Toyota Festival 2019 - Hampton Downs - March 30th

Events include those run by the Club and those run by others which are of interest to Club Members (e.g. track days). Events may be posted or run by any financial club member but an Area Coordinator or Committee may step in. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership

Moderators: Moderators, Area Coordinators

Forum rules
Events may be posted and run by any financial club member but are subject to moderation by an Area Coordinator or Committee. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership
Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Re: Toyota Festival 2019 - Hampton Downs - March 30th

Post by Benckj »

If it’s run anything like the Toyota day this last year at Highlands I’d give the track session a miss. They bumped up the price to $200 and track runs were done behind the safety car. All thanks to new regulations and our friend Tony Quinn.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

Benckj wrote:If it’s run anything like the Toyota day this last year at Highlands I’d give the track session a miss. They bumped up the price to $200 and track runs were done behind the safety car. All thanks to new regulations and our friend Tony Quinn.
Wow. Good way to kill the Toyota Festival. :shock:

Might have to start something (again) to replace it yet... :idea:
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Don’t get me wrong, it was still a great day to get together view some cars and participate in the photo shoot which allowed a free drive around track. Just look into what’s on offer for full track runs as unlike other years turned into a real expensive disappointment.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Rodney

Post by Speedhog »

mickeyduck wrote:Sorry Rodney, no idea. All I know is that the old track that was built for us Joe Bloggs Kiwis and any of us used to be able to do at Hamptons (now only accessible to the few at a cost and infrequently at that) is a hoot to drive. As long as the sweeper doesn't kill your engine, which won't be a problem in an AW cos they are truly a stroke of pure genius...

I'm guessing further info about costs etc will be supplied by Jabeo as this is his thread (again my apologies for not spotting it when it was in the now redundant "Non MR2 Events" section). :oops:
Here's me in an AW at the first ever track day (run by Playday) at Hamptons. It was brilliant, as evidenced by my grin: :mrgreen:

The track (the old track ) that I expect they will do on the day.
The (oil starvation) sweeper is bottom right.

I always wanted to do the complete circuit but hey now that it's been finished I don't imagine I'll ever have the mean$... Ah well. :roll:

Check the info as it becomes available cos if they decide it's just the drifty donut thing that they now offer to most folks, I'd give it a miss unless you drive an 86. :lol:

Mind you Rodney, you'd still get a laugh out of it in an AW I'm sure (who needs a skid pan anyway?) Or even in a Madaz. :lol:

But the old circuit is a total hoot, well worth doing. 8) 8) 8)
Thanks Charlie, I have done a few laps at Hamptons National before back when Roberts and Watson owned it. I use to marshall for Playday-on-track a little bit.

Don't forget the AW is now running a ST 20v, may still give a little grieve on the Turn 10 Bearing Killer.
Having done some laps a few years ago at Pukekohe was a eye opener on tarmac driving, foot flat through turn 1 with 5 degrees of counter steer on is interesting to say the least.
But I do need to get my tarmac skills up to scratch after the two tarmac hillclimbs last year, putting quite behind the pace.
But I do remember now that HD/Highlands will require me to have a hans device in the AW (rollcage).

Hmm.. Might have to find out when the next Playday is at Pukekohe.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Yeah in light of Jim's experience at Highlands last year, I'm guessing I'll be going to the Hamptons event for the get together and a gander at the cars, but I don't think I'll be bothering with the track day. Not if it involves following a safety car, that's for sure.

Might have to do a Playday at Puke with you some time Rodney. :idea:

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Ivor

Post by psyguy »

I haven't taken my baby to Pukekohe yet but am really keen. Maybe we could organise a club run if there's others interested?

Hamptons sessions are better done during track days not as part of any festivals as there's typically just too many cars and safety restrictions in place.
The only plus side is they sometimes open the International Circuit which is normally not available to public.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

psyguy wrote:Hamptons sessions are better done during track days not as part of any festivals as there's typically just too many cars and safety restrictions in place.
Yeah it's a pity eh Ivor. Didn't used to be that way, as you can see in my wee video of doing a lap on Hamptons during the 2014 Toyota Festival (posted earlier in the thread).

