AKL 2 Manfield & back again. 22 & 24 Nov 2019

Events include those run by the Club and those run by others which are of interest to Club Members (e.g. track days). Events may be posted or run by any financial club member but an Area Coordinator or Committee may step in. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership

Moderators: Moderators, Area Coordinators

Forum rules
Events may be posted and run by any financial club member but are subject to moderation by an Area Coordinator or Committee. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership
mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Re: AKL 2 Manfield & back again. 22 & 24 Nov 2019

Post by mickeyduck »

OK so the red beastie is booked in for a WOF on Tuesday. I'm taking a half day off for the occasion. Better damn well pass. Otherwise I might be bringing an AW with a naffed rear shock, no rear sway bar, an open diff, buggered engine mounts and ancient OEM brakes lines...

Saturday (preceding the WOF) I'll be making a few small test runs in the SW, try to dial in the suspension, then Sunday should be good for a proper test run, a real one.

Planning to fit a new wastegate diaphragm, fuel regulator diaphragm, fit the oil cooler again and do an oil change before the trip.

Better wash the thing too I suppose. :lol:

Looking to me as if we might only have half a dozen cars on the trip down? Not that it matters. Anything from 3 cars to 33 is SWeet with me. 8)

Either way we're gonna be mooooovin'....! :wink:
B00STN-Mangakino.jpg
B00STN-Mangakino.jpg (1015.24 KiB) Viewed 2810 times
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Got the WOF. Rock n roll...! :D

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Simon

Post by 85AW20v »

mickeyduck wrote:OK so the red beastie is booked in for a WOF on Tuesday. I'm taking a half day off for the occasion. Better damn well pass. Otherwise I might be bringing an AW with a naffed rear shock, no rear sway bar, an open diff, buggered engine mounts and ancient OEM brakes lines...
And do you reckon this one is roadworthy and would pass a WOF?? :shock: :roll:
See ya
Simon
AW11 Racecar - 860kg

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

85AW20v wrote:
mickeyduck wrote:OK so the red beastie is booked in for a WOF on Tuesday. I'm taking a half day off for the occasion. Better damn well pass. Otherwise I might be bringing an AW with a naffed rear shock, no rear sway bar, an open diff, buggered engine mounts and ancient OEM brakes lines...
And do you reckon this one is roadworthy and would pass a WOF?? :shock: :roll:
It has one Simon. From a testing station. But I don't drive it cos I want to fix it up first.
Rear shock is the first thing I'll fix. Leaks a tiny bit from the adjuster valve on top.
Rear sway bar will be added at the time. It never shipped with one eh.
Need to increase rear camber and get new rear tyres (I destroyed outer edges sliding it around corners).
Naffed engine mounts go clunk cos rubber is sad. I have the urethane to make new inserts, just need time to do the job.
Brake lines are fine for road use but might give trouble on track, will be replaced by Hel lines at some stage. As will the old clutch hose.
Replace open diff with LSD... yeah maybe one day, would be nice.
Oh and I forgot it needs a new muffler, had a wee hole from a baffle's broken spot weld which I had welded up but the baffle inside rattles.
Need to repaint the left front guard (sunburnt clear coat).
And cut out a bit of rust about 2cm long by 5mm wide. The only rust in the car.
Wants a new windscreen too cos it's scratched as hell (old).

The car is very drivable as is and is actually in way better nick than most AW's. The testing station guys love it. Once I get around to attacking it and doing those things it will undoubtedly be one of the straightest ones around. Been working on the SW first though, it got neglected for quite some time. Bouncing back. 8)

Reckon yours would get a WOF Simon...? :P :wink: :lol: :mrgreen:

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

I know this much... if Simon's track car is at Manfield I'm going to try to keep out of the way. He's likely to run rings around me. 8)

Righto. A summary of meeting times for the trip to Manfield:

LEAVING BP SH1 DRURY 7am Friday 22nd Nov 2019.

Meeting MOOLOOS & BOPers at Cambridge BP around 9am Friday 22nd Nov 2019.

Meeting more BOPers in the car park next to the lake at Mangakino, about 11am Friday 22nd Nov 2019.

Right now... back out to the shed. See you on the day! :)

motorheadsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Ivan

Post by motorheadsw20 »

I failed the WOF :o :shock: ... 4 ball joints out of order (a bit weird so I reckon the garage never checked them since I've been going for a WOF there for couple of years) and rear engine mount ... murphy's law it seems ;)

... though because I'm acutely aware that I need to stand duty by the BBQ I've just ordered all 4 ball joints and a bushing for the engine mount - hopefully all done this weekend.

Otherwise I'll have to rock up in the Holden Craptiva :D :D ... though it'd be good as a towing car around the track :wink:

85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Simon

Post by 85AW20v »

mickeyduck wrote:I know this much... if Simon's track car is at Manfield I'm going to try to keep out of the way. He's likely to run rings around me. 8)
I'll be there Charlie but I'll have no chance on the straights!! :roll: :lol:
See ya
Simon
AW11 Racecar - 860kg

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Just got back from a wee test blat - being careful to draw as little attention as possible around Whenuapai as there are plenty of plain clothes cops there due to Prince Charles flying in today. The reduced rear camber has had no detrimental effect on cornering as far as I can tell. Feels slightly less twitchy under full boost in a straight line so that's good too. Steering wheel is a gnat's whisker off true now so might try to sort that. But it looks like the red thing will be ok for next weekend. :D

Plan B was to take the AW. SW on ramps in the shed so will give it all a last look over, then suss Isaac's AW with him.

Have discovered that Swann have my policies muddled. They have club track dispensation attached to my GT86 but not the SW. Need to get that sorted this week...! :idea:

:arrow: How is it shaping up Ivan? We need your black beastie ready for next weekend mate.

motorheadsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Ivan

Post by motorheadsw20 »

Black beastie all ready to go :D ... luckily I didn't have to use the plan B vehicle (though that's a black beastie too ;)
20190112_185519.jpg
Catch you guys bright and early on Friday in Drury

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

Haha it's still mid engine RWD. Might have. gone well in the. Gymkhana and Show and Shine
.Glad to see you got number 1 black beastie going.

See you at Manfeild
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Ivor

Post by psyguy »

Weekend weather forecast looking mint 8)

See you tomorrow!

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

motorheadsw20 wrote:Black beastie all ready to go :D ... luckily I didn't have to use the plan B vehicle (though that's a black beastie too ;)

20190112_185519.jpg
Who would have thought that a guy with the moniker "motorheadsw20 would be into "Mow-town". :shock:

Good on ya Ivan! :wink:

See y'all bright and early at BP Drury. I'm not looking forward to getting outta bed but I am looking forward to the drive! :mrgreen:

We are the road crew... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUPoZEIU5VI

Planning to leave BP SH1 Drury 7am. (Man I hope I don't sleep in...) :P

See you there.

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by psyguy »

mickeyduck wrote:
We are the road crew... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUPoZEIU5VI
:P :P :P

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

Ok Guys Help me out

Given the choice of a Supercharged AW Auto or a standard Spyder which would you take to Manfeild> Remember not going to track either>

Give me your opinion
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by psyguy »

MIKEP wrote:Ok Guys Help me out

Given the choice of a Supercharged AW Auto or a standard Spyder which would you take to Manfeild> Remember not going to track either>

Give me your opinion
I'm biased :wink: