Auckland Run - Sunday 11 March - Mr-Paulio's Cross Country Crusade

Events include those run by the Club and those run by others which are of interest to Club Members (e.g. track days). Events may be posted or run by any financial club member but an Area Coordinator or Committee may step in. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership

Moderators: Moderators, Area Coordinators

Forum rules
Events may be posted and run by any financial club member but are subject to moderation by an Area Coordinator or Committee. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership
mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

mickeyduck wrote:I don't mean to derail your idea of leading a run by suggesting this Paul but the 5th anniversary Caffeine and Classics is on at Smales Farm on the shore this Sunday.

Might not be "the next Auckland run" but certainly could be a go if you're here in Auckland and looking for a fun thing to do?

Maybe whoever goes to it can all go for a wee blat out the back roads afterwards? :idea:

The weather is supposed to be fine this weekend so my plan is to get Isaac's engine mounts sorted and get his AW on the road. Wasted all last weekend on stuff for work so intend to make a push for the lad this time around.

:arrow: I'm hoping the rest of you guys get together and go have some fun. Go to the C&C then go for a blat or a cruise, then have lunch together. Any club member wants to borrow the Club banner for the C&C just say so and you can come get it from my place in Massey or my work in Albany. :idea:
I'll be going to C&C

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Mike

Re: When's the next Auckland Run?

Post by MIKEP »

I'm flying to Belgium and Copenhagen and will be away for the next 2 weeks so I won't be there unfortunately
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

Say hello to the little mermaid for me Mike. Been a long time. Think I was about 5 when I sat on her knee. :lol:
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

pommy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Chris

Post by pommy »

I'm keen to catch up with you guys @ cc & go for a drive!

I'll be in the M3 8)

Mr-Paulio
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Paul

Re: When's the next Auckland Run? (Now I'm organising one)

Post by Mr-Paulio »

Alright guys!
After a fantastic big drive tonight and home through the windy country roads. I've decided I have to organise a run through my neck of the woods. Nice fast windy country roads with little traffic. I'll make it kind of short, as I imagine many of you will have to travel a bit just to meet. Which will be at BP Drury on SH1 say 10am. I'll work on the finer details of an exact course. And somewhere we can stop for lunch. Over the next few days.
I'm thinking Sunday 4th?
Or Sunday 11th?
I am pretty flexible if you guys want to vote in the comments? And we can go for the option that the most people like.
We could even stop at my house for a beer in my workshop after :wink:
'89 AW11 V6 Turbo (350BHP & 380Ft/lbs!) :twisted:
'86 AW11 20V (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo "BlackRat" #RatRodStyle (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo (Sold) :(
South Auckland Area Coordinator

MIKEP
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

I'm in for the 11th .ill be back from Copenhagen by then. and I'm always in for a shed tour especially when its involves drinking a beer
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

Mr-Paulio

Post by Mr-Paulio »

Okay,
so this is what I have in mind! ((KIND OF *Curses Google maps))
:D
Mr-Paulio's Cross Cuntry Crusade.png
Mr-Paulio's Cross Cuntry Crusade.png (225.76 KiB) Viewed 2483 times
https://www.google.co.nz/maps/dir/-37.0 ... m2!4m1!3e0
Basicly we will start from the BP Drury SH1. Enter the M/way and get off at Drury. Head out the back roads and along Ponga Rd past my Dad's house into Hunua. A quick loop around Jones Rd and Ardmore Quary road back onto Hunua Road. (The map is not quite right, I found it extremely frustrating and time consuming using Google maps to plot a course and decided this is close enough!!) Then through the Hunua Gorge into Papakura, Drury and back on the back roads to Ramarama. Then along Ararimu Rd, Gelling Rd past my house. And loop around Papariumu Rd back onto Ararimu Rd. (My little test circuit, again Google maps lets me down here! :x )
Then back onto Hunua road into the township and I will show you the roads I take to work. White Rd, Skyhigh, and Monument Rd's into Clevedon. Where we can stop at the Clevedon pub for lunch. From here along Twighlight Rd into Brookby. And over the hill along West Rd. (Again google lets me down) We will then head west on Papakura-Clevedon Rd onto Creightons Rd, back onto Jones Rd And Hunua Rd, Gelling Rd (At which point we could stop off at my house for a workshop tour and drink?) Then I can lead you all back to the motorway to head home. Google maps says 2hrs (Excluding our stops, and getting to the meeting point and home) But we will be quicker I am sure! So a quick fun one I think! :D :D