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Just finished catching up with Paul Pettit, former President of the 86 Club. He told me how he started the Toyota Festival so we had a fun wee chat online. Basically because of his position as President of the 86 Club he was able to convince Toyota to get behind the event (which I had already pulled a heap of Toyotas into for our AGM) so yeah his angle is all good with me. He was in a unique position to be able to convince Toyota to get behind a Toyota track day, and of course they saw the commercial opportunity and went for it. As I said to him it's very cool to know that our efforts back then basically got the thing started. Like I said earlier, great how a good idea managed to turn into a much bigger and better one thanks to the right people being involved at the right time (coinciding with the launch of the 86).

8)

My only beef is that I never got a 2013 Toyotafest sticker. Paul said they were in the packs for all entries but I never saw such a thing. Toyota must have only given them to 86 drivers. :(

Ah well. :P :P :P :lol:

Anyway, Paul also tells me the safety car was at Highlands due to lack of run-off and the concrete walls. So hopefully it won't be necessary at Hamptons? I guess it all comes down to the whim of a certain Mr Quinn... We'll see.

Would be a pity if Mr Quinn's safety cars kill the thing and we have to go start something all over again... :wink:

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

That’s good to have some inside info and hopefully you get a full track run. Knowing the new safety rules and Tony’s preferences I doubt if it will be allowed. See what they announce in the rules when sign up started.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Rodney

Post by Speedhog »

mickeyduck wrote:Yeah in light of Jim's experience at Highlands last year, I'm guessing I'll be going to the Hamptons event for the get together and a gander at the cars, but I don't think I'll be bothering with the track day. Not if it involves following a safety car, that's for sure.

Might have to do a Playday at Puke with you some time Rodney. :idea:
Next Playday at Pukekohe I could attend is 9th March. Might have some mighty rear brakes by then.
https://www.playdayontrack.co.nz/news.php

Soleman
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Carl

Post by Soleman »

Ill Be there With me 2Yoda :D
Green Rage Metallic Sw20
5sgte. YeeHaa

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Jabeo

Post by Jabeo »

see first post in this thread for big update on Toyota fest
1992 MR2 GT Turbo :twisted: Complete with Traction control!
1997 N/A Honda Civic EK3 :twisted:

:!: Follow me on Instagram :!: https://www.instagram.com/jabeo_waho/
Im still learning a lot about cars so bear with me!

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Ivor

Post by psyguy »

I've been reading their Facebook page and it seemed that the track sessions are run behind the Safety Car.
It's written so in the FAQ sheet but the main page says nothing about it.
Has anyone got reliable info on this?

Not keen on paying money to drive in a que :shock:

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

If it's anything like the Highlands Motorsport park owned by the same person then yes, paying money to drive in a queue. It's not slow but not anywhere near the speeds some might want to drive at.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Jabeo

Post by Jabeo »

psyguy wrote:I've been reading their Facebook page and it seemed that the track sessions are run behind the Safety Car.
It's written so in the FAQ sheet but the main page says nothing about it.
Has anyone got reliable info on this?

Not keen on paying money to drive in a que :shock:
GDII wrote:If it's anything like the Highlands Motorsport park owned by the same person then yes, paying money to drive in a queue. It's not slow but not anywhere near the speeds some might want to drive at.
Have asked the event organizers/Toyota and they have confirmed that there will only be a lead car for the international circuit cruise session and NOT for the track sessions: "Only the International Cruise circuit is behind a pace car, the normal circuit sessions are not "
1992 MR2 GT Turbo :twisted: Complete with Traction control!
1997 N/A Honda Civic EK3 :twisted:

:!: Follow me on Instagram :!: https://www.instagram.com/jabeo_waho/
Im still learning a lot about cars so bear with me!