Taranaki Run to Whanga Republic Day

Events include those run by the Club and those run by others which are of interest to Club Members (e.g. track days). Events may be posted or run by any financial club member but an Area Coordinator or Committee may step in. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership

Moderators: Moderators, Area Coordinators

Forum rules
Events may be posted and run by any financial club member but are subject to moderation by an Area Coordinator or Committee. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership
NABS
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ

Taranaki Run to Whanga Republic Day

Post by NABS »

Happy New Year!
Jan 19 this year celebrates Whangamomana Republic Day. This comes around every 2 years, I'm sure you all know its up our World Famous Forgotten World Highway inland from Stratford.

This year there is a group coming down from the North, through Taumaranui and down to Whangamomana, staying overnight somewhere along the road.

There may be 1 or 2 coming up from Welly way also and meeting those from the North in Taumaranui at 1030am on the 19th.

I have 2 possible options for those interested in coming along;

A: Meet 6am at Uncle Bill/Gull carpark with a view to be in Wanganui by 8am and meet anyone coming from the Southern end, fuel up if needed and grab a quick bite and a coffee (probably just from a gas station) before heading up the Paraparas, aim to be in Taumaranui around 10. Its only 2 hours from Wanganui so should be plenty of time for brunch before the Northerners arrive at 1030, then down the Forgotten World Highway after fueling the cars before we leave Taumaranui.
NB; Coming from this direction we will not be able to pass through the festivities until it ends possibly between 4 and 5pm as the road is pretty much closed

...or...

B: Meet at Uncle Bills/Gull at 10am and leave around 1015 for Stratford. From there we hang a left and go straight up the Forgotten World Highway to Whanganmomana aiming to meet the others when they get there around 1230ish.

There is an entry fee, feel free to take along your passport to get stamped so take some cash to speed things up a little.

Below is a link to the run for those coming from the North
http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15177

Anyone keen to make it, let me know which option is prefered.
The whole Forgotten Highway is a fantastic piece of road and needs to be done at least once in its entirety. Living in Taranaki we are spoilt for access to this gem...
NABS

NABS

Re: Taranaki Run to Whanga Republic Day

Post by NABS »

For those who are interested, we will be leaving at 6am heading down to Wanganui from Uncle Bills carpark. This will be a great day out
NABS

optional
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Keith

Post by optional »

Hi Nabs,
just had a bit of a natter with Sue. We were going to have a barbecue on the sunday night as an alternative to a January run which we don't normally have as it is not well attended ( that is Wellington Anniversary weekend). Your option sounds better. Cancel the PM I sent in relply to your message.
Am I reading your thread right? You intend to leave N.P. at 6:00 a.m. (!?). That would mean that you are intending to be in Whanganui about 8:00.
Is this right? I guess we could do the same and hook up there. I will try not to drive too fast over the Paraparas so you can keep up. The only issue may be finding someone to look after the dog. I could ask Libby but I am guessing that she will want to come too.
Keith

NABS

Post by NABS »

Hi Keith, sounds good. Yep the plan is to be in Wanganui at 8am. There is a big BP in Springvale with all the BP cafe goodies as one or 2 of us may need a coffee and a snack by that time and top up the cars. Hopefully the petrol will be a little cheaper there. I hope we have enough time in taumaranui to have more of a breakfast though.

If you like we can meet at the big playground car park just up from Willis Street intersection?

Yeah about not keeping up, unfortunately due to the gravel/dust, I won’t be in the 2 this time, I will have to watch the rocks coming out of that tunnel again is all I will say! I shouldn’t have too much trouble keeping up with you this time

Just a quick note, bring some cash if you can, it can be a little quicker than dealing with eftpos
NABS

MIKEP
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

http://motoevents.nz/whangamomona-repub ... -30-years/
Screen-Shot-2018-12-28-at-2_03_26-PM.png
Screen-Shot-2018-12-28-at-2_03_26-PM.png (623.63 KiB) Viewed 2800 times
heres a wee update of the up and coming visit to the republic of Whangamomena
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

NABS

Post by NABS »

Cool thank you Mike, didn’t realise it was 30 years, I have been to probably a good 20 or so of these and is always a great day out!

Bring plenty of sunblock and a hat, wasn’t too many years ago it was so hot the road was melting and ‘eating’ jandals. That year was Legendary
NABS

optional
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Keith

Post by optional »

Hi Nathan,
from the tone of your post I take it that you are intending to be home Saturday night. That would probably suit us better too as we have to put ointment in george's eyes ( George is our 11 year old spaniel ), twice a day.
We will meet you in Whanganui. I am trying to remember where the BP is in Springvale, I'm sure we can find it and meet you there.

For those from points south we will be leaving Otaki, from opposite the BP station, around 6:00 a.m. traveling via SH1 and SH3. If anyone wants to join us let Sue know (021 364 5549). We will ensure that we don't go without you.
For people north of Otaki who want to join us let Sue know. We can meet at Bulls we can text you when we are leaving Otaki.
Looking forward to carching up,
Keith

NABS

Post by NABS »

Keith, yep I will be home Saturday night, I have a sick dog too who needs looking after but will probably stay for the dinner in Stratford that night.

Springvale, the easiest is head up the Main Street and just after pak n save I think it is hang a left and keep to the left, it’s bout a k from that intersection where you made that turn
It’s by the Springvale events centre on the other side of Parsons St.
NABS

NABS

Post by NABS »

great day out and 6 cars

IMG_1081.JPG
IMG_1081.JPG (173.52 KiB) Viewed 2726 times
IMG_1121.JPG
IMG_1121.JPG (149.38 KiB) Viewed 2726 times
IMG_1149.JPG
IMG_1149.JPG (141.14 KiB) Viewed 2726 times
IMG_1158.JPG
IMG_1158.JPG (176.61 KiB) Viewed 2726 times
NABS

EssDub
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Outside of New Zealand
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Graham

Post by EssDub »

So not much has changed in recent years, I see :P

tw2
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

Wow that is an impressive number of mr2's!
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

NABS

Post by NABS »

I had forgotten about that day. I lost 3 years worth of run photos when my hdd crashed
NABS

EssDub
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Outside of New Zealand
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Graham

Post by EssDub »

I've still got em all, if you want them, Nathan :)

And yes, tw2 - this is what you pulled out of, in 2011 :P