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

Mr-Paulio wrote:Okay,
so this is what I have in mind! ((KIND OF *Curses Google maps))
:D
Mr-Paulio's Cross awesome person Crusade.png
https://www.google.co.nz/maps/dir/-37.0 ... m2!4m1!3e0
Basicly we will start from the BP Drury SH1. Enter the M/way and get off at Drury. Head out the back roads and along Ponga Rd past my Dad's house into Hunua. A quick loop around Jones Rd and Ardmore Quary road back onto Hunua Road. (The map is not quite right, I found it extremely frustrating and time consuming using Google maps to plot a course and decided this is close enough!!) Then through the Hunua Gorge into Papakura, Drury and back on the back roads to Ramarama. Then along Ararimu Rd, Gelling Rd past my house. And loop around Papariumu Rd back onto Ararimu Rd. (My little test circuit, again Google maps lets me down here! :x )
Then back onto Hunua road into the township and I will show you the roads I take to work. White Rd, Skyhigh, and Monument Rd's into Clevedon. Where we can stop at the Clevedon pub for lunch. From here along Twighlight Rd into Brookby. And over the hill along West Rd. (Again google lets me down) We will then head west on Papakura-Clevedon Rd onto Creightons Rd, back onto Jones Rd And Hunua Rd, Gelling Rd (At which point we could stop off at my house for a workshop tour and drink?) Then I can lead you all back to the motorway to head home. Google maps says 2hrs (Excluding our stops, and getting to the meeting point and home) But we will be quicker I am sure! So a quick fun one I think! :D :D
You've picked some good roads :D

At least this time if I break down it's close to home :P

Mr-Paulio

Post by Mr-Paulio »

mknz wrote: You've picked some good roads :D

At least this time if I break down it's close to home :P
Me too! Haha. I also have a transport trailer if that make you feel safer :wink:

Yeah roads are pretty sweet for an MR2. These ones I particularly enjoy on a regular basis. I just had to come up with a way to string them all together.

Mr-Paulio

Post by Mr-Paulio »

I can't seem to change the subject title if anyone can help out??

Mr-Paulio

Post by Mr-Paulio »

MIKEP wrote:I'm in for the 11th .ill be back from Copenhagen by then. and I'm always in for a shed tour especially when its involves drinking a beer
Awesome! :lol:

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

mknz wrote:You've picked some good roads :D
+1 Nice work! :mrgreen:

AWesome icecream at the wee shop in Clevedon too BTW, if it's a hot day...

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Simon

Post by 85AW20v »

mickeyduck wrote: AWesome icecream at the wee shop in Clevedon too BTW, if it's a hot day...
The icecream will probably still be AWesome even if it's not a hot day! :D
See ya
Simon
AW11 Racecar - 860kg

Mr-Paulio

Re: Auckland Run - Sunday 11 March - Mr-Paulio's Cross Country Crusade

Post by Mr-Paulio »

Okay guys,
for those that want to have this in their GPS I have taken a few deep breaths and tried again. I just had to split it up into two legs.
The first loops a bit of fun and to the pub for lunch...
First Loop... to the pub! .jpg
First Loop... to the pub! .jpg (176.08 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
https://www.google.co.nz/maps/dir/Autob ... authuser=1

And the leg back to the Motorway via my place.
The home loop .jpg
The home loop .jpg (141.95 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
https://www.google.co.nz/maps/dir/-36.9 ... authuser=1

:D :D

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Re: Auckland Run - Sunday 11 March - Mr-Paulio's Cross Country Crusade

Post by mickeyduck »

This is looking really good Paul. Sure to be a brilliant day behind the wheel of an MR2. :mrgreen:

I'd like to ask anyone coming to please ensure they have read the Run Rules of Conduct: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7967

This is essential for everyone's safety. And for the peace of mind of the club member leading the run.

Also, I'd suggest we all keep an eye on the weather and on this thread in case Paul decides he needs to postpone. It's been a wet kind of summer and we've had our fair share of cyclones come through, so just sayin'... If it does get damp it'll be up to Paul to decide whether he postpones due to bad weather. He can make that call the day before the run and the rest of us can simply take a quick look at this thread to ensure it's still all go (or not).

I've always used the metservice 3-day rain thing to help me make the call regards weather and it's been pretty jolly good.
http://www.metservice.com/maps-radar/ra ... cast-3-day
If it's going to rain you usually get mares' tails in the clouds the day before, plus the ants get super busy too.

Metvuw is usually a good bet for longer range forecasts (a week or more).
http://www.metvuw.com/forecast/forecast ... noofdays=7

As for Google Maps. Ha ha yep you can see why I say I've spent a LOT of time over the years eh mate? :lol:

But it is an AWesome tool to help find great back roads for runs before setting off in the 2 to try them out for real. :mrgreen:

Catchas next Sunday! 8)