Taranaki Ghost town 2nd August

Events include those run by the Club and those run by others which are of interest to Club Members (e.g. track days). Events may be posted or run by any financial club member but an Area Coordinator or Committee may step in. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership

Moderators: Moderators, Area Coordinators

Forum rules
Events may be posted and run by any financial club member but are subject to moderation by an Area Coordinator or Committee. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership
NABS
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ

Re: Taranaki Ghost town 2nd August

Post by NABS »

Took the car out yesterday to scout the roads and make sure all is clear, the roads are pretty good with just a few washouts coned off but the roads are good to go. Whanga is open for business too.

When we get to Ohura there is a little coffee cart, its about an hour up the road from Whangamomana. We will stop there for a few minutes for a coffee fix for those who want one and regroup before heading off.

The gravel section is smooth and good at the Whanga end and we were easily doing 60-80kmh. Around the middle there are a few potholes but easily avoided if your doing less than 50. Towards the end, any potholes are filled in and it smooths out again.

Looking forward to the day and will see if I can load some photos taken yesterday
NABS

NABS

Post by NABS »

Here are some photos of yesterday
Attachments
A820929E-6983-404F-A469-7E99A748F324.jpeg
0D0A9D87-C915-410A-9517-B52D615F1AF1.jpeg
NABS

001SPYDER
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Gordon

Post by 001SPYDER »

Well unless I'm struck down with a mysterious illness mid week not looking like the Toycar going to be finished in time after all for the ghost town run. 😕
IMG_20200726_121319-01.jpeg

NABS

Post by NABS »

That’s a shame, this road is made for these cars. It’s going to look good though when it’s finished.

In saying that, my car is off the road too for the foreseeable future so we will be doing this in the car we used yesterday
NABS

001SPYDER
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Gordon

Post by 001SPYDER »

Yes for sure the Forgotten Highway is perfect for a Sunday drive (or any day) in an MR2.
Another cool loop is Manganui Rd to Waikawau and beyond getting back onto 3 at Waitomo 👍🏻

NABS

Post by NABS »

definitely, I have done that 3 times over the last few years
NABS

optional
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Keith

Post by optional »

What a great day!
Don't have any photos ( I forgot my camera was in the car ). The Forgotten World Highway is always a blast and there was almost no traffic. The Tangarakau Gorge was about the worst I can remember it, due to recent rains, that failed to kill the sheer fun of the drive. The ection through Ohura was new to me, although Sue swears we have been there before. And what roads!
All in all 650 km in a day, including the run home to Levin, and I was still buzzing when we got home.
Thanks again Nabs, a great day. I might have to move even closer to Taranaki. Your runs are always great fun. It's just a pity that there weren't more cars. Those who didn't go have missed one of the great days driving I have had for a long time.
Keith

NABS

Post by NABS »

Thanks Keith, Sue and Pierre for making the long trip up and Mike and Leslie for making it a good day, it was great seeing you all.

4 cars in total, MRS, SW20 and an AW11.
I logged the K’s for the run itself at around 410 gas station start to 3a end with dry roads and no rain.

Don’t worry about the photos Keith I got a few I will post up.

NB: if anyone is passing through Ohura on a weekend, be sure to stop in at Michelles’ coffee cart shack, I don’t know about anyone else on the day but her banana cake is amazing! From an old family recipe she said...
Attachments
F7ACAD3A-44AC-440D-A69E-C73436723DE5.jpeg
3D17B0DA-0324-4FD1-9904-0B7A3DB04A1E.jpeg
106DBEB2-4F6F-4931-924D-36D5563815ED.jpeg
381541CF-0B87-49CB-B0C0-E59DEBA85CE4.jpeg
2D1AB2CA-F1D0-4EFD-AD0B-D97798937A5A.jpeg
NABS