AKL run to the AGM Sat 24 March 2018

Events include those run by the Club and those run by others which are of interest to Club Members (e.g. track days). Events may be posted or run by any financial club member but an Area Coordinator or Committee may step in. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership

Moderators: Moderators, Area Coordinators

Forum rules
Events may be posted and run by any financial club member but are subject to moderation by an Area Coordinator or Committee. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership
mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

AKL run to the AGM Sat 24 March 2018

Post by mickeyduck »

Right then. My final act as Auckland Area Coordinator will be to invite any Auckland club members to join us for the cruise to the AGM at Te Kuiti.

If that's a bit much of a hike for you, feel free to tag along until we get to the bottom of SH22 near Raglan, then turn around and go home (or turn right and have brunch in Raglan). :idea:

If you're in the Waikato, feel free to meet us some place on the way down.

The AGM starts at 4pm in Te Kuiti but we need to be there a while before that to set up. It's estimated to be about 2 1/2 hours drive to get where we're going via the main highways but I'm going to allow at least an hour more than that as we'll be taking twisty fun back roads and as these cars aren't entirely new any more, who knows what may happen? So I'm planning to leave the BP on SH1 at Drury early enough to make Te Kuiti by about 2pm. That also gives us at least an hour extra in case something goes awry.

Meet at BP on SH1 Drury at 10am Saturday 24th March, leaving by 10:30am.
Be sure to fill your gas tank!

We will take SH22 from Pukekohe down to the intersection with SH23 near Raglan. This stretch is epic in its own right. 8)
We'll pause to ensure we're all together, then turn left onto SH23, then right into Ferguson Rd.
Right into Te Pahu Rd (Mooloolanders this might be a good place to meet us).
Right onto SH39 (caution - wait for a decent gap in the traffic and watch out for things coming around the sweeper from your left).
We will pause at the side of the road as soon as it's safe to pull over, to ensure everyone is together again so don't rush that turn. Safety first!
We'll cruise down SH39 to Otorohanga where we turn right onto SH 3.
Again, we will pause to ensure we're all together after that turn.
Then we just cruise south until we get to Te Kuiti.
We can fill up at the BP in Te Kuiti before we leave town and hit the Panorama Motel just south of town.

That way we'll be gassed up and ready to go for the run around the Waitomo-O on Sunday morning. :mrgreen:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qXnsS ... sp=sharing
Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 12.21.39 pm.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 12.21.39 pm.png (462.27 KiB) Viewed 3020 times
Sunday morning we do the Waitomo-O and stop for lunch in Kawhia. Fish n chips on the wharf most likely.
I'd love to take a quick look at Te Waitere, and possibly Aotea too if there's time.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1D30F1 ... sp=sharing
Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 1.22.10 pm.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 1.22.10 pm.png (454.46 KiB) Viewed 3020 times
After the run on Sunday we head back up SH39 until we turn left onto Horotiu Rd and dd up to the BP at Ngaruawahia.
After gassing up we head north but turn right at the Taupiri roundabout, and onto Orini Rd.
We turn left onto Rutherford Rd and head home via the immensely enjoyable Lake Waikare Rd, right into Waerenga Rd, left into Falls Rd, left into Kopuku Rd, left onto SH2, exit at the golf club and go through the little tunnel (vroom vroom!)
Right into Lyons Rd, left into Paparimu Rd, find yourself on Hunua Rd. Then right into Dominion Rd, left into Papakura-Clevedon Rd, Right into Cosgrave Rd.
This becomes Mill Rd and you follow your nose to the SH1 and SH20 interchange at Redoubt Rd, Manukau. I'll hit SH20 to head west.
BTW this little detour not only adds a bit of fun driving, it also avoids the inevitable Sunday afternoon SH1 traffic jam between Drury and Takanini / Manurewa / Manukau.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yV-JB ... sp=sharing
Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 1.41.05 pm.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 1.41.05 pm.png (450.31 KiB) Viewed 3020 times
That last bit - I usually take White Rd, Sky High Rd, Monument Rd to Clevedon then West Rd etc to get to Redoubt, but there's some reall horrible gravel road works at the mo, best avoided. Hence I'll just give those (AWesome) little back roads a miss this time.

Believe me if you tag along, you'll need one hell of a power nap when you get home! More twisties than you can shake a stick at. :twisted:

Who's in then? Even if it's just for the first stint down SH22...

I'm doing the lot and I can't wait! It's going to be one AWesome weekend behind the wheel of an MR2. :mrgreen:
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Ivor

Re: AKL run to the AGM Sat 24 March 2018

Post by psyguy »

I can't believe it I'm going to have to miss this one :(
But at least the reason is a decent one, I'm away on holidays 8)

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

psyguy wrote:I can't believe it I'm going to have to miss this one :(
But at least the reason is a decent one, I'm away on holidays 8)
I'm away on holiday too Ivor. On this run! :P

Have a good one mate!

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Jabeo

Post by Jabeo »

I will try to be there! if i do it will be my first run with my first MR2 :)
1992 MR2 GT Turbo :twisted: Complete with Traction control!
1997 N/A Honda Civic EK3 :twisted:

:!: Follow me on Instagram :!: https://www.instagram.com/jabeo_waho/
Im still learning a lot about cars so bear with me!

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Jabeo wrote:I will try to be there! if i do it will be my first run with my first MR2 :)
Flick a PM to CJ (Waikato AC and a good mate) and hook up with him... :idea:

nightz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Ken

Post by nightz »

Planning on driving up from Wellington to go on the last Charlie lead run. :D

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

nightz wrote:Planning on driving up from Wellington to go on the last Charlie lead run. :D
SWeet. :mrgreen: Where are you planning on meeting us Ken? Te Kuiti on the Saturday arvo?

nightz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Ken

Post by nightz »

BP on SH1 Dury, Sat morning for the drive down.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Woah! Nice! I'll look forward to seeing you there Ken. Have a safe and enjoyable trip up (and back!) 8)

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Oil changes done. Coolant happy. Wheel alignments done. Plenty of tread and good grippy rubber. Tyre pressures good. Brakes good. Wiper blades good. Just got to write a few more AGM docs and pack a few things... Very much hoping the weather behaves, but I'm sooooooo looking forward to this run whatever it does. 8)

Happy face! (actually it's our cheese grater). :lol:
IMG_3068.JPG

CJ
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: CJ

Post by CJ »

mickeyduck wrote:
Jabeo wrote:I will try to be there! if i do it will be my first run with my first MR2 :)
Flick a PM to CJ (Waikato AC and a good mate) and hook up with him... :idea:
I'll be meeting you all at Ferguson Road, Whatawhata. With the Balloons on this weekend, im gonna take the kids to that first thing before heading out.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

CJ wrote:I'll be meeting you all at Ferguson Road, Whatawhata. With the Balloons on this weekend, im gonna take the kids to that first thing before heading out.
Nice. It'll be good to see you CJ. Get a few pics of the balloons for us too eh? SWeet. :mrgreen:

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

I won't be able to come either, sorry other Mike. I have far too much uni work to do because the lecturer kept changing their mind about what they want for an assignment.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

That sucks Michael. :(

Mind you, I'm half expecting my T-top to become a bit of a mobile spa pool on the weekend...

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

CJ wrote:I'll be meeting you all at Ferguson Road, Whatawhata.
Hey CJ, meet us at the Backyard Bar and Eatery in Whatawhata. More comfy and will give us all a chance for a pit-stop and a nibble. :idea: