AKL to Pakiri for Christmas BBQ 22 Dec 2019

Events include those run by the Club and those run by others which are of interest to Club Members (e.g. track days). Events may be posted or run by any financial club member but an Area Coordinator or Committee may step in. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership

Moderators: Moderators, Area Coordinators

Forum rules
Events may be posted and run by any financial club member but are subject to moderation by an Area Coordinator or Committee. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership
tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Thomas

Re: AKL to Pakiri for Christmas BBQ 22 Dec 2019

Post by tw2 »

mickeyduck wrote:
I'm thinking we shoot down SH22 next time and nip off to the Nikau Cave Cafe instead of going all the way to Raglan. Maybe the 19th of January? That's 4 weeks away and should give most folk time to get back from holidays. A good run for the southern crew too. Might even give Paul time to get an MR2 on the road?
Sounds good. We can organise a convoluted route up to meet you guys and continue SH22. Let me know when you have an approximate route and I'll sort something for our end.

Another great run. Good to see everyone again!
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Rodney

Post by Speedhog »

Still giggling to myself that the shopping trolley known as Madaz2 is near the front..

Thanks for the run Charlie and the BBQ Mike, and the quick stop at paradise in Kaukaupakaupa @ Ivan's palace.

I may not make the 19th Jan, not sure yet.

Mr-Paulio
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Paul

Post by Mr-Paulio »

mickeyduck wrote:Might even give Paul time to get an MR2 on the road?
Working on it!!!
Though I was thinking my first run back might need to be HOONua. Just in case :wink: :wink: :lol:
'89 AW11 V6 Turbo (350BHP & 380Ft/lbs!) :twisted:
'86 AW11 20V (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo "BlackRat" #RatRodStyle (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo (Sold) :(
South Auckland Area Coordinator

justfun
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Tina

Post by justfun »

Many thanks for Mike, Charlie and Ivan
Awesome day out!
Couldn't have asked for more.
Great roads and great company.

Wondering if a run via Whitford to Hunua and on to Mirranda then to Whangamata and Waihi would be of interest.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

tw2 wrote:
mickeyduck wrote:
I'm thinking we shoot down SH22 next time and nip off to the Nikau Cave Cafe instead of going all the way to Raglan. Maybe the 19th of January? That's 4 weeks away and should give most folk time to get back from holidays. A good run for the southern crew too. Might even give Paul time to get an MR2 on the road?
Sounds good. We can organise a convoluted route up to meet you guys and continue SH22. Let me know when you have an approximate route and I'll sort something for our end.
We'll be meeting at BP on SH1 Drury as we usually do for the southern runs Thomas. The trip to Nikau Cave Cafe doesn't go all that far down 22 before cutting towards the coast, and there's nowhere to park up at the intersection of 22 and the cafe's road either, so the BP at Drury would be the place to meet up. You could head home afterwards by turning left onto 22 though...
justfun wrote:Wondering if a run via Whitford to Hunua and on to Mirranda then to Whangamata and Waihi would be of interest.
Tina your suggestion sounds a lot like the Kaiaua Fish n Chip run we do (or used to do) each year, though this is definitely the wrong time to do it unless you like chugging along nice twisty roads at Nissan Micra pace.
Mr-Paulio wrote:I was thinking my first run back might need to be HOONua. Just in case :wink: :wink: :lol:
Nah just get a test blat or two in around your neck of the woods before-hand Paul. You have great roads for that. Much like the stuff near here that I use for that purpose. See you on the run! :wink:
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

tw2
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

I presumed you would want to have a loop of SH22 included in your run? Or just down to the cafe and back?
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

justfun
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Tina

Post by justfun »

Charlie!
get your point about city drivers on country roads, but.......... we (being the MR2 Spyder and a Honda S2000) did the Whangamata loop on a quiet weekend (epic Coromandel loop had been cancelled :cry: ) and really had the roads to ourselves until we reached Waitakaruru. Even then, the traffic was very light. Once we left SH25A, we stopped to allow space between us and any traffic in front. This made for a really decent run over the hill and into Whangamata. Made Mark remember why he had harranged me into buying one of his "approved list" vehicles! Reckon this is worth sharing.
So..... agree that picking a good time of the year is critical, but this will be the story with any run.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

Putting the run to Nikau Caves cafe on hold for now. Sorry folks. SW wastegate needs sorting and the AW needs its CV joints done from the sound of it (just drove home very slowly having gone for a test run after fitting new shocks all around).

Good job I'm not the AC anymore eh? :lol:
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Mr-Paulio
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Paul

Post by Mr-Paulio »

mickeyduck wrote:Good job I'm not the AC anymore eh? :lol:
Us ACs aren't doing much better ATM! :lol:
'89 AW11 V6 Turbo (350BHP & 380Ft/lbs!) :twisted:
'86 AW11 20V (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo "BlackRat" #RatRodStyle (Sold) :(