2kcup at pukekohe 25th feb Video

Events include those run by the Club and those run by others which are of interest to Club Members (e.g. track days). Events may be posted or run by any financial club member but an Area Coordinator or Committee may step in. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership

Moderators: Moderators, Area Coordinators

Forum rules
Events may be posted and run by any financial club member but are subject to moderation by an Area Coordinator or Committee. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership
spyderballer
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Hayden

2kcup at pukekohe 25th feb Video

Post by spyderballer »

Thought i'd post it here in case anyone was interested. This is from the last 2kcup round at pukekohe.

The race featured 3 mr2s and alot of other cool 90's cars.

All of the mr2's were N/A gen 3 powered.

#343 has a lsd adjustable sway bars and a performance exhaust
#125 has a lsd and performance exhaust
#77 is completely stock except for lowering springs and brakes.

You can follow their facebook pages at

#343 Team Geddes Racing
https://www.facebook.com/TeamGeddesRacing/

#125 Peter Vodanovich Motorsport
https://www.facebook.com/petervodanovichmotorsport/

#77 Toymota Racing
https://www.facebook.com/ToymotaRacing/

The #343 MR2 won the first race and later on in the 2nd race #125 MR2 won.

First Race starts at 2:01:46
https://youtu.be/QoTlxedvsME?t=7305

Second Race starts at 6:30:30
https://youtu.be/QoTlxedvsME?t=23429

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Re: 2kcup at pukekohe 25th feb Video

Post by mickeyduck »

Nice work Shane!

You guys need an MR2.ORG.NZ sticker on there some place (big enough for the TV to spot).
Maybe the new President would consider a little sponsorship?
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

spyderballer
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by spyderballer »

Definitely a good idea! I think there's plans in the works to have a live streamed/televised round each season.

Theres soon to be 1 of each generation of mr2 in the 2kcup as well. Theres a aw11 running around that had engine issues this round so couldn't compete and there's a Mrs just getting the finishing touches applied, that could be at the taupo round in a couple weeks.

AlanT
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Alan

Post by AlanT »

The MR-S is mine, it will be at Hampton downs in September I'm just trying to find stiffer spring for the front after bottoming out at the test day.

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Ivor

Post by psyguy »

What are the rules/specs for the 2k cup?

I need more track time, lol :P

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

My understanding was it was open to OEM mostly unmodified cars that you paid $2k for. I'm not seeing any of those cars being able to be bought for $2k. This may have changed.

The rules outline what mods you can do. If it's not listed, it's not allowed.

http://2kcup.com/?page_id=623
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Ivor

Post by psyguy »

GDII wrote:
The rules outline what mods you can do. If it's not listed, it's not allowed.

http://2kcup.com/?page_id=623
Thanks for that

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

The 2k rule is still there ie you are supposed to have paid 2k for the car.It always makes me laugh when I see 2 k cup cars advertised on Trademe for like 4K.So if You buy it off the person on Trademe for 4 k how can you race it as a 2k cup car?

Also if the officials suspect your car is too fast they can buy it off you at the and of any meeting and only have to pay you 2500 for it

Therefore I wonder how the hell you got An MRS in there as the approved MR2s are listed as the 3sge powered ones .i can't see any 1zz approved.Also someone will get a cheap MRS if the officials buy yours for 2500.
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

spyderballer
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by spyderballer »

MIKEP wrote:The 2k rule is still there ie you are supposed to have paid 2k for the car.It always makes me laugh when I see 2 k cup cars advertised on Trademe for like 4K.So if You buy it off the person on Trademe for 4 k how can you race it as a 2k cup car?

Also if the officials suspect your car is too fast they can buy it off you at the and of any meeting and only have to pay you 2500 for it

Therefore I wonder how the hell you got An MRS in there as the approved MR2s are listed as the 3sge powered ones .i can't see any 1zz approved.Also someone will get a cheap MRS if the officials buy yours for 2500.

Because people realize that a car your brought for 2k then added seats/harnesses and other safety gear tends to increase in value?

Think about it in mr2 terms - you buy a rough mr2 for $800 - you fit new tyres new springs new shocks new rotors/pads and repaint it - are you going to then resell it for $800?

the officials dont actually buy cars, that rules there to stop people being stupid. - the fast cars always get checked over to make sure there legit though. very rarely has anything dodgy been found.

you'd be surprised what cheap car deals are around if you look further than trademe, - most of the 2kcup cars start there racing life with shite paint and just general untidiness - people are welcome to repaint/tidy the cars up. obviously this adds value if they go to sell it. - the $2k rule means you should be able to buy another model for 2k - not the same exact car with flash paint/all safety gear/new tyre/brakes/shocks for $2k..

The 2 mr2's with lsd's were running in a 2kcup modified class, so the rules were slightly different for them.

A visual example - 343 mr2 looked like in the first 2 seasons of racing
old mr3.jpg
old mr3.jpg (86.93 KiB) Viewed 2860 times

And a pic from last season (with a civic sized dent in the drivers door :P)
new mr2.jpg
new mr2.jpg (78.54 KiB) Viewed 2860 times
Fair to assume its probably worth more with new paint/roll cage?

#rant over :P

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

hey Hayden

Thanks for clarifying that . I ,We (MY Son and I) got interested in the class when it first started and were going to give up dirt track racing to do it.I understand and its fair enough re the added value its just that there appears to be such a disparity between perceived worth and real worth. I am aware you can buy the cars cheap .Hell ive owned over 100 cars and I paid no more than a grand for each of the MR2s I have now AW11,SW20,zz30.

It was simply pointing out what was written then. I mean I have supported motorsport for many years .

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-c ... 759909243b

I guess its listings like the one above that give the class the bad name. Rhymes with Hank starts with W

I also sold a car recently for 2300 that ended up as a 2k cup car but in the interests of not embarrassing anyone I wont say which car.

Anyway Good luck and I enjoy seeing you guys race. The more people in Motorsport the better
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

thelinuxwarrior
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Shane

Post by thelinuxwarrior »

Hi Mike,

Yea this comes up a bit.
Anyone can list a car for what they want.

A quick car in 2kcup isn't going to be a cheap car.
However you can certainly race in 2kcup with a car under $2000.

A fast car is going to cost more,
due to rollcage, seats, harnesses.
Then you can include things that have been done inside the rules,
shocks (new oem), springs, race pads, tyres, brake lines.
Prep work in regards to weight stripping.

I estimate if we were going to "recreate" our car it could be done for less than $5000.
(Buying a car, roll cage, seat, LSD etc).
That's of course assuming our time doesn't count for anything.
Not bad for a car during 1:20.4 at hamptons and a 1:48 at Taupo :-p

Nearly all the people we talk with/race with paid very little for there cars and raced them in that condition for the first season.
Then in preparation for the second season, thats where you see the work put into cars. (Cages going in etc).

The reason (and not saying that this relates to what you said, just explaining why you get these reactions), people normally get a blunt/defensive answer about the price of 2kcup,
is for the first couple seasons people called it "banger racing" cause the cars (and I somewhat agree) looked pretty tired.
Now alot of people have spent a decent amount of time making there cars look good (not money), painting them, decals etc
and now the comment is "thats not a $2000 car".

Definitely agree with you on the more people in Motorsport the better.
Never have I been part of such a great bunch of people who all want to support/look after each other.

Cheers
Shane

thelinuxwarrior
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Shane

Post by thelinuxwarrior »

And yes,

Green vinyl was a bad idea :-p