Whangamomona" Republic Day-Jan19 2019

Events include those run by the Club and those run by others which are of interest to Club Members (e.g. track days). Events may be posted or run by any financial club member but an Area Coordinator or Committee may step in. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership

Moderators: Moderators, Area Coordinators

Forum rules
Events may be posted and run by any financial club member but are subject to moderation by an Area Coordinator or Committee. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership
MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Mike

Whangamomona" Republic Day-Jan19 2019

Post by MIKEP »

Whangamomona is holding there Bi Annual republic day on January 19 2019. Whagamomena declares itself a republic and every 2 years they celebrate it with a day of fun and its a heck of a party. I am planning a cruise/Run to whangamomena to take part in the celebration and vist this iconic landmark.
Wheres Whangamomona I hear you ask? Its on the forgotten world highway that mystical windy 150kms of road that runs from Stratford to Taumaranui. Hailed as one of New Zealands most beautiful routes and a must on everyones bucket list .Whangamomena is on Highway 43, the "Forgotten World Highway", 65 kilometres (40 mi) north-east of Stratford .
The Forgotten World Highway is one of the most scenic drives in New Zealand. This highly memorable driving journey is remote and mysterious to the extreme. This scenic route winds over four mountain saddles, alongside the spectacular Tangarakau Gorge and passes through the 220-metre-long, single lane, Moki tunnel. It has been ranked as one of the 10 most scenic drives in the world.
The road is mostly asphalted. It’s slippery when wet. This is an exquisite winding mountain drive with sharp and blind curves and hairpin switchbacks leading the traveler over the mountains. 4 km northeast of is the Moki Tunnel, also known as Hobbit's Hole. Hand-carved by pickaxes, the tunnel is a 200 metre-long adventure that'll quickly make the kids forget their carsickness. You emerge from the tunnel to the scenic delights of the Tangarakau Gorge, where the tarseal surface becomes gravel road for about 5 kilometres, encouraging you to slow down and enjoy the lush bush views and the spectacular rapids of the headwaters of the Tangarakau River. The road in the gorge is not sealed.

Well heres the Plan.

I am planning to leave Auckland at around 7.30 am on the 19th before to much traffic hits Auckland and via State Highway 1 get on the Forgotten world Highway at Taumaranui and travel the 87kms from Taumaranui to Whangamomena to arrive around 12 am. Lunch at Whangamomena and stay overnight in Whangamomena and drive the rest of the Highway the next day on Sunday and return to Auckland.
So if you want to go let me know .If your down country and want to meet up at Taumaranui or somewhere on the way let me know and we can travel together . If your coming from South via Strafford and want to meet up at Whangamomena that's fine as well. Theres accommodation at Whangamomena though Im more inclined to stay in Ohura or Stratford

It would be great to fly the MR2 club banner at the republic day celebrations and do the road with some like minded enthusiast s.

So if you are interested let me know and ill put the plan together
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

pbaron
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Pierre

Re: Whangamomona" Republic Day-Jan19 2019

Post by pbaron »

Hi Mike, I am keen with a view to meeting up in Taumaruni, cheers.
SW20 project car

MIKEP

Post by MIKEP »

Cool Pierre That's great . Look forward to it
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

MIKEP wrote:Theres accommodation at Whangamomena though Im more inclined to stay in Ohura or Stratford
Don't know if I'll be able to afford it Mike but it sure would be brilliant!

I suggest however that you take a good look into accommodation options in the places you've mentioned, and pick somewhere as the place to be. So everyone can enjoy each other's company that evening before heading home. Find a reasonable motel that'd suit a bit of a gathering mate. :idea:
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

nightz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Ken

Post by nightz »

You are missing out on the best road by going through Taumarunui.
Turn right down Ohura Rd off SH4 and go down through Matiere and Ohura.

MIKEP

Post by MIKEP »

I suggest however that you take a good look into accommodation options in the places you've mentioned, and pick somewhere as the place to be. So everyone can enjoy each other's company that evening before heading home. Find a reasonable motel that'd suit a bit of a gathering mate
I'm on it Charlie.theres not a lot of accomodation on the Forgotten world highway and the "Whanga" pub will be full for republic day but I have a house in Ohura or as I said if we go through to Stratford there's accomodation there I'll finalise that once I know how many are interested.Also there's the prison at Ohura anyway I'm on it. Trying to keep costs down for this one
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President

Mr-Paulio
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Paul

Post by Mr-Paulio »

I'm keen Mike. If I feel I have a reliable Two at the time. And a weekend pass :P :lol:
'89 AW11 V6 Turbo (350BHP & 380Ft/lbs!) :twisted:
'86 AW11 20V (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo "BlackRat" #RatRodStyle (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo (Sold) :(
South Auckland Area Coordinator

MIKEP

Post by MIKEP »

Hey Guys just a reminder about this one.5 cars going so far.Let me know if your keen to do some or all of it.
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

I wish I could participate as that drive is on my bucket list.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

MIKEP

Post by MIKEP »

Yes it's a shame Jim.Was on my bucket list too .So at least I get to cross it off now.
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President

tw2
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

Keen for this one. I'll join as you pass Hamilton somewhere.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

MIKEP

Post by MIKEP »

Cool thanks Thomas I'll keep you posted
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President

NABS

Post by NABS »

good idea, will see if any Naki guys are keen to cruise up and meet in Taumaranui. A meeting time in Taumaranui could be good to arrange (sorry I missed it if its mentioned already). Pbarron, we could meet you and anyone else in Wanganui if time allows and shoot up those Para's again...? depending on your schedule.

Im not sure if I can make that as yet but can start things rolling here. There is a 'dirt' (gravel) section of around 14k, not sure if I want to take my car on it at this stage, again, as I am still cleaning dust off it from a year ago, but the fun factor of doing the road again may drown out that pain. Otherwise we could come in from the Stratford end and meet there if interested?

Anyone wanting to stay in Whanga that night will need to book either the Hotel or the camp ground now, but even this far out it could be tough getting that in town as it goes VERY quickly for this popular event and no mobile coverage.

I have attended this many times and is a great day out! Just make sure you take your Passport!
NABS

MIKEP

Post by MIKEP »

Hi happy new year .Thanks for the info NAthan . Some of the 14 k section has been sealed now I beleive but still some gravel.

I am working on accomodation in Ohura for us all so will be cheap so far deets in the next few days. I beleive we would be in Taumaranui round 10.30 at this stage.How does that suit?. that should put us in Whanga about 12-12.30 if calcs Re correct.Gives us time to party a bitin Whanga then drive the rest of the Highway the next day.

I'll keep you informed
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President

tw2
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

Were you planning on driving the forgotten highway both ways? Going to Whangamomona and then doubling back to Ohura will add an hour each way. Would Stratford not be an option? Ohura is a ghost town the last few times I went through (few years now). Hardly even one shop, literally abandoned buildings dot the main road.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato