Hawkes Bay to Whakatane run

Events include those run by the Club and those run by others which are of interest to Club Members (e.g. track days). Events may be posted or run by any financial club member but an Area Coordinator or Committee may step in. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership

Moderators: Moderators, Area Coordinators

Forum rules
Events may be posted and run by any financial club member but are subject to moderation by an Area Coordinator or Committee. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership
Crawls
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Hawkes Bay
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Keith

Re: Hawkes Bay to Whakatane run

Post by Crawls »

Oh and while I remember.

Does anyone have a portable (MR2 capable) BBQ/cooker?

I have organised some sausages and patties for dinner in Whakatane, but could not get a small BBQ.
Keith "Crawls" Crawley
Membership Officer & Hawkes Bay Area Coordinator
90 SW20 n/a (Repairing)
18 Fortuner (Current)
92 SW20 (Current)
https://www.instagram.com/keith_crawley

pbaron
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Pierre

Post by pbaron »

What route are you planning to travel to Hastings/Napier, we could meet up in Wanganui and drive up the parapara's and head over to Waiouru, down to Taihape way and across from there, or meet up in Bulls/Marton area to head up to Taihape and across. This route is a much better drive than me heading up SH2 from Wellington. Let me know if that could fit with you, and anyone else heading up to Hastings/Napier on the day from the Wellington/Taranaki area and would like to make a day of it.
001SPYDER wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:00 pm
pbaron wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:28 am
The more the merrier, pay to make some calls to see if accommodation in Whakatane is still available for Saturday night, and for Hasting area on Friday night (unless you are coming through early Saturday morning), I got a call from Barringtons yesterday to confirm I still wanted the booking I made months back.

I was going to finish work early on Friday to head to Hastings, but am now taking Friday off altogether, really looking forward to the run.
001SPYDER wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:54 pm
hi wondering if non club members are able to attend this run ? I just missed out on the run in Taranaki but the Toycar is ready for this one. thanks
Awesome Pierre, and same asked for the Friday off bout a month ago and we Booked accommodation last week for Friday night Napier and Saturday in Whakatane. Counting down the days and watching the weather, hoping for top down without the umbrella lol. 👍🏻
SW20 project car

001SPYDER
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Gordon

Post by 001SPYDER »

pbaron wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:45 pm
What route are you planning to travel to Hastings/Napier, we could meet up in Wanganui and drive up the parapara's and head over to Waiouru, down to Taihape way and across from there, or meet up in Bulls/Marton area to head up to Taihape and across. This route is a much better drive than me heading up SH2 from Wellington. Let me know if that could fit with you, and anyone else heading up to Hastings/Napier on the day from the Wellington/Taranaki area and would like to make a day of it.
001SPYDER wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:00 pm
pbaron wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:28 am
The more the merrier, pay to make some calls to see if accommodation in Whakatane is still available for Saturday night, and for Hasting area on Friday night (unless you are coming through early Saturday morning), I got a call from Barringtons yesterday to confirm I still wanted the booking I made months back.

I was going to finish work early on Friday to head to Hastings, but am now taking Friday off altogether, really looking forward to the run.
001SPYDER wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:54 pm
hi wondering if non club members are able to attend this run ? I just missed out on the run in Taranaki but the Toycar is ready for this one. thanks
Awesome Pierre, and same asked for the Friday off bout a month ago and we Booked accommodation last week for Friday night Napier and Saturday in Whakatane. Counting down the days and watching the weather, hoping for top down without the umbrella lol. 👍🏻
that's a great idea, Im looking at leaving NP 6-7am to stop in Palmerstone North first so can catch up any time after 10.00-1100.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

So what time would you be likely to hit the Gentle Annie Pierre? I'm planning to take that road too but we first have to come down from Akl via Mangakino etc.
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

pbaron
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by pbaron »

Hi Charlie, Taihape is around an hour and a half from Palmerston North via Kimbolton to Mangaweka, I would be meeting Gordon in Palmerston North between 10 and 11 so would expect to be in Taihape between 12 and 12:30, how would that work out for you?
mickeyduck wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:29 am
So what time would you be likely to hit the Gentle Annie Pierre? I'm planning to take that road too but we first have to come down from Akl via Mangakino etc.
SW20 project car

pbaron
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by pbaron »

Hi Charlie, we now have a little more flexiblity in arrival time in Taihape to head across the gentle annie, let us know what time you think you can roll into Taihape and Gordon and I will look to meet up with you and anyone else from Mid/Upper North looking to come through this way.
pbaron wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:43 pm
Hi Charlie, Taihape is around an hour and a half from Palmerston North via Kimbolton to Mangaweka, I would be meeting Gordon in Palmerston North between 10 and 11 so would expect to be in Taihape between 12 and 12:30, how would that work out for you?
mickeyduck wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:29 am
SW20 project car

WairoaboyNZ
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Anthony

Post by WairoaboyNZ »

Hi Auckland/Waikato crew

What time are you likely to be passing Atiamuri/Rotoz turn off?

