Hampton Downs 10 January - Akl and all others welcome.

Events include those run by the Club and those run by others which are of interest to Club Members (e.g. track days). Events may be posted or run by any financial club member but an Area Coordinator or Committee may step in. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership

Moderators: Moderators, Area Coordinators

Forum rules
Events may be posted and run by any financial club member but are subject to moderation by an Area Coordinator or Committee. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership
mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

As far as the tyres go I'm perfectly happy with my Bridgestone RE040 Potenzas, they were great. But the brake pads - ABSOLUTELY MUST have race pads next time!
:shock:

A word of warning too: the big sweeper before the pit straight takes a good 5 seconds or so to get around, and it's all too easy for the oil in your sump to naff off up the left side of your engine and starve the bearings. With nasty consequences... So it's very advisable to either run a dry sump, or baffles in the sump, or maybe even just don't take the sweeper at too high a pace. I was told it's a real problem at Hampton thanks the that last big sweeper.

Here's a few pix, mostly taken by my wife Michelle. Hopefully they help convey a wee bit of the atmosphere of the day...

And thanks to Brendan for bringing his BBQ. Much needed nourishment for the crew!

Pitlane:

Couple of the SW's that turned up (good stuff guys hope you had fun?)

Mel's BBY4RE (below) - I'd say this would have to have been the quickest MR2 on the day at 1 minute 20 seconds for a lap of the club-car circuit? (hope I got that right Mel)

Dunno - how were you other guys doing?

All I know is I must have been the slowest MR2 on the track! :oops:

There was a large mob of Skyline GTRs, another of BMW M3's, another of Lotuses and another of Redline kit cars - the last two being MR2 powered (more or less) so we decided they were honorary MR2's eh... :lol:

Leaving the pitlane...

Despite nasty spongy brakes after just a few laps, and having a heck of a time trying to get a bead on how far to push it on the corners (cos you can't hear the tyres until they're REALLY screaming with a helmet on eh) it was still impossible to wipe that silly grin off my face.

Hey, I'm just a newbie, right...? =)

The track is simply brilliant (with the possible exception of the last sweeper which as a racing corner IS brilliant but is a potential killer for road cars). Here's a view which if you look in the background of the picture gives you some idea of the twisty nature of the track. It has awesome elevation changes too...

Well, anyone else have any more pix or footage?

Thanks to all who came - especially those who came for a gander and didn't get to drive. Good on yas! Cheers. 8)
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Redline
Guest of the Club.
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Melvin S

Post by Redline »

some vids i took

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NujZ-1Hb ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3QO570N ... r_embedded

some more photos will be up to. my card reader is buggered.

BBY4RE
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Melvin

Post by BBY4RE »

Sounds like some of you were baking brakes on Sunday, I just run 1992+ calipers and discs with braided lines and mintex 1166 pads, a cheap setup and it has not failed me yet, even when I'm running more boost than I was on Sunday. I had more fun on 8psi of boost than I ever have on 23psi, anyone can make loads of power and win, using less power and using ever inch of the track to get ahead excites me a little more. Hope everyone else had a great day. looking forward to doing it again.
If anyone needs disc for an mr2 let me know I have a contact for cheap discs!
402.6 r/w kw @ 7,700 rpm
540 r/w nm @ 6673 rpm @23psi

..::ROCKETMAN::..
Guest of the Club.
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Davo

Post by ..::ROCKETMAN::.. »

BBY4RE wrote: If anyone needs disc for an mr2 let me know I have a contact for cheap discs!
What sort of cost would I be looking at for all 4 discs (rotors ?) for an 87 s/c AW11 ? I was once quoted about $1400 to replace them, and all the pads, by Midas. I kept the original discs, and got a mechanic friend to replace all the pads. The discs were right on the limit though, so I guess I'll need to replace them one day.
1987 MR2 SUPERCHARGER (Trafalgar blue, auto, with targas) & a 1997 2.5 litre V6 CAMRY WAGON(Silver, auto, N/A) & a 1991 1.5 litre CYNOS (Green, auto, N/A)

:mrgreen:

http://toyspeed.blakjak.net/profiles/profile.php?id=71 <== click here for profile & pic

*84vvt
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Colin

Post by *84vvt »

..::ROCKETMAN::.. wrote:
BBY4RE wrote: If anyone needs disc for an mr2 let me know I have a contact for cheap discs!
What sort of cost would I be looking at for all 4 discs (rotors ?) for an 87 s/c AW11 ? I was once quoted about $1400 to replace them, and all the pads, by Midas. I kept the original discs, and got a mechanic friend to replace all the pads. The discs were right on the limit though, so I guess I'll need to replace them one day.
Have a chat with these guys
http://www.racebrakes.co.nz/contact.shtml
better still as they are in Auckland
why don't you go see them

351 New North Road
Eden Terrace
Auckland
New Zealand

Ph: 0800 BRAKES ( 272 537 )
International: + 64-9-377 2000
Fax: + 64-9-377 2100

E-mail: [email protected]
Boosted cars are like hot women.
A little edgy, every guy wants one,
some guys can't handle them,
and if you throw a little alcohol in them they'll rock your world.

Instinct
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Rich

Post by Instinct »

Not an MR2, but a good mate used my video cam ti film this 1080P High Def footage. Tronic is in the vid for a few seconds :-)
Using some cool software on a phone to capture telemetry too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq9jDkB2iWw
Richard
MR2 Owners Club - Facebook Page Administrator

2010 Lotus Evora - 300 BHP of toyota powered and tuned V6 goodness! :twisted:
2004 Lotus Elise 111R Touring - Toyota Powered :-) SOLD
2001 MR-S Yamaha 2ZZ-GE Engine Swap - 189BHP / 8400RPM Red line - SOLD

lsvtec
Guest of the Club.

Post by lsvtec »

i also feature in the clip at 7:37! ...crawling out of the kitty litter... :oops:

nice clean last lap there. what are the car details?

Instinct
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Instinct »

lsvtec wrote:i also feature in the clip at 7:37! ...crawling out of the kitty litter... :oops:

nice clean last lap there. what are the car details?
He has a Turbo R33 Skyline running on slicks... He's also stripped out the rear seats and most of the sound proofing in the car.. plus other basic mods. I'll have to get a list from him.
Richard

Instinct
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Instinct »

I've just uploaded 173 photo's to the Playday website. :twisted:

:arrow: http://www.playdayontrack.co.nz/gallery ... p?album=14
Richard

Instinct
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Instinct »

Hi all,

I have created a new 'Playday on Track' FaceBook page.. feel free to 'become a fan' a post your vids and photo's to the Fb site.

Cheers,
Rich
Richard

BBY4RE
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Melvin

Post by BBY4RE »

..::ROCKETMAN::.. wrote:
I would need to get a quote on a set for an aw11 but last time I bought a full set for the BBY4RE it cost me about $300 for all 4 corners. i can also get new pads which I would recommend if your getting new discs fitted. you should be able to fit them yourself otherwise get a couple of quotes as its not much work. about 1-2 hours
402.6 r/w kw @ 7,700 rpm
540 r/w nm @ 6673 rpm @23psi