Manawatu Monthly Run

Events include those run by the Club and those run by others which are of interest to Club Members (e.g. track days). Events may be posted or run by any financial club member but an Area Coordinator or Committee may step in. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership

Moderators: Moderators, Area Coordinators

Forum rules
Events may be posted and run by any financial club member but are subject to moderation by an Area Coordinator or Committee. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership
optional
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Keith

Manawatu Monthly Run

Post by optional »

Manawatu Monthly Run.

Since I have been very pre-occupied and distracted ( read Lazy and busy looking for a new car ) I have not yet organised a run for this month. So....
There is a track day at Manfeild this Sunday, and some of our members will be there. So I am suggesting that we make this the monthly run. Those who have entered the track day will get an extra challenge point. I think that's fair. How about another point for anyone who can consistently improve his times throughout the day? I can supply a stop watch if one is needed.
For those not interested in the track day there is a Coach Museum near Manfeild that I have always meant to visit. There is also a Get together in Hawkes Bay at the end of the month. Sue and I are going and it would be good to take a group up to say hi! There is a new A/C there and he needs some help and encouragement. We could even sort out some possible joint overnight runs. I propose a Challenge Point for anyone who comes to Napier with us.
Keith

*84vvt
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Colin

Re: Manawatu Monthly Run

Post by *84vvt »

I think I should get a extra point for organising this months run for you , as I cant make it to Napier .
Boosted cars are like hot women.
A little edgy, every guy wants one,
some guys can't handle them,
and if you throw a little alcohol in them they'll rock your world.

rocco26
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: brian

Post by rocco26 »

Sorry, I'm away.Sounds good thou.

Gaz007
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wairarapa
First name: Gary

Post by Gaz007 »

Hi guys, I'm booked in $140 for the day (this Sunday) but we go out in 3 groups, first time, medium pace or watched Lewis Hamilton and think you can do better group :D Guess which is my group 8)
You can have a second driver for free, so share the costs and drive one car in different groups. My son is the second driver it's his birthday :D
Well organised and run, go as fast or slow as you want.
Go to Playday on track website for details but you'll need to be quick.
Cheers Gary

ps I'm going to Napier run as well !!!

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

I'll probably have the slowest car there and being a track noob I'll be in the slow group. 8)
It will be good to catch up with you guys again and learn some stuff from the more experienced drivers.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Gaz007

Post by Gaz007 »

You will not be the slowest car .... You start in slow group because it's your first time, then you can pick what ever group you want after that.
There are guys with big horsepower that can't corner and you'll be surprised at how you can pass them and they can't catch you after a few more corners. Mr2's handle well
It is lots of fun and there is no 1st , 2nd or 3rd place just legal hooning :D ... with out the risk of a ticket :D
See you there.

GDII

Post by GDII »

True, maybe just the slowest straight line. I'm hoping my handling upgrades make it stick well. I can play around with my swaybars to see what settings work.
I don't mind being in the slow/learner group. I'm there to have fun and learn but I'm extremely competitive. :roll: :lol: I know it's not a race day and there are no hero prizes for going all out.

85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Simon

Post by 85AW20v »

Keep an eye on your mirrors too. If you see someone catching you in the corners they've probably been out there before. Let them through and tuck in behind them and see what lines they're using.

First time out, you won't have any issues as you won't know the capabilities and limits of your brakes or tyres and will be worried about getting it all wrong. You will find that after a couple of sessions that you can actually brake a hell of a lot later and a lot harder than what you think you can and that is when it starts to get interesting - when you're getting nearer to the mechanical limits of tyres and brakes.

I'm sure you know this but I'll say it anyway - always brake in a straight line. The demon late braking moves don't work in an MR2. 3/4 of the way through the corner and you'll probably be spinning with the resultant red face and potential for contact. Back on the throttle as you're going through the corner is the key which is also how you're going to pass the guy in front of you as you'll have a faster corner exit speed. And at Playdays- if it's a Gary Stirling one - you're only allowed to pass under acceleration, not under brakes coming into a corner so corner exit speed can be quite crucial.

Hope this helps you a bit but most of all - HAVE FUN!! :D
See ya
Simon
AW11 Racecar - 860kg

GDII

Post by GDII »

Thanks Simon

It's always great to get advice from those who actually take their car to the track. I'll be sure to brake in a straight line and power through and out of the corners. That has always been my driving style for these cars anyway but I have not been able to apply it in a controlled environment anywhere near the limit of grip.

Fun shall be had!

ClanFever
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

You'll find the potenzas will warm up and lose grip after a few laps. Hopefully you dont rip a swaybar link off like I did
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

GDII

Post by GDII »

ClanFever wrote:You'll find the potenzas will warm up and lose grip after a few laps. Hopefully you dont rip a swaybar link off like I did
Going to need some track tyres in the future but that's just something I can think about later on. I haven't even done one track day yet. :roll:

I won't break one, mine are custom built and far stronger than the tiny GEN1 links.

*84vvt
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Colin

Post by *84vvt »

GDII wrote:
ClanFever wrote:You'll find the potenzas will warm up and lose grip after a few laps. Hopefully you don't rip a sway bar link off like I did
Going to need some track tyres in the future but that's just something I can think about later on. I haven't even done one track day yet. :roll:

I won't break one, mine are custom built and far stronger than the tiny GEN1 links.
Iv done my quickest lap time on Grid 111s 1:29 something short shifting a black top 20v you will be ok on them .
you will be OK out there just go have fun . and I hope you have a camera in car for videos for us all to see......
Boosted cars are like hot women.
A little edgy, every guy wants one,
some guys can't handle them,
and if you throw a little alcohol in them they'll rock your world.

Gaz007

Post by Gaz007 »

I did constant 1.29's with everything standard Turbo SW20 but running semi-slicks, a lot of fun, wore out my front disc pads :D cheers Gary