Will there be a potential meet up point in Turangi? Just weighing up time, schedule and energy

Thanks in advance

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Hi guys. This is always a bit interesting, trying to determine when we might get to wherever... So ball-park it's a bit like this:

Leave Massey West Auckland about 7am in the hope of getting along the Nor Western Motorway before it turns into a car-park. Leave BP Drury by 8am.

Should get to BP in Cambridge for a meet up with anyone from Moolooland about 9:30 (Thomas & co?)

Our route will take us to the Bus Stop Cafe, lakeside in Mangakino so Jordan you could meet us there? Should get to Mangakino by around 10:30 or 11:00am

We'll be heading to Turangi from there and if we've not grabbed lunch at Mangakino (Bush Burgers at the pub are simply epic) then we may have lunch at Burger King Turangi (we'll be filling up at the Z). Turangi by maybe 11:30 or 12 noon.

Let's say 1/2 hr for lunch and gas-up. So I'd imagine we won't get to Taihape before about 1:30. Heck to be on the safe side wet's say between 1:30 and 2pm. I think we'd want to gas right up at the BP before hitting the road for Hastings.

Then it'll be what, 2 to 2 1/2 hours of epic squigglies to get to Hastings. Boo-yah! Bring it on. :twisted:

Anyway guys that's my take on things. Bearing in mind there've been a few occasions over the years where some-one's MR2 has hit the skids so to speak and we've ended up an hour and a half late as a result. Hopefully not, this time! But there you go that's my best guess.

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

mickeyduck wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:24 pm
Should get to BP in Cambridge for a meet up with anyone from Moolooland about 9:30 (Thomas & co?
Sounds great, I am a definite. I am not sure how many more of us there will be, I just did a post on the Hamilton page. See you at 9.30am assuming the Auckland motorways are kind to you.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

WairoaboyNZ
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by WairoaboyNZ »

For anyone needing to know, without throwing out bad energy Lol...I will have an extensive tool kit and some spare bits and Bob's to take care of flat tyres, starter motor, dizzy, ignition, oil.

Taihape would be the perfect place for a oil check and top up for those northerners needing to have a full sump for hills and corners *ahem* half a litre per tank of fuel 🤣

WairoaboyNZ
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by WairoaboyNZ »

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

WairoaboyNZ wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:20 pm
Taihape would be the perfect place for a oil check and top up for those northerners needing to have a full sump for hills and corners *ahem* half a litre per tank of fuel 🤣
Oh come on. My SW only uses that much oil (and fuel) when I boost it... :P

pbaron
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by pbaron »

At this stage I will be waiting at the coffee cart in Robin Street near the public toilets from 1:30ish, have pm'd you my phone number to call or txt if plans change on the day.
mickeyduck wrote:
Hi guys. This is always a bit interesting, trying to determine when we might get to wherever... So ball-park it's a bit like this:
Let's say 1/2 hr for lunch and gas-up. So I'd imagine we won't get to Taihape before about 1:30. Heck to be on the safe side wet's say between 1:30 and 2pm. I think we'd want to gas right up at the BP before hitting the road for Hastings.

Then it'll be what, 2 to 2 1/2 hours of epic squigglies to get to Hastings. Boo-yah! Bring it on. :twisted:

Anyway guys that's my take on things. Bearing in mind there've been a few occasions over the years where some-one's MR2 has hit the skids so to speak and we've ended up an hour and a half late as a result. Hopefully not, this time! But there you go that's my best guess.
SW20 project car

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Ivor

Post by psyguy »

mickeyduck wrote:

Leave Massey West Auckland about 7am in the hope of getting along the Nor Western Motorway before it turns into a car-park. Leave BP Drury by 8am.
See you at BP Drury before 8am :)

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Guess I better go to bed then. Catch you guys tomorrow. 8)