SUNRISE LOOP RUN

Events include those run by the Club and those run by others which are of interest to Club Members (e.g. track days). Events may be posted or run by any financial club member but an Area Coordinator or Committee may step in. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership

Moderators: Moderators, Area Coordinators

Forum rules
Events may be posted and run by any financial club member but are subject to moderation by an Area Coordinator or Committee. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership
optional
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Keith

SUNRISE LOOP RUN

Post by optional »

Hi folks,
I am looking at the idea of a tour around the East Cape:
THE SUNRISE LOOP !

POSTPONED ! PROBABLE DATE LABOUR WEEKEND!
The idea is to start from Gisborne and circumnavigate the East Cape in a day. This would mean traveling from Gisborne to Hicks Bay, up the southern coast of the East Cape, then to Whakatane along the North coast, returning to Gisborne via the Waioeka Gorge. This being the most easterly part of the island and the first part of the world to see the sun I have named it the SUNRISE LOOP. By my calculation this about 8 to 9 hours driving.
There are a few new members on the eastern side of the Island and this is the ideal way to welcome them to the club. Those in Hawke's Bay and Gisborne can start in Gisborne with other Southern North Island folk. Those from Bay of Plenty and further north can meet us in Gisborne but peel off in Whakatane.
In order to make this as easy as possible for everyone the ideal time to do this would be the Sunday of a long weekend. People would have the Saturday to get to the meeting point and the Monday to get home. Since Nathan has a great run planned for the end of March, Easter will be a bit too soon for some of us. The next long weekend is Anzac day ( since 25th is a Saturday). The next one after that is Queens Birthday but the weather is likely to be a bit cool and unfriendly then, likewise with Labour Weekend so Anzac seems like the best option.

Who is keen?

bren38
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Brendan

Re: SUNRISE LOOP RUN

Post by bren38 »

Sounds great! As luck would have it I have to drive Rotorua to Gisborne via the Waioeka Gorge tomorrow, and back again the same day, but that will be in the daily driver rather than the MR2, so I'll look forward to the chance to do it again with company :)

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

I am keen, however April would be too soon for me. Queens weekend may work, however you are right, weather could be... tropical? But more fun... The other option is to have people take a Monday off, even if it was say a school holidays one. A long weekend does also mean far more cars on the road, so considering we want some nice empty roads, who knows...

Crawley may be able to help with organising as he is closest to Gisborne, and we could rattle some of the untapped cars in Hawke's Bay to come along.
As well as the Membership Officer, he is going to step up and do the AC thing for the Hawke's Bay. There is Hawke's Bay Anniversary Day on Friday, 23 Oct 2020 - would that weekend suit? I know it's a while away, however it does mean plenty of prep, saving and getting many people to come.
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

Crawls
Stomping Ground: Hawkes Bay

Post by Crawls »

I will sort out a run from hawkes bay later in the year if that's fine. Hb anniversary weekend could be a go if it works for others
Keith "Crawls" Crawley
Membership Officer & Hawkes Bay Area Coordinator
90 SW20 n/a (Repairing)
18 Fortuner (Current)
92 SW20 (Current)
https://www.instagram.com/keith_crawley

MR2PWR
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Dixon

Post by MR2PWR »

ANZAC weekend in a months time would be better as the weather would still be good and not too wet yet........
hometown is Churton Park, Wellington .................

previous car a 1990 Red SW20 targa top manual,
now have a 2004 Blue ZZW30 Spyder, 6 speed Manual

pbaron
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Pierre

Post by pbaron »

I would be in for an ANZAC weekend run.
SW20 project car

WairoaboyNZ
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Anthony

Post by WairoaboyNZ »

I guess the Virus thing puts a halt to these sorts of events? A drive from Napier to Wairoa would be a great warm up :D

ClanFever
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

Level 3 + 4 would mean no event, if we're at level 1 or 2, then we can decide based on science or something...
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

JamyD
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Janice

Post by JamyD »

Only got this now 😢 would have loved to join and see if I could have got a couple more MR2s from Gisborne, there are at least 4 that I am aware of

Crawls

Post by Crawls »

JamyD wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:54 pm
Only got this now 😢 would have loved to join and see if I could have got a couple more MR2s from Gisborne, there are at least 4 that I am aware of
This is still running, it is on labour weekend. Check out viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15722 for more info.
Keith "Crawls" Crawley
Membership Officer & Hawkes Bay Area Coordinator
90 SW20 n/a (Repairing)
18 Fortuner (Current)
92 SW20 (Current)
https://www.instagram.com/keith_crawley