Toyota Festival 2019 - Hampton Downs - March 30th

Events include those run by the Club and those run by others which are of interest to Club Members (e.g. track days). Events may be posted or run by any financial club member but an Area Coordinator or Committee may step in. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership

Moderators: Moderators, Area Coordinators

Forum rules
Events may be posted and run by any financial club member but are subject to moderation by an Area Coordinator or Committee. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership
Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Jabeo

Toyota Festival 2019 - Hampton Downs - March 30th

Post by Jabeo »

Toyota fest 2019 UPDATE - Hampton Downs - March 30th

Hitting the track?
Meet at BP on SH1 Drury at 7am if you wish to join Jabeo's bunch.

54799984_2347031475307239_4618282366639538176_n.jpg
54799984_2347031475307239_4618282366639538176_n.jpg (120.89 KiB) Viewed 3126 times
There has been an update on Toyota fest on facebook, so i will share the information and links here. Please see below links on the event, track day activities and FAQ's.

I have talked to a few of the guys from Auckland and people that have attended before. I am thinking meet up at drury at 7am and be on the road to hamptons by 7:30 at the latest. Drivers briefing is at 8:30am and there are a few people that will hit the track, and we will want a good spot to park up etc and avoid some traffic too. Nick is also wanting to take some good fog rolling shots for us as well. If you are late you are late and you can still just roll down and meet us there, but i am not sure if there will be other drivers briefings

Event page: https://bit.ly/2DUWYrW
Track Day Activities: https://bit.ly/2SdzZ4d
FAQ's: https://bit.ly/2RL2Asu

For those wanting to know about the track activities, i highly suggest you follow the link above, if not i will give a brief run down here, also i believe the sessions are prepay as well, if not i will let you guys know.
Important note: If you are taking part in the above activities you must attend the compulsory driver’s briefing at 8.30am. We suggest you arrive no later than 8.00am which will give you time to park up your vehicle.

Track plus
Cost: $195
Time: 9.00am - 4.30pm
Includes: 6x 15 minute track sessions on the National Circuit (2.7km)

Track Light
Cost: $99
Includes: 3x 15 minute track sessions on the National Circuit (2.7km)

International GT Circuit Cruise
Cost: $50
Time: 12.30pm
Includes: Cruise the full International Circuit in your own car with family and friends. This is a controlled cruise behind our Safety car.

Club Circuit Drift Sessions
Cost: $150
Includes: 4x 20 minute Drift sessions on the Club circuit

Gymkhana
Test your skills behind the wheel in our epic time attack challenge. Open to all types of cars with prizes for the fastest small, medium, large vehicles.
Cost: $80
Includes: 3x Gymkhana sessions

4WD Course
Cost: $50
Includes: Unlimited sessions throughout the day, Receive FREE tuition by Toyota’s 4x4 experts

Another update from the Toyota fest page:

All drivers must wear a neck brace (foam doughnut) or if you have a 4 point harness or more, you must wear a FHR (hans or similar). You need a crash helmet in good condition. A race suit is not required, you just need to wear non-flammable clothing and be fully covered from head to toe (100% cotton recommended). Covered shoes must be worn.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all,

In just a few months Toyota New Zealand will be holding the annual Toyota Festival. Next year in 2019 it will be held in the north island at Hampton downs circuit.
It is a HUGE event that celebrates any Toyota make and model, from supras, MR2s and celicas to the humble corolla and camry. There are many fun events held at the festival such as cruise sessions, drag racing, drifting?, gymkhana as well as an opportunity to hit the skid pan too.

For cars that do not wish to indulge in speed events, the crowd favourite Show & Shine competition returns for all kinds of Toyotas based on vehicle age.

There are not too many details released just yet but we can keep all useful information regarding it here, and we can update it as more information comes in. These will include things such as pricing for entry/track time and what our plans are for the day. There are a bunch of us in auckland planning to go to the event as well as a few from the south island potentially. As it stands we have planned to maybe do a big pre meet up at BP drury and we can proceed to cruise on down to hamptons for the festival. i believe everyone will be let onto the track as well to line up and take a huge photo of all of the cars at the end of the day.

Ideally, as every other toyota club and car club that goes does, we should bring the club flag/banners and have them posted up at a location we decide to designate for our cars :twisted: to represent ourselves, our cool cars and what we are all about 8) It is still early days, but just wanted to get the word out there in case people want to prepare, get the day off or need a reason to get their cars into once piece :lol:

Here is a video that showcases some of the stuff you can see there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vslNr0yQMs4
2018-toyota-festival-dates-confirmed_hero_940x450.jpg
2018-toyota-festival-dates-confirmed_hero_940x450.jpg (166.18 KiB) Viewed 3681 times
FerrariMr2 LHS lineup26-10-2018.JPG
Last edited by Jabeo on Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.
1992 MR2 GT Turbo :twisted: Complete with Traction control!
1997 N/A Honda Civic EK3 :twisted:

:!: Follow me on Instagram :!: https://www.instagram.com/jabeo_waho/
Im still learning a lot about cars so bear with me!

