Tool recomendations request

Tyres / rust repairs & bodywork / lubrication etc - please post topics such as these that are not specific to any model of MR2 here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions that don't fit into the more specific areas of the technical section and that may apply to any type of MR2. E.g. tyres, bodywork and rust repairs, lubrication etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
voxson
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Adam

Tool recomendations request

Post by voxson »

Hi all,

I'm please after tool recommendations for .. well basically everything.

My current tools are a mish-mash of those cheap nasty old Warehouse plastic mould kits with a lot of missing pieces, a tiny socket set from supercheap, and a spark plug socket (which I bought ~10 years ago for my old SW20).

I've also got 2x axle stands, a small trolley jack, a small jumble of very basic sanders, bog files etc, a few basic pliers, and probably the cheapest multimeter and 12v battery charger around. I do also have an AEG cordless impact drill.

I think at minimum I'ld want a reasonable socket set, breaker bar, and torq wrench?

Any recommendations for needed tools (and good $/quality)?

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Re: Tool recomendations request

Post by GDII »

I have a lot of Powerbuilt socket sets, spanners, axle stands, jacks which have never let me down. Except for a product recall on the 2 ton axle stands many years ago. Replaced with 3 ton. Pricing is good if you buy when shops have sales. I know Repco are one of the only sellers where you can pick them up off the shelf.

Teng Tools are good. I have a 3/8 Torque wrench which is good for most stuff but not all.
Bahco are excellent. I don't own any but have used them on multiple occasions and would own myself.
King Tony are good too. Not used but heard good things.

Don't forget a good set of screwdrivers, they make taking apart the interior easier as well as a plastic panel removal tool set.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

This is a minimum price set, you can spend as much as you want but if you're doing some work it's not needed.
  • The best value for money socket set I've seen is the Stanley ones at SCA, buy them on special $200
  • 1/4" and a 1/2" torque wrench (ToolPro, Toledo, etc. the entry ones are fine) $100 ea
  • The biggest 1/2" breaker bar you can find, 0.75m min and have a look at the head because that's where they break. TBH I got a ToolPro one when I was in a pinch, I've abused it and it's still going, undeniably the best $50 I've spent.
  • 1/2" long 6point socket set of at least Stanley quality minimum $50
  • Hex key set, ToolPro shit isn't good enough here because one day you'll come across something tight and you need a quality set otherwise you'll ruin the set and what you're undoing $30
Don't bother with cheap socket sets, especially that MechPro shit because they just break or round. I've helped too many people and it's happened every damn time.

The rest you'll figure out as you need it, funnels (a lot of them, especially one that goes in tight to the filler for bleeding), ball joint separators, brake calliper piston rewind cubes, ratcheting spanners, etc.

You probably only need a cheap multimeter. Buy a Ctek charger, they're expensive but the cheap ones break pretty quickly. Also, you'll need a charger with multiple stages for sealed calcium batteries.

@GDII is about right, yes my King Tony stuff is great but it can get very pricey very quickly

voxson
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by voxson »

GDII wrote:
mknz wrote:
Thank you both - I'll start another shopping list :D

I sure I saw some powerbuilt gear at Te Rapa (Hamilton) Mitre10 yesterday, and a Fuller small Torque wrench (didn't pay attention to sizing), which was.. $87?

Not sure if this is any good:
https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/powerbui ... e/p/236010

Are there any places I should be looking at for tools, that are better than others?

Any that offer club members a discount? (my initial sub got paid yesterday, just waiting on confirmation from the club)

Logan
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Logan

Post by Logan »

mknz wrote:This is a minimum price set, you can spend as much as you want but if you're doing some work it's not needed.
  • The best value for money socket set I've seen is the Stanley ones at SCA, buy them on special $200
  • 1/4" and a 1/2" torque wrench (ToolPro, Toledo, etc. the entry ones are fine) $100 ea
  • The biggest 1/2" breaker bar you can find, 0.75m min and have a look at the head because that's where they break. TBH I got a ToolPro one when I was in a pinch, I've abused it and it's still going, undeniably the best $50 I've spent.
  • 1/2" long 6point socket set of at least Stanley quality minimum $50
  • Hex key set, ToolPro shit isn't good enough here because one day you'll come across something tight and you need a quality set otherwise you'll ruin the set and what you're undoing $30
This is a pretty good guide.
I've not had much luck with Stanley products in the past so tend to steer clear. I've now got a Great Neck socket set which is about the same price as mentioned above but have had no breakages after heavy abuse. (Lots of engine out jobs, putting 1m + bars on the ratchet etc). 5 years of abuse and the only issues I've had is the direction switch breaking on the ratchets, although they are still usable.

I'd add that ratcheting spanners are a necessity. Get a good set with your basic 10mm, 12mm, 14mm and 17mm at least.

And if you want some equipment that will make your life easier, consider a couple of long reach spanners, something like these:
https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict ... m-3223.jpg

Sorry I don't remember the brand I've got of these.
1996 Turbo SW20

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

I have that Powerbuilt 1/2" set but it's in a metal box. Had it for 12+ years and it's been great. I also have a 3/8" set and looking to get 1/4" too for smaller things.
The only thing that has gone wrong with the 1/2" ratchet is the reverse/forward switch has fallen out. But to me it's a bonus as I remember when it was in I kept switching it easily the wrong way so now it's bump proof. :twisted:

I found some of the ToolPro from Supercheap is a bit weak and rusts easily. And yes the Mecpro Repco brand stuff can be pretty weak.

My favorite tool its my Fuller 200mm pliers.
https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/fuller-2 ... e/p/253272

My screwdriver set is actually a really cheap one but has been so good. It was actually a gift from my mum but has proven to be excellent. The case has seen better days but the tools are great.
https://www.flybuys.co.nz/rewards/trade ... utlet_id=0
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

BNT, Auto One (Manukau) can get any quality tools you want (e.g. King Tony) and has some cheaper stuff (Powerbuilt), Saeco, I'm probably forgetting some that also look after the club.

Stanley upped their quality on their more expensive stuff to support a lifetime warranty. If you can find an old set (15+ years ago) of screwdrivers, they're invincible. Tool brands quality change with time.

Ratcheting spanners aren't a necessity; they speed up the process as you should be initially loosening with the ring end. I'd recommend you get a quality set (King Tony) of flare wrenches before ratcheting.

Both ToolPro and Powerbuilt have good and bad sections of the range, so you have to have a look before you buy.

Great Neck is okay.

After seeing what comes back (my work sells tools) I have a pretty good idea what specific tools you don't want to touch and vice versa (I've even seen King Tony breaker bars fail at the head although that was a defect), it's probably better if you post what you're thinking of getting and we'll say yes/no.

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Justin

Post by Gleshlich »

Bahco box set is very versatile. I take it with me when I move around the country and barely ever need much else
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring

voxson
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by voxson »

Thank you everyone for your help and recommendations
Gleshlich wrote:Bahco box set is very versatile. I take it with me when I move around the country and barely ever need much else
That kit seems pretty comprehensive & lifetime guarantee too, is what I'm looking at what you mean>https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/bahco-so ... e/p/267254 ?

I'ld never heard of Bahco before, it was always snap-on or something else (cannot remember) from my more mechanically minded mates, but for I know they could have been garbage :) *edit - I see that Bahco is part of Snap-on now, but has been around for a long time

Malcolm
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

We have a few different brands at work, and I've got a bit of a mix at home. To make it simple, here's my list of what I would buy and what I wouldn't.

Would buy - roughly in order of preference
- King Tony (2 full roller cab sets at work and they're great, only thing I don't like is the ratchets)
- Bahco (I have a basic set with 1/4" and 1/2" sockets, spanners, driver bits which cost around $250? And it's a great combination of quality and value for money)
- Powerbuilt (I have lots of one-off powerbuilt tools when I've needed something and shot down to repco to buy it)
- Jonnesway (several bits and pieces at work, such as 1/4" socket sets, Allen keys, pliers etc and they're good)
- Toptul (seems to be another one with reasonable quality and value for money)
- Facom (used to have sponsorship when I was at uni and they're great quality, but pricey)

Would not buy
- SP Tools (we got a full roller cab set at work and it's ssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttttttt)
- Fuller
- anything that's clearly a lot cheaper than the normal price for good stuff
- Anything with gimmicky colouring (it just seems unlikely to be good)

I think a good approach to building a tool set, if you don't have the money to buy a full roller cab set, is to just buy a decent quality set of sockets (ideally in all 3 common sizes, but depends on budget), screwdrivers, ring spanners, Allen keys and pliers, then just buy additional stuff as you need it. Stuff like deep sockets, ratchet spanners, hex driver sockets, extra long/double ring ended spanners, swivel head ratchets etc will all give you more options when you have a tricky bolt, but the usefulness will depend a lot on exactly what type of work you're doing.

Having said that, some tools I've bought which I've immediately wished I had bought years earlier are:
- good quality trolley jack that can fully lift your car to a workable height in one go (the amount of time I wasted with a crappy little jack, going up, putting blocks under jack, going up a bit further, putting more blocks under jack....)
- these https://www.amazon.com/4525-Cable-Type- ... B000F5JM0O
- this specific type of oil filter socket https://www.amazon.com/Motivx-Tools-Adj ... B01BS5B3ZQ

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Gleshlich »

Oh did I mention Bahco is now owned by snap on too
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring

*84vvt
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Colin

Post by *84vvt »

Gleshlich wrote:Bahco box set is very versatile. I take it with me when I move around the country and barely ever need much else
This will get you stared
add to it as you need
Boosted cars are like hot women.
A little edgy, every guy wants one,
some guys can't handle them,
and if you throw a little alcohol in them they'll rock your world.

voxson
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by voxson »

Seems the Bahco box is the way to go! At least, initially anyway.
Malcolm wrote: Would not buy
- Fuller
Might be a stupid question, but does that include torque wrenches?

Does Amazon ship to Australia? Wife is going over early next month so might be an opportunity to get a few small things

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Rodney

Post by Speedhog »

Powerbuilt and Toptul.
1/4' Sockets
3/8' Sockets
3/4' Sockets
1/2' Sockets.
A selection of spanners, 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 22, and a Very Large NutFker(Adjusted Wrench, for moving arms to the right orientation, never used on actual nuts and bolts.)
Another selection of the 10,12,14, 17 Ratchet spanners, these are the most common sizes on a car and they save you time like nothing. (never beat a rattle gun but not everyone gonna get one of those)

Deep reach sockets save time and agro when working on cars as well. Also get a 17/19/21mm deep reach socket with powerbar for your Wheels, lots easier undo with one.

Jack's are a thing that depends on the surface. I have a 3.0 ton Supercheap jack that lifts to a decent height. Sorry I don't know how much it cost, Wife brought it for me.
Axle stands! Use over rated for safety, no such thing as too big!

Torque wrench, we have a 3/8' and a 3/4'. The 3/4's is used mainly for the wheels to ~105nm. 3/8's is better for working on a motor with.

Cam gear locks.. Not really needed on a non-interference motor but help when re-timing the belts upon a build.

Also have a Repco branded LARGE toolbox complete, yet to break a tool on it. Very surprised.

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Gleshlich »

Make sure you get a good rechargeable light too
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring