AKL - Waikato - BOP run Sunday 4th February

Events include those run by the Club and those run by others which are of interest to Club Members (e.g. track days). Events may be posted or run by any financial club member but an Area Coordinator or Committee may step in. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership

Moderators: Moderators, Area Coordinators

Forum rules
Events may be posted and run by any financial club member but are subject to moderation by an Area Coordinator or Committee. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership
Mr-Paulio
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Paul

Re: AKL - Waikato - BOP Thundercats 6 Jan 2018

Post by Mr-Paulio »

mickeyduck wrote:Maybe you could set it to idle at 3000 rpm and leave it there for an hour in the driveway Paul? Might want to try it on a cooler kind of day though...
That sounds like a terrible idea, and waste of fuel! Think I'd rather take it in a few more pie runs! :lol:
I've put a few hours on it already. 99% sure the alternator is sorted :wink: :wink:
'89 AW11 V6 Turbo (350BHP & 380Ft/lbs!) :twisted:
'86 AW11 20V (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo "BlackRat" #RatRodStyle (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo (Sold) :(
South Auckland Area Coordinator

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

I have an SW too so I don't have to worry about rust but I'd rather not use it until I get some new rubber (protection is always good :P ). Even so I'd rather not do any spirited driving in heavy rain. The good news is that the rain will clean up the road surface for us.

The roads are most certainly fun and we should do them at some point (along with the road between kopu and Whitianga).

I could tail in a jazz or leave it behind and catch a ride in someone's passenger seat. Maybe SW and ZZW owners can open their hearts and unlock their passenger doors?

Hey Charlie are we still racing to get our SWs run ready? :lol:

I do think this time of year is particularly dangerous; people driving on unknown roads, more people, traffic frustrations, people on the wrong side of the road, more motorcycles, etc. As for anecdotal evidence one of my previous co-workers didn't turn up one day, apparently she was taking it easy through the back roads then someone flew into her on the wrong side of the road around a blind corner and almost killed her. I know it could happen at any time but she was in a modern car with far more safety features and this time of the year is particularly bad for this type of poor driving display.

Then if you're Ivor there's also the higher chance of getting a small speeding ticket :P

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Ivor

Post by psyguy »

mknz wrote:Maybe SW and ZZW owners can open their hearts and unlock their passenger doors?
-------
Then if you're Ivor there's also the higher chance of getting a small speeding ticket :P
Yo, Michael, happy to have you as a passenger anytime - and share the cost of any speeding tickets I may get! :wink:

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

psyguy wrote:
mknz wrote:Maybe SW and ZZW owners can open their hearts and unlock their passenger doors?
-------
Yo, Michael, happy to have you as a passenger anytime - and share the cost of any speeding tickets I may get! :wink:
Keen, and of course. We'll see if the gas and food is more expensive than any tickets but your car only sips at gas

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by psyguy »

mknz wrote: Keen, and of course. We'll see if the gas and food is more expensive than any tickets but your car only sips at gas
Ha ha yes it doesn't use much petrol, does it?

Seriously though, I haven't had a ticket in years and it would be good to keep it that way :)

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Charlie

Re: AKL - Waikato - BOP run postponed

Post by mickeyduck »

Just finished wading through the Police, Council etc reports of what this storm's been up to.

There will be trees down, branches and mud and rocks on the road thanks to slips (big or small) and no matter which way you look at it, the drive will be a lot less fun than it ought to be.

Remember the last Kaiaua run that we decided would go ahead regardless of the weather? Tip-toeing through mud wasn't exactly much of a blast, was it?

Some may remember the green and brown SW in this picture... :wink:

Hats off to them that came on the day, but I'm sure we all could have had a lot more fun if we'd put it off a couple of weeks.
And this must be said also: we had less than half the cars on that run as we usually do, thanks to the conditions. That's a LOT of folk missed out on what is usually a true highlight of the year for the club. We'd have been better off rescheduling it, for everyone's sakes.

I'm going to call this one now because even if the weather turns out bright and sunny tomorrow morning, the roads will be rubbish and therefore the drive will be too. Let's give it a fortnight or so for the roads to be cleaned up: trees, branches, mud, rocks etc removed. Let's do this run when we can all commit to it due to fine weather and when we can all enjoy it to its full extent.

I'm going to reschedule this run for Sunday 4th February. Dependent on whether that suits Ross or not.

In between now and then we Aucklanders may do a small trip up north for some Pizza (20th January perhaps?)
http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14588
Might be a good way to test some AW's. Paul knows where he can park up if he needs to. :wink:

Sound like a plan guys?
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by psyguy »

I would have been there nonetheless as I'm itching for a ride 8) but yes that's a sensible call Charlie!

Cai
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Cai

Post by Cai »

Thanks for deciding to postpone, mickeyduck. Personally I would be gutted if I missed this drive due to a bit of rain. Let's hope we have fantastic weather in February for it! Too bad about not being able to see the Thundercats, but I reckon the drive and BBQ would be the major highlights regardless.

chief1eye
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Ross

Post by chief1eye »

Yeah, good idea see photo below of the Omokoroa Domain under water !!!!
Attachments
Omokoroa Domain Flooded.jpg
Omokoroa Domain Flooded.jpg (160.07 KiB) Viewed 2428 times

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Wow. Yep that's looking pretty soggy Ross. :shock:
I hope your place is ok?

PLEASE NOTE EVERYONE: I messed up with the date (now corrected).
Aiming for Sunday the 4th February,
NOT the 3rd.

See you all then! With large doses of sunscreen! 8)

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

UberNZ
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Jamie

Post by UberNZ »

Ahh, that'll clash with Leadfoot Festival (3rd and 4th of Feb), but I'll be there for the next one.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

UberNZ wrote:Ahh, that'll clash with Leadfoot Festival (3rd and 4th of Feb), but I'll be there for the next one.
Sorry Jamie, I didn't know anyone was going. Have a great time. We enjoyed it last year. And next year maybe we can make it a bit of a club event? :idea:

CJ
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: CJ

Post by CJ »

with the date change....i'll see if i can get my butt into gear and fix the MR2.

Mr-Paulio
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Paul

Post by Mr-Paulio »

mickeyduck wrote:In between now and then we Aucklanders may do a small trip up north for some Pizza (20th January perhaps?)
http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14588
Might be a good way to test some AW's. Paul knows where he can park up if he needs to. :wink:
The pizza run is probably about the same distance away, for me anyway! :lol: :lol:
'89 AW11 V6 Turbo (350BHP & 380Ft/lbs!) :twisted:
'86 AW11 20V (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo "BlackRat" #RatRodStyle (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo (Sold) :(
South Auckland Area Coordinator

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Hey it occurred to me I've set this up for the Sunday of what's kinda Waitangi weekend. Though Waitangi Day falls on the Tuesday this year not the Monday. So I dunno if the holiday madness will be happening this year or not? Even if it is, most people going away will likely be taking the Monday off to have a 4 day weekend. So we'll go ahead anyway, yeah? Or does the weekend I've picked mean half our crew won't make it either? Sing out now before it's too late...! :idea: