AKL - Waikato - BOP run Sunday 4th February

Events include those run by the Club and those run by others which are of interest to Club Members (e.g. track days). Events may be posted or run by any financial club member but an Area Coordinator or Committee may step in. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership

Moderators: Moderators, Area Coordinators

Forum rules
Events may be posted and run by any financial club member but are subject to moderation by an Area Coordinator or Committee. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership
mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Re: AKL - Waikato - BOP Thundercats 6 Jan 2018

Post by mickeyduck »

OK so at this stage we are going ahead with this run. Two things however...

Firstly it looks like a HUGE storm will come through on Thursday night / Friday morning. I'm picking there will be complete chaos in the Coromandel for starters. Hopefully it doesn't wash out any of the back-roads I'm thinking of taking to the Mount.

On the Saturday it's possible it turns out to be wet and windy. This means either we cancel the run (and make a mission of it to Tauranga another day, after all the holiday madness is over) or we proceed as planned, see how good our tyres are in the wet, and possibly watch the Thundercats in huge surf with the wind blowing into the waves!
Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 9.48.46 am.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 9.48.46 am.png (289.48 KiB) Viewed 2731 times
The second consideration is that it's holiday time and as Ross has pointed out the traffic and parking at the Mount may be utterly nuts. On the plus side if the weather is wild and wet, maybe the traffic and parking situation would be a whole lot better than expected? :lol:

We'll have to make the call nearer the day, so STAY TUNED and watch this thread.

If the weather is ok and the traffic and parking are rubbish, we may find ourselves doing more of a drive-by at the Mount and heading straight over to meet Ross at Omokoroa for a BBQ. Be sure to bring BBQ food folks! And sunscreen and a brolly! :lol:

And remember, Aucklanders, if we go ahead as planned it's a 9am meet at BP on SH1 Drury on SATURDAY 6th Jan.

Catchas!
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

I'll be there provided there's no rain, I don't want to run the risk of getting soaked even though it's only happened once

Cai
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Cai

Post by Cai »

Similarly to Michael, I will only be going if the weather is fine. I don't want to miss two events in a row right after getting an MR2, but until I deal with a couple of rust spots and get it repainted I don't want to get the car that wet!

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Fair enough guys. Isaac's been rust-killing all over the place on his AW too.

Anyway I've come to learn the idea of a BBQ on the beach watching the Thundercats at the Mount is basically never going to happen due to the parking issues there. Sorry, my bad for being a dreamer, I haven't been to the Mount in 30 years and had no idea it was quite that hopeless. We had tons of parking and a great spot on the beach when we went to see the Thundercats at Waipu Cove 7 years ago. Maybe they ought to go back to Waipu?

That said, if the weather is fine and dry the drive down and back will be a blast as I know some very cool back roads (scouted it out with Michael a while back). And it'd be nice to catch up with Ross and the rest of the BOP crew of course. Ross' suggestion of a BBQ at the Omokoroa domain sounds like a really nice "Plan B". 8)

Let's hope the storm blows over and buggers off by Friday night eh?

OK off outside to carry on working on Isaac's AW... Might see you Saturday.

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

UberNZ
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Jamie

Post by UberNZ »

Sounds like a decent plan B to me. And same sort of situation with me - I'll be keeping an eye on the weather, and if it's cleared up by Saturday, I'm pretty sure I'll be in.

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

Big Red is all Cleaned,serviced and WOF,D ready to go.
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

chief1eye
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Ross

Post by chief1eye »

Looking forward to catching up with everyone for the first meet of 2018!

I wont go to the Thundercats as I'll be sorting stuff for the BBQ

Omokoroa Domain, Omokoroa 1- 1:30pm

Big weather Bomb coming but it looks like it will be clear Saturday afternoon.

MIKEP

Post by MIKEP »

1-1.30 Huh

Be good to catch up with you Ross but we must be going a long way if its going to take us 4 hours to get there. Anyway not a lot else to do

Anyway lets see how the weather pans out
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President

motorheadsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Ivan

Post by motorheadsw20 »

We'll most likely join in if the weather pans out good - good time to test the BMIC :) and if too hot can throw couple of pork ribs on it to cool it down
intercooler.jpg

Mr-Paulio
First name: Paul

Post by Mr-Paulio »

Very very keen!!!
But unsure the weather will be conducive to my torque :lol:
Also unsure I can scam another day away from the family.... Or afford the petrol stops.
However I did work hard to get this project finished ready for this weekend. Just in case, you know. :lol:
Transport trailer I restored
Transport trailer I restored
But will see what I can wangle. Will most likely at least meet you all at Drury in the morning. As I need my regular weekend hoon, pie and "V" anyway. :D :D
'89 AW11 V6 Turbo (350BHP & 380Ft/lbs!) :twisted:
'86 AW11 20V (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo "BlackRat" #RatRodStyle (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo (Sold) :(
South Auckland Area Coordinator

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Ha ha good on you Paul! :lol:

Well it's nice to hear there's a few of us keen on this run. But interesting to note how many of us are AW owners, and as such (understandably) not keen on this if it's wet on Saturday morning.

The drive down there is truly epic and personally I'd love to cruise along Papamoa Beach for a squizz cos it's been 30 years since I last took a look at it.

I'd really love to get Isaac's AW fully on the road again too so he can drive it down...
http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php? ... 08#p137208

So Ross, if we end up postponing this, how about we make a mission of it in 2 or 4 weeks' time once the holiday madness has receded a bit? Would that suit? Might even give you time to sort the Green Hornet?

MIKEP

Post by MIKEP »

That's why I busted out "Big Red" my newly painted SW20.I still have nightmares about that time I had to pull over off the motorway because my AW was filling up.

Is it getting to the stage where AW,s can only be used weather dependant. i can see rhe UK MR2 club have to cope with this too

https://goo.gl/images/N5DQ49

If we have to postpone I guess we have to.Ill wait till tomorrow and Charlie makes a decision. I don't think holiday madness will be a problem.Most people have come home already
I think.

Dependant on new date I'd be in as well but the classic and concourse is on Feb 11th so some of us may be involved with that.

Hey Paul if we cancel and your still keen on going to Drury on Saturday let me know and I'll cruise down and buy you a coffee .It would be a fun wee breakfast cruise at least....
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President

Mr-Paulio
First name: Paul

Post by Mr-Paulio »

MIKEP wrote:Hey Paul if we cancel and your still keen on going to Drury on Saturday let me know and I'll cruise down and buy you a coffee .It would be a fun wee breakfast cruise at least....
Sweet as Mike. I'll be keen. I don't drink coffee though.... But I will happily eat a pie and drink an energy drink while you have yours. The BP is about 15mins from my house. And that's only 5mins further than the closest pie shop to me. So I'm keen to pop in anyway. Pretty sure my alternator issues are sorted after the rewire. But don't have many k's on it since I replaced the rectifier. So I am slowly building up the confidence again!! Haha
'89 AW11 V6 Turbo (350BHP & 380Ft/lbs!) :twisted:
'86 AW11 20V (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo "BlackRat" #RatRodStyle (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo (Sold) :(
South Auckland Area Coordinator

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

MIKEP wrote:I don't think holiday madness will be a problem.
Well I guess there might be less traffic due to half of Auckland being stuck in the Coromandel due to slips or flooding (again) ha ha. But if the weather is ok...

I remember heading back from a run once on the same route as we'll be taking Mike, only to hit a humungous traffic jam on the 2km stretch of SH2 that we'll have to endure heading home. Unlike all the other numpties we didn't need to stay snarled for more than a couple of km but it took an age to be shot of it...

If it weren't for that kind of madness I'd consider moving this trip to Sunday as the weather is likely to be a lot better then. But being stuck in traffic on the way home puts me right off that idea eh.

Rain dates I'm thinking are either 21 Jan or 4 Feb (the latter coinciding with Leadfoot but I'm not going this year and I don't know anyone who is).

Let's hope it's fine on Friday night eh? I've done too many of these longer runs with only one or two other cars due to others pulling out because of iffy weather. I don't want to waste this trip like that this time. I usually end up having to commit to the trip only to find just one or two others turn up and that's just a shame when it could be enjoyed by four or five times as many folk the next weekend. It's too much of a fun drive and I'd really like to see those AW owners get to enjoy it too. :wink:

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Mr-Paulio wrote:Pretty sure my alternator issues are sorted after the rewire. But don't have many k's on it since I replaced the rectifier. So I am slowly building up the confidence again!! Haha
Maybe you could set it to idle at 3000 rpm and leave it there for an hour in the driveway Paul? Might want to try it on a cooler kind of day though...