Sth Auck run. Port Waikato - Counties twisties 12th August

Events include those run by the Club and those run by others which are of interest to Club Members (e.g. track days). Events may be posted or run by any financial club member but an Area Coordinator or Committee may step in. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership

Moderators: Moderators, Area Coordinators

Forum rules
Events may be posted and run by any financial club member but are subject to moderation by an Area Coordinator or Committee. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership
pommy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Chris

Re: Sth Auck run. Port Waikato - Counties twisties 12th August

Post by pommy »

Cheers for a great day, its been a while since I have had a blast in an SW20!

I will try & upload some pics later from my phone.

look forward to the next run....

Mr-Paulio
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Paul

Post by Mr-Paulio »

Such a mint day!!! Made me jelous of the T top owners. And we had quite a few quiet patches so we could really open up the cars. :twisted:
I'm glad I managed to make it all the way.... After arriving at BP and discovering that one of the stays that hold my oil cooler back on an angle and up above the exhaust had broken. (In hindsight I probably should have done something about that!) Because later on a nasty pothole in Mercer finished that off!
20180812_102252.jpg
But thanks to the MR2 team for their patience, tools and oil we were soon back on the road!
I only collected a few pictures...
20180812_120609.jpg
20180812_120644.jpg
20180812_120723.jpg
20180812_115919.jpg
20180812_120012.jpg
20180812_120319.jpg
Now the cars in pieces again for the next few weeks, seats getting upolstered, more powdercoating in the engine bay. And figure out a better plan for the oil cooler... Or no oil cooler... :?: Plus I think I should do some compression tests and see if it was actually burning oil... :shock:
'89 AW11 V6 Turbo (350BHP & 380Ft/lbs!) :twisted:
'86 AW11 20V (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo "BlackRat" #RatRodStyle (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo (Sold) :(
South Auckland Area Coordinator

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

I have to say that Paul did an excellent job of leading the run with sage advice offered to all attendees before the trip and good sensible (but brisk and enjoyable) driving en route. Good work mate. A fine choice of AC if I do say so myself. :mrgreen:

We only had one minor whoops when heavy fog and some traffic managed to separate us from a few of the crew a bit further back. But we all got together again in fairly short order and all was well.

Well, almost all was well. As Paul said his AW went over a harsh bump as I was following and its oil cooler hit the deck causing an emergency stop. So we paused for a bit while Paul did some running repairs, bypassing the oil cooler.

Here's a wee vid showing the moment of impact through to a few of us having a good laugh at the oil splattered all over my AW. :lol:

Yep, a bunch of tools is a good thing on a run cos you just never know... :idea:
DSCF7514.JPG
And hats off to the crew for their good humour and patience while we got it sorted. I for one was very glad that Paul could continue to lead the run and didn't end up waiting for a flat-bed...! :D

OK a few more pics for yas...

First-up we aren't snobs which I think is great. We spent a fair amount of time checking out this hard case little gem. Like an E-type that got shrunk in the wash - and with an engine about a litre smaller than an AW...! :shock: Didn't stop it being cool though that's for sure. 8)
DSCF7526.JPG
DSCF7533.JPG
DSCF7534.JPG
DSCF7528.JPG
DSCF7530.JPG
How it managed to sport this particular accessory had us all a little puzzled...
Yep that moth is inside the headlight.
DSCF7532.JPG
Anyway it was an interesting addition to the run, that little gem. Added to the day's fun. 8)

Mug-shot time:
Madaz
Madaz
mint as
mint as
DSCF7541.JPG
DSCF7542.JPG
86 standing in for an SW that had to pull out with brake issues - good on yas for rejoining the run!
86 standing in for an SW that had to pull out with brake issues - good on yas for rejoining the run!
Good to see you back in a 2 mate!
Good to see you back in a 2 mate!
DSCF7545.JPG
Good to see you back in a 2 too mate!
Good to see you back in a 2 too mate!
DSCF7548.JPG
Hey, it's oil good  #8^)
Hey, it's oil good #8^)
Great day out. Good work Paul. Nice. :D

And I want to say "thanks" to Fourwalls too, a good man who dreamt up this run about 5 years ago.

Just one final thought: I still say the club oughtta buy one of those portable BBQ's for each area that has more than 10 members. They are an utterly brilliant way to grow the club spirit. I bought my own way back and it did the job extremely well all those years. Have a good think about it guys. The Masport is the way to go eh.

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/morrison-por ... _p00188381
BBQ.JPG
BBQ.JPG (316.59 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
Looking forward to the next one!
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Mr-Paulio
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Paul

Post by Mr-Paulio »

Haha :lol:
After feeling and hearing that smack I was watching my oil pressure gauge. And when I let off the gas and put in the clutch the light would come on. Then I saw you flashing your lights I knew exactly what had happened aye... DAMIT!!! :lol: :lol:
'89 AW11 V6 Turbo (350BHP & 380Ft/lbs!) :twisted:
'86 AW11 20V (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo "BlackRat" #RatRodStyle (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo (Sold) :(
South Auckland Area Coordinator