10am Sunday 7th Feb AKL & Waikato

Events include those run by the Club and those run by others which are of interest to Club Members (e.g. track days). Events may be posted or run by any financial club member but an Area Coordinator or Committee may step in. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership

Moderators: Moderators, Area Coordinators

Forum rules
Events may be posted and run by any financial club member but are subject to moderation by an Area Coordinator or Committee. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership
mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

10am Sunday 7th Feb AKL & Waikato

Post by mickeyduck »

This coming Sunday 7th Feb there's 2 things going on that are of interest to me, and maybe to you...

1) Rotationals are running a skid pan session at Hampton Downs, 12 noon to 4:30pm. Hint hint Mr SKDZEZ... :idea:
My oldest son Isaac and 2 mates are "Rotationals" and he'll be there with his AW.
Suss out Rotationals on Facebook and take a look here:
https://rotationals.bigcartel.com/produ ... dpan-entry
Be quick if you want a slot on the skid pan!
MR2SkidPan_0033_cropped.jpg
MR2SkidPan_0033_cropped.jpg (131.57 KiB) Viewed 2097 times

2) The NZ Rocketry Association are hosting their annual Launch Day at Arthur Allan Thomas's farm in Taupiri. This year they will launch a full-scale NIKE replica. That's a 6.5 metre x 0.5 metre missile. Something to see! :shock:
https://www.nzrocketry.org.nz/events/na ... launch-day
https://www.nzrocketry.org.nz/events/na ... re-flights

https://youtu.be/YfxQD-ZvxUU

I'm planning to attend both events even though they kinda clash, so here's the plan:

Meet at BP on SH1 Drury (traditional meet for southern runs) at 10am Sunday 7th Feb.

Leave there by 10:30, take a bunch of AWesome twisty back-roads to Hampton Downs.
Attend the skid-pan session, catch up with and meet like-minded folk, have a few laughs, maybe smoke some tyres...

The biggest and best rockets are usually launched near the end of the day so I'm planning to trundle off to Rocket Day in time to get there by 3pm. That involves some more epic back-road twisties, perfect MR2 country. Probably need to leave Hamptons by 2:30 at the latest to get there in time. Of course if you prefer to stick around at Hampton's, SWeet as. 8)

Late notice I know but that's what I'm planning on doing, so if you feel like some fun see you at BP at 10am.

As always, stay tooned to this page in case of any updates.

#8^)
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Rodney

Re: 10am Sunday 7th Feb AKL & Waikato

Post by Speedhog »

I might just make this one!!

tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

Sounds great. I don't suppose you have any idea on possible routes you might take from Hamptons to the rocket launch? I might be able to join in for the second leg. Just trying to work out where it would make sense to meet up if possible.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

ricerocket
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Steph

Post by ricerocket »

slow car friendly? cause I've not really fanged the nugget yet :lol:
Might sign up for the skid pan! though no clue how an A/T will slide around

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Speedhog wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:40 am
That would be AWesome Rodney! I do hope you're going to give us all a skid-pan demo? Maybe take a few passengers?

tw2 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:19 pm
Sounds great. I don't suppose you have any idea on possible routes you might take from Hamptons to the rocket launch? I might be able to join in for the second leg. Just trying to work out where it would make sense to meet up if possible.
How about meeting us at Hampton's Thomas?

ricerocket wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:20 pm
slow car friendly? cause I've not really fanged the nugget yet :lol:
Might sign up for the skid pan! though no clue how an A/T will slide around
Auto: press the "Manu" button so it's in "manual" mode then it will rev to redline and won't shift up until you shift it up. Then use the shifter to hop between 1, 2, 3 as required. I had an over-boosted auto Supercharger and it was epic - the gearbox was by far the best auto I've ever driven. Manu is Maori for bird and considering the AW's badge I'd say if you "want to fly" use the Manu button. Just be aware the downshifts in Manu mode can be a bit brutal, so let the revs drop to at least 5,000rpm before down-shifts.

Or press the Pwr button and use the shift lever in which case it will shift down to whatever you select, will rev well but will shift up if the revs get near redline (whereas Manu won't) The down-shifts are more gentle than in Manu mode, typically taking about half a second. I always used to drive my auto SC AW in Pwr mode and use the shift lever. Always, everywhere. But on a skid pan I'd use Manu for sure. I used Manu mode around Hamptons when it first opened and it was epic fun. See my grin, below. :D
grinner.jpg
grinner.jpg (133.29 KiB) Viewed 2032 times

As for "slow cars" and fanging it... if you're not sure of things yet just follow at the back of our little convoy Steph and go at whatever pace you're happy with. I stop at strategic places so everyone can catch up and regroup. So if we vanish into the distance don't stress, we'll be waiting up ahead. Don't need anyone trying to out-drive their comfort zone and having a mishap.

Besides if your AW has good rubber and a proper wheel alignment all you need to remember is do all the braking before the corner, add throttle gently all the way through the corner, and trust the car will stick. Ideally, don't lift off or hit the brakes mid-corner (which is why I always go slower through blind corners).

If you think you're going too fast through a corner, gently add more throttle and trust the car. If you hear tyres squealing you're starting to push it. If the tyres don't squeal it will stick and you will have a good safety margin (unless you're driving on cheap crap tyres in which case you may not hear any squealing and they may suddenly let go and you may destroy your car).

If you have Potenzas running 30psi on a properly set up AW and you add throttle all the way through a corner, by the time the tyres start to squeal you'll safely be going faster than most cars can, believe me.
mr2sOnly.jpg
mr2sOnly.jpg (308.94 KiB) Viewed 2032 times

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Speedhog »

mickeyduck wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:29 pm
Speedhog wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:40 am
That would be AWesome Rodney! I do hope you're going to give us all a skid-pan demo? Maybe take a few passengers?
Not on the skid pan. ;) Happy to take a passengers for a ride but the car isn't set up for skidpan work.
(Might have rides available for the 21st Feb too, depends if Chris wants to Co-drive for me or not. )

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Speedhog wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:29 pm
Not on the skid pan. ;) Happy to take a passengers for a ride but the car isn't set up for skidpan work.
Come on mate, you could put the Madaz on the skid pan and have an absolute blast! I've seen you drive... :wink:

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

Good driving tips there Charlie You really are the AW whisperer . Hope you make it on the run Steph .
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

MIKEP wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:13 am
Good driving tips there Charlie You really are the AW whisperer .
Ha ha thanks Mike, there's a few of us around. I just love the way they handle, AWesome!

Update for everyone: man in charge of Rocket Day tells me they are looking to launch the biggest one around 3pm so we'll need to leave Hamptons about 2pm to get there in time.

Unless we all bring high powered binoculars and just watch the thing from Hamptons... :lol:
Certainly makes an impression when you're within cooey of the things on launch though.

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Speedhog »

mickeyduck wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:52 pm
Speedhog wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:29 pm
Come on mate, you could put the Madaz on the skid pan and have an absolute blast! I've seen you drive... :wink:
All good and well if I was taking Madaz ;)

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Speedhog wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:42 am
Ooooohhh....! Bringing something a bit more AWesome then? :D

Righto as usual I'm running slightly late, :roll: but we're on our way...

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Speedhog »

16126446597558759585619309421274.jpg
mickeyduck wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:11 am
Speedhog wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:42 am
Ooooohhh....! Bringing something a bit more AWesome then? :D

Righto as usual I'm running slightly late, :roll: but we're on our way...
Anything AWsome is possible. ;)

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

It's cool being able to be a proud Dad. Rotationals cruise to Hampton Downs for their skid pan session was as always a great turnout. A heck of a lot of very cool cars, and very cool young folk. I get a buzz every time outta the gatherings my son and his mates can pull together, and the always top-notch manner in which the whole Rotationals crew behave. Hundreds of young petrol heads with their heads screwed on right. Hats off to you all. Mint. 8)

Unlike some that came before them, judging by the shredded tyre carcasses at the motorway off-ramp intersection. :shock:

OK, on to the day's fails...
The largest amateur rocket launched in the southern hemisphere, a NIKE Smoke replica, goes up... in smoke.
Bugger.

Or is someone angling to get a place on the SpaceX team...?
SN9.png
SN9.png (182.86 KiB) Viewed 1920 times
NIKE-Smoke .png
NIKE-specs.jpg

https://youtu.be/hhjtfZImXj0

On the up side it was great fun driving the AW today.
Hope you had a good time too Rodney. Thanks for your company mate. 8)

Next time we'll get to Launch Day at the start of it with a bit of luck. Just a pity the day got double-booked kinda thing.
But hey you don't get to see an epic fail like that every day do ya? In person. Woah.

On an MR2 note Sandra, the lady on gate duty commented to me that she drove the first NZ new MR2 in New Zealand as she was working for Toyota NZ at the time. She also drove the first 3 litre Supra in NZ, and now she drives a GT86 (pictured). How cool is that?
20210207_151317.jpg
Here's one that took a mo to go but sure did:
Taiaha.png
Taiaha.png (454.66 KiB) Viewed 1914 times

https://youtu.be/Oyoe_KaNoQo

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Speedhog »

No worries on the company Charlie, the twistys made for some good testing on tarmac for Penny(the only road legal AW we have haha).
I'm glad to see that some of the younger generation of car enthusiast's prefer to do legal skids, and have a ball doing it. :D The off ramp at HD reminds me that there are some that don't quite have their heads screwed on properly. :cry:

Nike really went up in smoke.. the rocket launches where really cool to witness in person. Might have to make a trip back again.