AKL 2 Manfield & back again. 22 & 24 Nov 2019

Events include those run by the Club and those run by others which are of interest to Club Members (e.g. track days). Events may be posted or run by any financial club member but an Area Coordinator or Committee may step in. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership

Moderators: Moderators, Area Coordinators

Forum rules
Events may be posted and run by any financial club member but are subject to moderation by an Area Coordinator or Committee. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership
mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

AKL 2 Manfield & back again. 22 & 24 Nov 2019

Post by mickeyduck »

MR2OCNZ 25th Anniversary Nationals at Manfield eh? Can't miss that one! :mrgreen:

I'm looking forward to the trip there and back just as much as the track time. Cos there are some seriously twisted roads between Auckland and Fielding. Mu ha ha...! :twisted:

If you're planning to hit the track at Manfield and you're rocking down on Friday 22nd November, or if you're heading north from there on the 24th, feel free to tag along.

For the trip down we JAFAs (Just AWesome Freakin' Aucklanders) will roll from the usual place in the car park at BP on SH1 Drury.
We need to avoid the worst of the Auckland traffic madness so I'm thinking we leave BP about 7am.
That means anyone coming from the North Shore, and the Westies like myself should hit the motorway about 6am or thereabouts to ensure we get to BP in time.

LEAVING BP SH1 DRURY 7am Friday 22nd Nov 2019.

It takes about 2 hours to get to BP in Cambridge so let's call it a 9am meet for the Mooloo crew.
Any BOPers wishing to tag along might want to meet us there too? :idea:

Meeting MOOLOOS & BOPers at Cambridge BP around 9am Friday 22nd Nov 2019

We should get to Mangakino around 11am. Turangi BP between noon and 1pm. Fielding by 3 or 4pm.

That way we'll have 2 or 3 hours of daylight to work on the cars down there if needs be. (Never know eh). And it gives us breathing space on the way down in case anyone's vehicle has a hiccup. That said, be sure to have your car as SWeet as possible before hitting the road cos this isn't a SH1 cruise. It's a back-road blast! :twisted:

The trip back on the Sunday will take a slightly different route so we get to take in a fresh dose of spectacular scenery and AWesome roads.

There are a few places on each route where we'll stop for 5 minutes to stretch our legs and snap a few pics. Cos there are some simply brilliant spots for photo ops. :mrgreen:

And there are plenty of gas stations too. I have BP stations lined up the whole way there and back. Be sure to fill the tank at every opportunity though. Few things annoy the crew more than some clown running out of gas! Don't be that guy. :wink:

OK here's a glimpse at the route from AKL to Fielding:
AKL-Fielding.png
AKL-Fielding.png (338.31 KiB) Viewed 3667 times
And here's a look at the return trip. Subtly different so we get to enjoy the best roads and scenery both ways.
Fielding-AKL.png
Fielding-AKL.png (315.2 KiB) Viewed 3667 times
I could tease you with some photos from past trips along these roads but that would just spoil it for you. Trust me there is some epic scenery. 8)

And your time behind the wheel is guaranteed to ensure your trip is not boring! Mu ha ha...! :twisted:

Catcha!
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Thomas

Re: AKL 2 Manfield & back again. 22 & 24 Nov 2019

Post by tw2 »

Awesome, I will be there, looks fantastic.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

THR4SHER007
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Logan

Post by THR4SHER007 »

Yep, will definitely be road tripping with everyone, see you at Cambridge BP
Current:
1991 MR2 G-Limited Manual Hard top
1998 Camry Gracia
Previous:
2004 Toyota Crown Majesta
2018 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401
2008 Toyota Blade Master G
2018 Yamaha YZF R3
1994 Celica ST202 Manual
Follow my Instagram @: https://www.instagram.com/logansunnex/

Rosscar
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Ross

Post by Rosscar »

A suggestion of a variation on your route down and one I enjoy when Im up north is to take Cambridge Rd from Cambridge down to Kihikihi and thence to Mangakino via Owairaka valley and Waipapa Rd. This avoids SH1 and is an excellent scenic route with no traffic and fast straights with a few nice twisties at the Mangakino end. Another variation a lot further south is to take the scenic turnoff just before Mangaweka to Fielding via Rangiwahia and Kimbolton -once again no traffic and some nice twisties followed by long straights. Enjoy!

motorheadsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Ivan

Post by motorheadsw20 »

I'll be there too guys :).

