Moderator: Moderators

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Obituary - Greg Band - Bandasorus

Post by mickeyduck »

Tonight I received news that the flying fossil, Bandasorus - Greg Band of Pauanui, Coromandel, passed away on Sunday 8 June 2014 at Thames hospital, age 79.

Greg is at the extreme left in this photo.
Greg-1.jpg
Greg had been undergoing treatment for ticker trouble (as he put it) and had called me several times telling me how he was the luckiest so and so around to still be alive and kicking. And to apologise for not making a run of late because of it...! As if any apology was necessary...!!! :shock: Good heavens!

The dear old coot made a huge impression on all of us who met him. A simply lovely bloke with a wonderful sense of humour and a twinkle in his eye. He astounded us with his ability to keep in touch on runs despite his senior years and was always keen to share his auto-electrical know-how and what-not if he felt it might benefit others. Cos that's just the kind of kind-natured fella he was. A true old-school gentleman.

I am honoured to have made his acquaintance, and delighted to have been in his company.

Some folk try to take joy from your life. They're no use to anyone. The more valuable kind impart a healthy dose of goodness to it, and Greg was most certainly one of them.

Ironic that someone with such a big heart would pass away with "ticker trouble". :cry:

My sincere condolences to his lovely wife June, who with Greg played host to us on our run to the Coromandel and saw to it that we had a lovely afternoon.

My son Isaac has employed Greg's tip of using Brasso to polish his SW tail lights and I must say the results are SWeet...! We will remember Greg and our visit to his home in the Coromandel whenever we use that gem, for many a year to come.

Here's Greg at his home in Pauanui, his immaculately restored SW in the driveway.
Greg-2.jpg
Greg-2.jpg (428.04 KiB) Viewed 6039 times
http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php? ... 8&start=57" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's to Greg. Bandasorus, the flying fossil.

We were privileged to have had him accompany us on a number of runs. Here's a wee sample:
Greg-3.jpg
Greg-3.jpg (173.14 KiB) Viewed 6039 times
http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php? ... rus#p94972" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Greg-4.JPG
Greg-4.JPG (147.42 KiB) Viewed 6039 times
http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php? ... rus#p91944" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Greg-5.JPG
Greg-5.JPG (133.51 KiB) Viewed 6039 times
http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php? ... s&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Greg wasn't afraid of a little danger. Things that were crazy quick, likely to go wrong in a BIG way didn't phase him. He even came on a Rocket Run...
Greg-6.JPG
Greg-6.JPG (126.42 KiB) Viewed 6039 times
http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php? ... rus#p86968" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And on the Rampage to Raglan.
Greg-7.jpg
Greg-7.jpg (571.61 KiB) Viewed 6037 times
http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php? ... 5&start=12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He was there for us whatever the weather. No fine-weather friend, this chap! Solid through and through.
Greg-8.jpg
Greg-8.jpg (71.32 KiB) Viewed 6037 times
And if I'm ever so fortunate as to reach his advanced years, I'll be utterly stoked if I can still drive an MR2 as fast as he could. Hats off to ya, Bandy...! Legend. :mrgreen:

#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

CJ
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: CJ

Re: Bandasorus

Post by CJ »

Very sad to hear that Greg has left us. A very level headed person who I got on really well with. I went out to his place twice over a couple of years. It was a big goal of his to have the corromandel run involving his town. Im so glad that we managed to pull that off before his time came. Greg had a lot of knowledge with his auto electrical past. Lots of little tricks that he had managed to pick up through trial and error over the years. Greg really loved his project MR2. He spent a LOT of time and money restoring his Gen 1 and anyone who saw it in person would have sworn it had never left the showroom.
My condolences to June, his wife and their children/grand children.

Rest easy buddy.
Chris and Chantelle.

fourwalls
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Paul

Post by fourwalls »

Greg will be sadly missed , a true gentleman with drive and spirit. His Mr2 is a labour of love. Happy to have spent time with him and shared his experiences and knowledge .
Having spent a few hour behind him on runs , he put a few of us to shame with his driving.

Rest in peace
Paul Andrews
red sdubs may go faster but the yellow ones got a nut in it.
1990 SW20 ltd targa
2007 Toyota Blade
2021 Ford Focus

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

PM'd to me, figured Chewy wouldn't mind if I post it here:
chewbaby wrote:Read about Greg tonight and remember him as a neat guy. His wife was very nice to me when we visited and i hope she is well. I was saddened to read the news and decided to just get in the Two and go for a drive around for a while. Cold as outside tonight but driving about i remembered him and his beaut car.......RIP Chewy
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted: