than yours but still there. Managed to take off side intake piece and move rubber out of way and could access the dent. Pushed it out with fingers and is tiny and doesn't catch light now. With a proper tool you could likely flatten it out. If it is double skinned it's quite thin material.
What I mean by double skin is there is another completely separate layer of steel at least 10mm off the outer skin for mounting interior items like the amps. Good to know there is a way to get to this area though.

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Levi

Post by 4CylinderSpecial »

GDII wrote:What I mean by double skin is there is another completely separate layer of steel at least 10mm off the outer skin for mounting interior items like the amps. Good to know there is a way to get to this area though.
Oh, okay. That make's sense. It's pliable so using something that could roll so that you could keep the curved shape of the panel would work wonders.