AKL pre-Manfield test run Sun 3 Nov

Events include those run by the Club and those run by others which are of interest to Club Members (e.g. track days). Events may be posted or run by any financial club member but an Area Coordinator or Committee may step in. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership

Moderators: Moderators, Area Coordinators

Forum rules
Events may be posted and run by any financial club member but are subject to moderation by an Area Coordinator or Committee. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership
MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Mike

Re: AKL pre-Manfield test run Sun 3 Nov

Post by MIKEP »

Not sure if I'll get there I'm bloody sore still but if I do I'll see you there. Plans havnt come together and I didn't get a WOF on the black beauty which means I would have to take the Spyder
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

All good Mike, no pressure to be there mate but if you do feel up to it, it'll be good to see you. Either way, just have yourself an enjoyable day. 8)
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Rodney

Post by Speedhog »

mickeyduck wrote:
Speedhog wrote:Shall I follow with the truck and trailer Charlie? :lol:
Ha ha, I'm busted. Why do you think I'll be doing a run out West Rodney? :wink: :P :lol:

And if you do manage to find Madaz some rubber it'd be great to have you tag along in the shopping trolley mate. 8)
AS it worked out, my weekend plans are shot to hell after speedway on friday, Helping Chris with his MR2engined playtoy on saturday and event planning today meant I didn't get the time to pull the good rubber out of the shed for the shopping trolley in time. Maybe December if the stars align (and no date conflicts. :lol:)

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

LOL. :lol:

Woodcocks strikes again.
Cruising along Old North Rd at the start of the run, a knocking started up on the front left. As I drove along it got more and more frequent as if something was undoing itself. :shock:

Turned left into Taylor Rd to suss it out. The first thing I discovered was that I've driven around for the last 6 years in that thing with no jack. Doh! Borrowed one off Kevin and we jacked up that corner, wrestled with everything that mattered and all seemed rock solid tight. Except where the brake line connects to the steel tubing as it goes through a bracket on the chassis, it made a wee clunking noise when we moved the line. I tightened the clamp that secures the hose to the chassis bracket and we let the car back down on its feet.

Short test run, noise still there, getting worse not better if anything. Metallic sound like steel hitting steel. Not cool.

I asked Ivor to carry on leading the run in the hope that them that showed would have a good day. I mean the weather is utterly exceptional today. Wow! :D

Thinking we had checked every single nut and bolt on the left front I headed for home at a trundle, the knocking noise becoming more and more frequent. Trying to visualise every nut and bolt that I've had apart doing the suspension rebuild, it suddenly occurred to me there was one that we had forgotten to check. The nut that secures the top end of the shock to the top-hat.

Pulled over to the side of SH16, got out a 17mm spanner and bingo, it was indeed that nut. :roll:
So I got out a 14mm spanner and removed the damper adjuster. Then took an allen key and the 17mm spanner and tightened that nut up as best I could. And guess what? No noise at all the rest of the way home. :D :D :D

Once home I pulled the nut off to find that unlike the ones on the rear shocks, it's a not a nylock nut. So the only thing stopping them from undoing is the tightness of them. And they were pretty darn tight when I put the struts together, believe me. Off they came and after a clean of the threads with Clean-R-Carb, on went some medium strength Loctite.

Thank goodness it was something so stupidly simple.

In all other respects the car seems great. Very happy with the feel of it through the corners. With these really hard springs I can soften the shocks and get a fairly nice ride while it corners flat and turns in precisely. SWeet.

I hope the other guys had a great day out. Weather sure is nice.

OK out to the shed, ready the SW for Tuesday's WOF.

The nut:
DSCF8701.JPG
Top of the shock:
DSCF8703.JPG
Doing the nut up again, this time with Loctite:
DSCF8704.JPG
All back together. The 14mm nut just below the knurled black adjuster is what holds the damper adjuster on. The 17mm nut that secures the shock to the top-hat is below that.
DSCF8697.JPG

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

nivek
Guest of the Club.
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Kevin

Post by nivek »

I’m glad it was something simple. Woodcocks road was a blast as usual.

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Ivor

Post by psyguy »

Glad you have it sorted Charlie!
And to think that as we were trying to acertain what was going on with the noise, Brian actually fiddled with that nut at the top of the shock! But then our attention went elsewhere...

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

I thought he was fiddling with the 14mm one which holds the damper adjuster on Ivor, which is why I asked him to leave it alone. But yes if I had put a spanner on the 17mm nut below it, we'd have had it nailed.

Glad you guys had a fun run despite my little hiccup. And glad I found the issue and it turned out to be so simple. A good day all round! :D