Only little thing is i'll be driving waaay out at the back since my missus gets a wee bit motion sickness through the twisties. The alternative is me being driven by the missus through the twisties (though i'll need dark color undies if she's driving me :P) ... happy wife happy life ;)

Any ideas if there's BP 98 Octane on the way down there ? I'll top up at Drury ... but still about 450km down to Manfield which is roughly what my 2 does on a full tank

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

It's alright, we'll be stopping for me to get gas often enough :P

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Ivor

Post by psyguy »

mknz wrote:It's alright, we'll be stopping for me to get gas often enough :P
Yeah, but... your car can pretty much run on anything while some of our cars are sensitive to anything less than 98 (which isn't as readily available).
:P

(tongue in cheek...)

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Rosscar wrote:A suggestion of a variation on your route down and one I enjoy when Im up north is to take Cambridge Rd from Cambridge down to Kihikihi and thence to Mangakino via Owairaka valley and Waipapa Rd. This avoids SH1 and is an excellent scenic route with no traffic and fast straights with a few nice twisties at the Mangakino end. Another variation a lot further south is to take the scenic turnoff just before Mangaweka to Fielding via Rangiwahia and Kimbolton -once again no traffic and some nice twisties followed by long straights. Enjoy!
It would appear you haven't studied, or driven all of my route down to Fielding. :wink: But that's OK as I'm not posting the map in enough detail to zoom right in. And the bits you have driven, we clearly agree are great. :D

Trust me when I say there is b.a. state highway and LOTS of very scenic twisty back roads. Tarmac rally stages included. :twisted:

And we do take the scenic route from Mangaweka. :mrgreen:

Don't get me wrong though - thanks for your suggestions. Always appreciated! Local knowledge is gold. 8)

As I said earlier too, there are plenty of BP gas stations on the way. More than enough for Michael's AW. Which I drove while leading runs how many times mate? (30 or so stickers under the lid...) And I never managed to get more than 270km from a tank of gas! Usually about 240. Other run attendees would tell me they got nearer 400km a tank. Of course at the time I just thought it was my driving style, keeping it in the power band at all times... :lol: I was hugely surprised to score a 500hp SW and find it was more economical on road trips. :shock: :lol:

It's going to be great to have you guys all tag along, you'll have a blast.

Ivan, if we end up having a BBQ in Fielding, you're cooking! :wink:

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

simonaszakra
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Mid Canterbury
First name: Simon

Post by simonaszakra »

Attachments
auckalnd to and back.jpg
when one isn't enough buy 10

84 AW11 manual 16v smallport redtop
84 AW11 manual 16v redtop (Trackcar)
87 AW11 auto supercharger
86 AW11 manual mossy but to be saved
84 AW11 sneaky boi low numbers car
85 AW11 auto low kms
85 AW11 hopefully not a parts car
86 AW11 nz new sadly a parts car
84 AW11 parts car
93 SW20 GTS

motorheadsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Ivan

Post by motorheadsw20 »

Booked into the South street west motel :) so happy to be on BBQ duty

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

motorheadsw20 wrote:Booked into the South street west motel :) so happy to be on BBQ duty
Excellent! :D

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Rodney

Post by Speedhog »

Man that car on the extreme left of the Event photo looks Mad as! :twisted: :twisted:

With much sorrow and regret, I am not gonna make it as tail-ender/Mr2-hastener :lol:

Enjoy the drive boys and girls! I'm jealous of all those twisties you will get to enjoy, especially after Taihape on the way down. Love those roads!

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Speedhog wrote:Man that car on the extreme left of the Event photo looks Mad as! :twisted: :twisted:
A bit like its driver... :P

You will be missed as always Rodney. :(

But past experience suggests to me you'll have other stuff to do that's plenty intense... :wink: :twisted: :shock: :lol:

I'll look forward to catching up again some time mate. 8)

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Hoping to do a wee test run next Sunday to ensure the car is up to speed...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15537

If you're in Auckland, feel free to join me if you want to ensure your '2 is ready to rock'n'roll.
Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 8.34.01 am.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 8.34.01 am.png (389.5 KiB) Viewed 3323 times

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Just doing the maths for our budget. If you're wondering, the trip there and back taking this epic scenic route is around 1090km. That's 555km on the way there, 535km on the way back.