Hawkes Bay to Whakatane run

Events include those run by the Club and those run by others which are of interest to Club Members (e.g. track days). Events may be posted or run by any financial club member but an Area Coordinator or Committee may step in. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership

Moderators: Moderators, Area Coordinators

Forum rules
Events may be posted and run by any financial club member but are subject to moderation by an Area Coordinator or Committee. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership
Crawls
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Hawkes Bay
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Keith

Re: Hawkes Bay to Whakatane run

Post by Crawls »

psyguy wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:44 pm
May I suggest the first post gets updated with the current details? It may help the out-of-towners like me to get their head around what's going on and hopefully join in more readily. I went through the whole thread twice and I'm still not quite sure on the exact plan. :? Cheers
Thanks for the reminder mate.

Ok everyone, here is what we have at the moment.

24th October:

We assemble at the HB Sports Park ready for departure at 8:30am. From here we travel North via Napier-Hastings Expressway, and we take an inland road from Wairoa to Gisborne (Courtesy of mickeyduck) and will end up in Gisborne in time for a quick lunch. From here, we had around East Cape, stopping for breaks etc. We end up in Whakatane for the night.

25th October:

We head south via Rotorua to Taupo. May have a possible catchup with the 86's Lads.
From Taupo is where i dont have more info. For the Wellington/Wairarapa/New Plymouth members they can head south via Turangi (SH1) and the HB guys can head back via SH5

But again, still time for subtle changes. So please let me know.

Cheers
Keith "Crawls" Crawley
Membership Officer & Hawkes Bay Area Coordinator
90 SW20 n/a (Repairing)
18 Fortuner (Current)
92 SW20 (Current)
https://www.instagram.com/keith_crawley

Crawls

Post by Crawls »

Well we are officially only a few weeks away. Still time for more people to join up for a run. But in the mean time, those who have decided to come along, can you please PM me with your names and phone numbers just so I can make an "emergency" list up. Don't want to use it, but better safe than sorry. These are MR2's after all (snap oversteer lol). And depending on whether mine gets a pass for a re-vin, I may be in my Corolla for the run :?

But we shall see.

I will post again soon.

See ya all soon.
Keith "Crawls" Crawley
90 SW20 n/a (Repairing)
18 Fortuner (Current)
92 SW20 (Current)

*84vvt
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Colin

Post by *84vvt »

Im not going to make this :cry:
The AW has decided that after 100 000 Km it wants some TLC (truck loads of cash)
I have the WOF stuff sorted but the clutch is very low (on the floor) still grabs and not slipping but to risky for a long run.
so engine out time :) .
Boosted cars are like hot women.
A little edgy, every guy wants one,
some guys can't handle them,
and if you throw a little alcohol in them they'll rock your world.

Crawls

Post by Crawls »

Oh bugger that sucks Colin. I will take some photos for ya :mrgreen:
Keith "Crawls" Crawley
90 SW20 n/a (Repairing)
18 Fortuner (Current)
92 SW20 (Current)

optional
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: More than one MR2

Post by optional »

Sue and I are still intending to make this run, however it will depend on her upcoming operation ( supposed to happen today ).
However we will probably not return via Taupo. With relatives and friends in Tauranga and Rotorua we have done that road a million times. Since it is a loooooong time since I have been through the Waioeka Gorge so we will probably come back that way. Besides that is rated as on of the best rides / drives in the southern hemisphere.
Keith

ClanFever
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

Bex and I can't wait for a little holiday! We're thinking about staying an extra night in Whakatane and might just hang back there

We'll be quite late on the Friday so I'll ask the motel people if they can release the keys to one of you guys for us, will possibly be looking at 10 or 11pm :oops: :oops: just how it goes I suppose!!
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

Crawls

Post by Crawls »

Mean Olaf. I'm sure someone can pick up your key
Keith "Crawls" Crawley
90 SW20 n/a (Repairing)
18 Fortuner (Current)
92 SW20 (Current)

WairoaboyNZ
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Anthony

Post by WairoaboyNZ »

Any idea what time will be hitting Wairoa?

Can possibly organize a photo shoot and stint in the local paper if there's time?

Crawls

Post by Crawls »

We will be leaving Hastings at 8:30am. Not sure how long it takes to get to wairoa.
Keith "Crawls" Crawley
90 SW20 n/a (Repairing)
18 Fortuner (Current)
92 SW20 (Current)

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

*84vvt wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:07 pm
Im not going to make this :cry:
The AW has decided that after 100 000 Km it wants some TLC (truck loads of cash)
I have the WOF stuff sorted but the clutch is very low (on the floor) still grabs and not slipping but to risky for a long run.
so engine out time :) .
That totally sux Colin. :(

Clutch - mine did that, was the slave cylinder. Couldn't spot the leak but it was. Best re-sleeved and kitted as the after-market replacements have incorrect angle where the tube goes in.
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Crawls

Post by Crawls »

Well, the news isn't good. I can't get a repair cert until at least after Labour Weekend. So the mighty corolla will have to do the run instead. Not happy about that. And all my childcare arrangements fell through, so my 5yr old joins the run (start them early I guess).

Was looking forward to a kid free night haha.
Keith "Crawls" Crawley
90 SW20 n/a (Repairing)
18 Fortuner (Current)
92 SW20 (Current)

001SPYDER
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Gordon

Post by 001SPYDER »

hi wondering if non club members are able to attend this run ? I just missed out on the run in Taranaki but the Toycar is ready for this one. thanks

pbaron
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Pierre

Post by pbaron »

The more the merrier, pay to make some calls to see if accommodation in Whakatane is still available for Saturday night, and for Hasting area on Friday night (unless you are coming through early Saturday morning), I got a call from Barringtons yesterday to confirm I still wanted the booking I made months back.

I was going to finish work early on Friday to head to Hastings, but am now taking Friday off altogether, really looking forward to the run.
001SPYDER wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:54 pm
hi wondering if non club members are able to attend this run ? I just missed out on the run in Taranaki but the Toycar is ready for this one. thanks
SW20 project car

001SPYDER
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Gordon

Post by 001SPYDER »

pbaron wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:28 am
The more the merrier, pay to make some calls to see if accommodation in Whakatane is still available for Saturday night, and for Hasting area on Friday night (unless you are coming through early Saturday morning), I got a call from Barringtons yesterday to confirm I still wanted the booking I made months back.

I was going to finish work early on Friday to head to Hastings, but am now taking Friday off altogether, really looking forward to the run.
001SPYDER wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:54 pm
Awesome Pierre, and same asked for the Friday off bout a month ago and we Booked accommodation last week for Friday night Napier and Saturday in Whakatane. Counting down the days and watching the weather, hoping for top down without the umbrella lol. 👍🏻

Crawls

Post by Crawls »

Ok, a heads up for the guys with lower than normal cars (ie everyone I guess).

To get to the meeting point at the Mitre 10 Sports park on the Saturday morning, entry MUST be from Evenden Road. Purely and simply because if you enter from Lyndhurst Road there are about 3-4 reasonably decent speed humps.
I don't want the start of the run to be the end of it if you clip them.

I will be parked up just inside sports park in my Corolla from 8am. Look for the club banner :P

If you are not sure about this, either look it up on Google maps or pm me.

Cheers everyone.
Keith "Crawls" Crawley
90 SW20 n/a (Repairing)
18 Fortuner (Current)
92 SW20 (Current)