MylerMr2
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Tony

Re: Toyota Festival 2019 - Hampton Downs - March 30th

Post by MylerMr2 »

Yep, Im going, 100%
1990 T-top SW20 Turbo Project/Track/Weekend Cruiser
2006 Lexus IS350 Daily

Follow My Instagram - @that_green_sw20

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

100% going

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

Yup I'll be there .Not sure in what yet but i will find something
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Ivor

Post by psyguy »

Going. (99%) :lol:

THR4SHER007
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Logan

Post by THR4SHER007 »

Is there a fee?
Current:
1991 MR2 G-Limited Manual Hard top
1998 Camry Gracia
Previous:
2004 Toyota Crown Majesta
2018 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401
2008 Toyota Blade Master G
2018 Yamaha YZF R3
1994 Celica ST202 Manual
Follow my Instagram @: https://www.instagram.com/logansunnex/

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Jabeo

Post by Jabeo »

THR4SHER007 wrote:Is there a fee?
The details regarding costs have not been released yet, but as far as i know in past years general entry (spectator) has been free. But i will keep the thread updated as more information is released
1992 MR2 GT Turbo :twisted: Complete with Traction control!
1997 N/A Honda Civic EK3 :twisted:

:!: Follow me on Instagram :!: https://www.instagram.com/jabeo_waho/
Im still learning a lot about cars so bear with me!

Mr-Paulio
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Paul

Post by Mr-Paulio »

Very keen!! I wonder if I will have a turbo V6 ADub by then....? :?:
'89 AW11 V6 Turbo (350BHP & 380Ft/lbs!) :twisted:
'86 AW11 20V (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo "BlackRat" #RatRodStyle (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo (Sold) :(
South Auckland Area Coordinator

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

There is a fee if you want to do track time (recommended!) and I don't remember if there's a fee for entering show n shine but basically what we usually do is all meet and park up together as a group in the show n shine area, except for those more keen to get on track. You can do both but it gets a little tricky. If you want to experience Hamptons at full noise in your Toymota this is your opportunity. :idea:

On a historical note - back in 2013 we got together with the Altezza Club so we could do a track day at Taupo run by Playday On Track (which itself was founded by MR2 Club members). Because the then President of the Altezza Club, Nick (NST Parts Manager) works for Toyota, the newly founded 86 Club turned up too and we had a brilliant day (coinciding with our AGM there). Toyota grabbed hold of the idea and as of 2014 it became the Toyota Festival.

Also, that photo of the cars on the grid: they do that every year, and one year our guys got organised ahead of time and made sure they muscled in on most of the front rows for the photo. Nice. :D

My SW won "Best Engine Bay" in 2014 too. :mrgreen: Don't think it would now as I would need to refurbish some of the anodised fittings, but it was a good feeling at the time.

Also - if you do track time at Hamptons, be sure to add at least a 1/2 litre too much oil to your engine to help combat oil starvation on the big sweeper. Note also that AW's and Gen3 SW's have decent sump baffles but early SW's and MRS's can go "bang" after one too many laps. MRS's aren't generally allowed on track anyway as they have no roll-over protection.

It's always a brilliant day and it's a great time for Club members to get together from all over the North Island far a great day and a catch-up. 8)

P.S. I've moved this thread into Events so it's more readily spotted. We actually decided a couple of AGM's ago to merge the "Non MR2 Events" and "Motorsports" sections back into Events but when I tried to do so it turned into a bit of a nightmare. Anyway I finally managed to get it done just now...

http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5304
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

NzLHD
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: David

Post by NzLHD »

keen, would it be alright to take the car even tho the paint ain't exactly pretty?
'86 AW10 2ZZ-GTE

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

NzLHD wrote:keen, would it be alright to take the car even tho the paint ain't exactly pretty?
Absofreakinlutely...! Be there! 8)

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

vrtigo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Cameron

Post by vrtigo »

Ill be going, fingers crossed my engine swap will be done by then.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

A bit of history for anyone interested...

2017:

http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14110

2015:

http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12616

[youtube-embed]BUGo6BDwKRI?rel=0[/youtube-embed]

2014:

http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11853

I think this was the first one where attendees got a wee round sticker etc.
I have 2014, 2015, 2017 stickers. Cos 2016 and 2018 were at Highlands.

