Apexi Coilover question

Tyres / rust repairs & bodywork / lubrication etc - please post topics such as these that are not specific to any model of MR2 here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions that don't fit into the more specific areas of the technical section and that may apply to any type of MR2. E.g. tyres, bodywork and rust repairs, lubrication etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
gruk
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: James

Apexi Coilover question

Post by gruk »

Hi everyone,

My MR2 came with a set of Apexi N1 2000 spec coilovers. They are adjustible, and the ride is currently very very firm. You definitely notice every bump on the road, and Wellington streets have many.
I've done some research into them, but there isn't a lot to read. This is a diagram for a 2005 set for a subaru:
Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 9.13.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 9.13.49 PM.png (106.91 KiB) Viewed 4026 times
It's newer from mine, but also an N1 damper.
From the diagram I would assume that I turn the ride stiffness adjuster to the left to help soften things up.
However, mine doesn't have a nice little knob. It has a hex key hole and a bolt:
IMG_0762.JPG
The hex size looks to be about 6.5ml - not a standard size in metric, so probably a 1/4 for imperical? Nothing I have fits snug enough for me to be willing to turn. I don't want to round anything off. It's quite firm, certainly not an easy turn.

Apexi do sell a hex key for this:
https://apexi-usa.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=hex&cat=

Also an adjuster top which may or may not fit my shocks. The problem here is that I can't purchase with an NZ credit card - their site get's upset as they only allow US addresses, and I can't use my YouShop address as my billing address. The website get's annoyed - AVS mismatch.

Alternatively there are other ways to adjust adjustable shocks:
IMG_0754.JPG
I'm just not so experienced with any of this. I imagine that pushing the ride height up might help a little. I'm not sure what the bottom screw will do. I'm new to this suspension stuff :)
Is anyone able to offer some guidance?

Cheers,

James
'90 SW20 NA - White NZ new T-Top

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Re: Apexi Coilover question

Post by GDII »

These are probably always going to be stiffer than you want them to be. That's just how the design of these coilovers work. The damping is very stiff to go with the spring rate.

Not sure if you are able to bring it over to me tomorrow so I can have a look at them. I have imperial and metric hex keys which might help.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Justin

Post by Gleshlich »

Two main adjustments you can make.

1: Damping as you have pointed out with the hex key at the top
2: Spring rate preload. Loosen off the collar that sits against the spring. Make sure the spring is captive and then wind it approx 8-10mm. These collars are usually set quite tight. This sets the amount of spring force before the spring begins to compress (also the amount of droop you get going over bumps)

Alternatively you can swap the springs out for softer spring rates
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring

gruk
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: James

Post by gruk »

Gleshlich wrote:Two main adjustments you can make.

1: Damping as you have pointed out with the hex key at the top
2: Spring rate preload. Loosen off the collar that sits against the spring. Make sure the spring is captive and then wind it approx 8-10mm. These collars are usually set quite tight. This sets the amount of spring force before the spring begins to compress (also the amount of droop you get going over bumps)

Alternatively you can swap the springs out for softer spring rates
Brilliant, thanks Justin. Heading off to meet Phil soon, we'll see how we get on with this.
'90 SW20 NA - White NZ new T-Top

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Still not quite sure the exact method of adjusting the damping level of these. The is 6mm hex that turns(?) the centre part inside the main mounting nut that is worn out a bit hence the 6.5mm hex key suggestion. I didn't want to turn it as I wasn't sure what this did. There is also a 4mm hex inside the 6mm hex that is a little grub screw. Seemed like a little rubber plug under that and I'm also not sure what that does so left it.

As for the ride, I don't believe it is that stiff but it is very bouncy. Sure it will be stiffer than most lowering springs but could be a lot worse. Tyres seem to chirp on tight corners as the car moves around on the suspension but they are economy tyres. The dampers are either too stiff or worn out. Hard to tell what condition they are in without removing them from the car and taking the spring off. There is a bit of knocking in the left side struts but this could be swaybar links or ball joints too. The swaybar bushes were OK.

So based on this information what is the actual adjustment?
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/