E153 LSD

Tyres / rust repairs & bodywork / lubrication etc - please post topics such as these that are not specific to any model of MR2 here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions that don't fit into the more specific areas of the technical section and that may apply to any type of MR2. E.g. tyres, bodywork and rust repairs, lubrication etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Re: E153 LSD

Post by GDII »

Is the red things LSD set to 2 way or 1.5 way? You can set the 2 way unit to either. Maybe you just haven't driven it enough :?: :mrgreen:
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

GDII wrote:Is the red things LSD set to 2 way or 1.5 way? You can set the 2 way unit to either. Maybe you just haven't driven it enough :?: :mrgreen:
Damn right, I haven't driven it enough...!!! Hopefully that starts to change this summer...

The only thing that sends you wrong way around in the red thing is hitting the brakes too hard at 200kmh cos the fronts are huge but the rears are still standard. Another thing that will need to change at some point... But the diff as far as I know is 2 way and not caused me any grief. My main point however is about oil. Makes oil the diff-erence. :wink:

Wrong oil can take a perfectly excellent limited slip diff and make it behave like it's a knackered piece o' sh... Just like crap tyres can make a perfectly excellent sports car lethal in the wet.
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

mickeyduck wrote:
GDII wrote:Is the red things LSD set to 2 way or 1.5 way? You can set the 2 way unit to either. Maybe you just haven't driven it enough :?: :mrgreen:
Damn right, I haven't driven it enough...!!! Hopefully that starts to change this summer...

The only thing that sends you wrong way around in the red thing is hitting the brakes too hard at 200kmh cos the fronts are huge but the rears are still standard. Another thing that will need to change at some point... But the diff as far as I know is 2 way and not caused me any grief. My main point however is about oil. Makes oil the diff-erence. :wink:

Wrong oil can take a perfectly excellent limited slip diff and make it behave like it's a knackered piece o' sh... Just like crap tyres can make a perfectly excellent sports car lethal in the wet.
Yeah oil seems to be a major factor with diffs and gearboxes in general.

You need to get some RX8 Sport front rotors and some caliper spacers and put them on the rear and maybe an adjustable brake bias valve to make sure the fronts aren't going to mess with things.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Rodney

Post by Speedhog »

mickeyduck wrote:2 way TRD in the red thing's E153 never caused me any worries, works fine. Hoping to have the red thing back on the road soon too, (WIP). Torsen in the GT86 is ok even if the car is designed to hang its arse out with the slightest application of throttle. And the LSD that my AW had in its E51 (speedo drive gear got eaten) was brilliant but ONLY if you used the right gearbox oil. And on that note, having tried a number of gearbox oils, I'd say that Motul or Redline are the only ones worth bothering with. And in my experience the right gearbox oil makes a HUGE (pardon the pun) difference.
Vertex Trans oil, if you like you wallet being empty, is also good.