MattAW11-by-Joel.png
MattAW11-by-Joel.png (1.08 MiB) Viewed 3507 times

October 2013:

The 2nd "Toyota Festival" in Fielding, where CJ and a bunch of others from our Club helped Toyota keep the idea of a Toyota Festival alive:

http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php? ... a+festival

And in March 2013 the combined track day in Taupo that started it all and became the first ever Toyota Festival:

http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10872

It all started when I wanted to corner a Playday On Track at Taupo to coincide with our AGM but as we didn't have the numbers I hit up Nick Chiew of North Shore Toyota who ran the Altezza Club. Another mate of mine Lucas who also worked at North Shore Toyota had taken me for a strop in his tricked up Altezza and it was obvious they would be able to play together on track with an MR2. So a combined track day made sense. Even if we didn't manage to grab the whole thing it would be great to have our own sessions. That was what I first discussed with Gary and Tony of Playday. They had already sold a small number of places to other kinds of car but were cool with the idea and kept a certain number of places open for us, we just had to fill them in time. Nick and the Altezzas got in on the act, as did the fledgling 86 Club, run by Paul Pettit. I expect the 86 Club and Toyota NZ probably heard about the track day through Nick at NST, or perhaps through Gary? Next thing you know Toyota NZ, keen to promote the new 86, had hit up Playday and slapped a "Toyota Festival" label on the event (though it could have been Gary's idea? A smart business move either way). The first ever Toyota Festival came into being, as you can see in this post: 8)

http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php? ... ANT#p96712

MR2's, Altezzas and 86's. Our MR2's were the strongest in number on the day. There were a small number of other types of car there too (as it was in fact a Playday originally open to anyone). This wee video of Alex's sums it up nicely:

So yeah what started out as an effort to sort a track day for our MR2's to coincide with our AGM ended up turning into the first ever Toyota Festival, even before we had the event! Our Club can always be proud of that. We were co-founders of the Festival of Fun. :mrgreen:

The way I see it, it was a good idea that turned into a much bigger and better one, thanks to the good fortune of the right people being involved and the advent of Tada-san's new 86 at the time. Nice. :D

I had originally intended to take my AW (now Isaac's AW) but I bought Scott's SW and ended up taking that instead. I ran it on low boost and drove very carefully as it was a whole different animal and we were on a wet track, so most of my MR2 mates ran rings around me. But it was a lot of fun regardless. Even when Simon flew past on the inside in his AW and scared the hell outta me going into the hairpin! :lol:

My eldest son Isaac rode shotgun with Mel P in BBY4RE and they spun right in front of me which Isaac thought was brilliant fun.

Here's the Toyota NZ Facebook pics after the event:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/Toyota86nz/ ... 1618755909

Of course it's a MUCH BIGGER EVENT these days! :mrgreen:

2019. Be there! It will be an awesome day! :D
Taupo garage.jpg

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Rodney

Post by Speedhog »

Whats the cost Charlie?
Maybe interested in getting my tarmac driving up to scratch.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Sorry Rodney, no idea. All I know is that the old track that was built for us Joe Bloggs Kiwis and any of us used to be able to do at Hamptons (now only accessible to the few at a cost and infrequently at that) is a hoot to drive. As long as the sweeper doesn't kill your engine, which won't be a problem in an AW cos they are truly a stroke of pure genius...

I'm guessing further info about costs etc will be supplied by Jabeo as this is his thread (again my apologies for not spotting it when it was in the now redundant "Non MR2 Events" section). :oops:

Here's me in an AW at the first ever track day (run by Playday) at Hamptons. It was brilliant, as evidenced by my grin: :mrgreen:
Hamptons-WhiteAW-1471.jpg
The track (the old track ) that I expect they will do on the day.
The (oil starvation) sweeper is bottom right.
Hamptons.jpeg
Hamptons.jpeg (336.9 KiB) Viewed 3467 times
I always wanted to do the complete circuit but hey now that it's been finished I don't imagine I'll ever have the mean$... Ah well. :roll:
Tony Quinn - Hamptons.png
Tony Quinn - Hamptons.png (228.92 KiB) Viewed 3467 times
Check the info as it becomes available cos if they decide it's just the drifty donut thing that they now offer to most folks, I'd give it a miss unless you drive an 86. :lol:

Mind you Rodney, you'd still get a laugh out of it in an AW I'm sure (who needs a skid pan anyway?) Or even in a Madaz. :lol:
HD-tyre.jpg
HD-tyre.jpg (17.99 KiB) Viewed 3467 times
But the old circuit is a total hoot, well worth doing. 8) 8) 8)