Tool recomendations request

Tyres / rust repairs & bodywork / lubrication etc - please post topics such as these that are not specific to any model of MR2 here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions that don't fit into the more specific areas of the technical section and that may apply to any type of MR2. E.g. tyres, bodywork and rust repairs, lubrication etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Al

Re: Tool recomendations request

Post by Alsw20 »

The way I do it is I have basic tools, Fuller Pro usually.

If they break, I replace them with Snap On.

Malcolm
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

voxson wrote:Seems the Bahco box is the way to go! At least, initially anyway.
Malcolm wrote: Would not buy
- Fuller
Might be a stupid question, but does that include torque wrenches?

Does Amazon ship to Australia? Wife is going over early next month so might be an opportunity to get a few small things
There's not much point having a torque wrench if it's not accurate, and if it's very cheap I wouldn't expect it to be very accurate. Having said that, I've never bought a cheap torque wrench and checked the accuracy.

It's probably better to buy tools locally if possible, just so you can warranty them if you do manage to break them. Those Amazon links I posted were just because they were the first images I found from a Google search. Generally if Amazon won't ship something to NZ it's due to an export restriction AFAIK, so they wouldn't ship it to any countries other than US & Canada. You can use Youshop to circumvent this.

voxson
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Adam

Post by voxson »

Malcolm wrote:
voxson wrote:Seems the Bahco box is the way to go! At least, initially anyway.
Malcolm wrote: Would not buy
- Fuller
Might be a stupid question, but does that include torque wrenches?

Does Amazon ship to Australia? Wife is going over early next month so might be an opportunity to get a few small things
There's not much point having a torque wrench if it's not accurate, and if it's very cheap I wouldn't expect it to be very accurate. Having said that, I've never bought a cheap torque wrench and checked the accuracy.

It's probably better to buy tools locally if possible, just so you can warranty them if you do manage to break them. Those Amazon links I posted were just because they were the first images I found from a Google search. Generally if Amazon won't ship something to NZ it's due to an export restriction AFAIK, so they wouldn't ship it to any countries other than US & Canada. You can use Youshop to circumvent this.
Makes complete sence cheers.

I see aliexpress has a few similar filter sockets for quite cheap, which might be an option.

OK. So far my immediate tool shopping list is:
1x Bahco 106 piece set (https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/bahco-so ... e/p/267254)
1x Good 1/2" torque wrench (need to call around for pricing)
1x Screwdriver set (maybe GDII's flybys one - I think I have enough points).
?2x magnetic work lights

Later purchases:
Impact hammer (probably an AEG cordless because I already have batteries etc)
Deep sockets for impact hammer
2x more axle stands
3/4" socket set & torque wrench
Buffer/Polisher
Better jack
Engine hoist (276k and counting...)
Spring compressors

Long term plan:
A proper garage
2 post vehicle lift
Creeper
Proper tool box

Im also loving the idea of learning to wield, but that is pretty low on the to do list...

Anythings that you all would change?

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Keep away from Ali Express for tools of unknown brand. They may look the same but will break. Sockets can explode, crack or bend. Nothing worse than ruining a perfectly good bolt or nut with a crappy tool. Also when they fail you end up hurting yourself.

If you are just working on an SW20 you won't need spring compressors. They have so little load on spring you can do it by hand with a mate. Lowering springs can be done on your own. But if you are doing other cars they are useful to have.

Loving the long term goals. :twisted:
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

voxson
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by voxson »

GDII wrote:Keep away from Ali Express for tools of unknown brand. They may look the same but will break. Sockets can explode, crack or bend. Nothing worse than ruining a perfectly good bolt or nut with a crappy tool. Also when they fail you end up hurting yourself.

If you are just working on an SW20 you won't need spring compressors. They have so little load on spring you can do it by hand with a mate. Lowering springs can be done on your own. But if you are doing other cars they are useful to have.

Loving the long term goals. :twisted:
Aliexpress was only for an oil filter socket. I learned my leasson with nasty tools many years ago :)

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

That should be fine. I need one of those, these 3S engines in the MR2 make it silly hard to get at. At least the GEN2 models...
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Simon

Post by 85AW20v »

Did you really mean a 3/4" socket set and torque wrench or should that have been 3/8"? You would really only use 3/4" on trucks etc. I think the highest torque setting on an MR2 is the rear axle nut at 139ft/lbs - on an AW anyway - and you can do that with a decent 1/2" drive torque wrench.
See ya
Simon
AW11 Racecar - 860kg

voxson
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by voxson »

85AW20v wrote:Did you really mean a 3/4" socket set and torque wrench or should that have been 3/8"? You would really only use 3/4" on trucks etc. I think the highest torque setting on an MR2 is the rear axle nut at 139ft/lbs - on an AW anyway - and you can do that with a decent 1/2" drive torque wrench.
My bad, 3/8 is the correct size

Reuban
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Hawkes Bay
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Reuban

Post by Reuban »

I second getting a 1/4" and 1/2" torque wrenches, 6mm threads break like baby carrots for me, hence the 1/4". 1/2" is mainly for wheel nuts/head bolts for me. (i have 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 20nm-180nm, and 1/2 50nm-280nm)
I have a tool pro 1/2" 600mm power bar also and it seems to be indestructible, even when you pull the rubber handle off and put a 1.5m bit of box section on it (which i still have as it's bent!)
A Jonnesway 1/4" and 3/8" socket set with tube sockets does 99% of my work, 1/2" only ends up on one of the rattle guns for me. P-no S04H52345S http://custportal.bntnz.co.nz/custporta ... tails=true

Its been so long since i needed to use something outside of my shed i am struggling to remember, this next bit is bearing in mind i have a compressor(50l tank 10cfm) and my shed is bigger than my house!
1/2" rattle gun
1/4" air ratchet
1/4f>3/8m adaptor

one of the most used tools i have is these ,P-no w61105s http://custportal.bntnz.co.nz/custporta ... ?id=192880

seconded by these JW765- - ( my get out of jail free card) jw 12*14mm flex ratch box head exact dot search parameters

tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

Older thread but I thought I would put my vote in for Teng Tools for anyone looking for new stuff. Also facom- I bought a 14mm/15mm ring spanner as a 1/2 breaker will fit in the 15mm ring. I put my 50cm breaker through it to undo countless very tight 14mm bolts over the years, I doubt many tools would stand up to that abuse.

I have used www.mytools.co.nz recently. They are the online shop for tradetools. Took a week to process the order (or perhaps order the part in from overseas), shipping is free and took less than 24 hours when they did finally send it.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato