Waikato Run 1st May 2005

Events include those run by the Club and those run by others which are of interest to Club Members (e.g. track days). Events may be posted or run by any financial club member but an Area Coordinator or Committee may step in. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership

Moderators: Moderators, Area Coordinators

Forum rules
Events may be posted and run by any financial club member but are subject to moderation by an Area Coordinator or Committee. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership
VQwikMR2Driva

Post by VQwikMR2Driva »

My understanding based on what I've witnessed here in the club over the last 18 months is something like this.

If members of another club would like to join in one of our runs, they are welcome of course, provided that they agree to abide by the same code of conduct on the convoy that we use. :D

I would expect to offer the same courtesy as a casual attendee of another clubs run. :)

In the event that the other car club wants to do a combined run, the respective club representatives, like coordinators would usually thrash things out in consultation with their local members. 8)

Does that makes sense?

Anyway, there are people who will be able to point out any of the fine print I've overlooked, but I think that's how it would work well. :wink:

Cheers for now :twisted:

Dennis th'Menace
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Outside of New Zealand
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Dennis

Post by Dennis th'Menace »

Regular forum visitors will have noted that this thread is now much shorter than previously. Some postings have been removed and/or edited to hold this Events thread to the original topic.

All posters affected by this moderating have been advised.

And now, back to Waikato, on the 1st of May - great roads, let's hope the weather cooperates.

Dennis Neagle
member of MR2 Forum Moderator Team

VQwikMR2Driva

Post by VQwikMR2Driva »

As promised, link to wee map of meeting place.

The three red arrows just indicate that you turn into Allison Street off Kahikatea Drive to get onto the grass at the meetin place.

ANy questions, you know what to do...............

http://img258.echo.cx/my.php?image=mr2o ... ymeeti.png

mr2boy_7

Post by mr2boy_7 »

hey Chris

Hows it, hope ur feeling ok after the ute skiding out on ya :D ,hey just a question, one of my mates is interested in going on the run with me is this all good, sorry im all new to this stuff :P :oops: thanks for the map, you doing a good job,

see ya :D

justsomeguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: JSG

Post by justsomeguy »

mr2boy_7 wrote:hey Chris

Hows it, hope ur feeling ok after the ute skiding out on ya :D ,hey just a question, one of my mates is interested in going on the run with me is this all good, sorry im all new to this stuff :P :oops: thanks for the map, you doing a good job,

If it's as a passenger then sure, we accept everybody. If he/she is in another car then you'll need to clear it with Chris, unless it's an MR2. In which case I'll assume they'll be interested in joining us formally...... maybe today or in the future.

VQwikMR2Driva

Post by VQwikMR2Driva »

mr2boy_7 wrote:hey Chris

Other drivers are welcome, provided they are prepared to drive in convoy and abide by the MR2OCNZ code of conduct. :wink:

Next Sunday will be an excellent chance to see one of NZ's most beautful harbours, and it's vast. :wink:

We'll start at the top and work our way south. To avoid gravel there will be some apparent doubling back on ourselves, no choice if you don't want gravel roads ok? :roll:

All be at the meeting place at 9:00am we wil be leaving at 09:30am sharp. :!: :!:

It's a long trip and I'm mindful of giving us all the best day possible. :wink:

If you're going to be late, phone me so I can advise you of rendezvous points. :)

I'll be making the calls to the locals as per usual on Tuesday night. If anyones plans change, please phone me to let me know.

The convoy will not be waiting to leave on Sunday. :!: :!:

Things to bring - A FULL TANK OF GAS, current driver licence, money, cell phone, blanket or rug, camera, drinks, picnic basket or packed lunch, [patience, a sense of humour, and if you haven't got either of those two prerequisites don't worry too much, the rest of us will be enjoying ourselves. :twisted: ]

You'll need patience, because as always when travelling in convoy we have to drive to the conditions including the traffic. If we have a large convoy we have to look after each other. There will be tail end charlies and there will be different people leading the convoy. It is a skill that we all need to develop, and if you haven't done it before you'll quickly appreciate what things you do more than you would do in your normal driving role. :shock:

Later today I'll post a reasonably detailed itinerary, and time and my own limited geek skills permitting, a decent map of the route. 8)

This will be a great drive no matter what the weather. You will see more of the most picturesque parts of this region in a single day than most locals see in a year. :!:

And the good grace of friends permitting, we may get to stand on a mound looking out at the Kawhia harbour from one of the most unique building sites in New Zealand. :D

It is tranquil, beautiful and very very old. :oops: :wink:

I just can't wait to share all this with you guys, it's going to be great. :wink:

Looking forward to seeing you all, :shock:

Cheers for now.

mr2boy_7

Post by mr2boy_7 »

ohhh yea sorry he will be a passenger with me :D

VQwikMR2Driva

Post by VQwikMR2Driva »

mr2boy_7 wrote:ohhh yea sorry he will be a passenger with me :D
ok..... :wink:

VQwikMR2Driva

Post by VQwikMR2Driva »

3/4 of the route has been checked today and it took less than 3 hours. :!:

I took the opportunity to test the ute and took it out along the route for Sunday. :wink:

I took some photos of the sunset as I went, may give you a sneak preview, but then again I may not. 8)

I also took the road we won't be going on. 40km of unsealed roads. Wooohooooo. :D

Did I have fun? - Are you kidding? :lol: :D :shock:

40km of unsealed roads, twisting and turning, dipping and climbing. Blind bends, off camber s's, Ahhhhhhh this is the life, and mostly driven with water in sight. :)

Yahoooo - and guess what - We won't be going that way - LMAO. :lol:

ANyway the route looks great with no road works on the part I checked. :cry:

Later tonight the route plan will be posted and an itinerary for those wishing to catch up along the way, if they can't make the start time. :wink:

Because of the nature of this run, and the fact that we sort of double back on ourselves on the way to the second checkpoint, people have the chance to get there if they are late for some reason. :)

Got to go and eat now, the plan will be up before midnight tonight. :twisted:

Cheers for now.

VQwikMR2Driva

Post by VQwikMR2Driva »

Well here it is for those of you interested. 8)

The link is for the route map.

[img=http://img19.echo.cx/img19/237/routemap1stmay20055vf.th.jpg]

The itinerary is

Meet at 9:00am Sharp
Depart 9:30am Sharp

Travel in convoy on SH23 to Raglan [Approx 45km]

Arrive Raglan 10:00 ish
Coffee stop and look see
Depart Raglan 10:30

Double back down SH23 to Te Pahu Road, shoot down here till it meets up with SH39. [Approx 45km] (We may shoot across to Bridal Veil Falls for a very quick squizz, as primary targets are harbour and beaches)

Arrive Pirongia 11:00
Loo stop and rendezvous
Depart Pirongia 11:20

Head out on SH39 then dive off to Ngutunnui, join up with SH31 [Approx 50km]

Arrive Kawhia 12:00
Lunch & Watering stop
Depart Kawhia 12:45

Head back to Oparau, dive off towards Kinohaka, turn up Te Waitere Road [Approx 25km]

Arrive Te Waitere 13:30
Gawking in awe
Depart Te Waitere 14:00

Back to Kinohaka then head over hills to Marakopa and Kiritehere Beaches [Approx 25km]

Arrive Marakopa 14:30
The last beach for the day
Depart Marakopa 15:00

Take Te Anga Road as far as SH37, SH37 to SH3 [Approx 50km]

Arrive Otorohonga 15:45
Whizz through no stopping here
Depart Otorohonga 15:50

Out the back roads and the southern faces of Pokura [Approx 30km]

Arrive Te Awamutu 16:05
Whizz through no stopping here
Depart Te Awamutu 16:10

Back roads to Ngahinapouri then onto SH39 [Approx 30km]

Arrive Whatawhata 16:30
Coffee Stop, Watering hole
Depart Whatawhata when you're ready to leave. (This final destination is on the back road to Auckland and is only ten minutes from Hamilton and Ngaruawahia)

Overall distance very Approx 300km.
Loo Stops 5
Towns with Petrol at sensible prices 2
Food stops 4

Approx time on the road 4 3/4 hours

Approx time look seeing 2 1/4 hours

It's going to be huge but in bite size bits. Come on over and enjoy the drive, the company and the scenery. It's going to be another great day! :twisted:

Remember, if you're coming from out of town, let me know you're coming beforehand and pass on your phone numbers. That way we can make sure you don't miss rendezvous points. :wink:

Cheers for now :wink:

St_Gabriel
Guest of the Club.

Post by St_Gabriel »

IceMaiden wrote:
VQwikMR2Driva wrote:the plan will be up before midnight tonight.
1.57 am :?:
MY GOD MAN, dont u ever sleep??????

so when was the divorce again? :D

VQwikMR2Driva

Post by VQwikMR2Driva »

St_Gabriel wrote:
IceMaiden wrote:
VQwikMR2Driva wrote:the plan will be up before midnight tonight.
1.57 am :?:
MY GOD MAN, dont u ever sleep??????

so when was the divorce again? :D
Sure, when I've got nothing better to do, or when I've worked myself to a standstill. 8)

Doesn't happen often though.... :wink:

VQwikMR2Driva

Post by VQwikMR2Driva »

Hi everyone, bright eyed and bushy tailed, been working since 6 ish this morning, on a brief break whilst I deal to kids post breakfast on their holidays. :oops: :shock:

On topic Welch!!! :evil: :twisted: :!:

To the locals - phone call night tonight guys. I'll do the ring around thing from about 5:30 ish and keep going till I get aanswer or messsage to you all. :)

To the visitors - please make sure you let me know you are coming tonight. :!:

If you get the answer phone, let me know you're calling about Sunday's run and leave your name and number, I'll call you back. :!:

The reason for this is so I can get you all on my list of rendezvous points and for keeping in contact during the run itself. :wink:

Everybody, print out the map and itinary and the list of things to bring. :!:

Cheers for now

P.S. [he speaks in yorkshire lilt,] I'm all excited like, you know? :twisted: