Moderator: Moderators

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

REFRESH YOUR BROWSER

Post by mickeyduck »

If you're reading this you are looking at an old and now defunct copy of the forum.

The forum has moved to a new server and this one is now obsolete and locked.

Please clear your web browser's cache (or quit it altogether) and refresh this page.

If that still doesn't work, perhaps reboot your computer and try again?

Thank you.
:mrgreen:
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Re: REFRESH YOUR BROWSER

Post by mickeyduck »

OK that was not cool...

I apologise for a few days of lost posts but after what I've been through I'm not sure I trust the backups anayway. If they are corrupted that would stick with the thing forever and a flakey forum we don't need... Anyway, to explain:

Made the decision to migrate to the cloud because my old (8 year old) Mac here at home is getting a bit long in the tooth. I'm trying to safeguard this club and its forum see...

Problem is I had drastically underestimated the resource this forum consumes from the looks of it.

A cloud server that costs me about $100 a month (including bandwidth) is in fact way way way too small to accommodate the club's forum, it seems.

Just crashed and burned. Several times over...

I know from my experiences at work that a server of similar grunt to the one I have at home here, costs about $1,000 a month if it's cloud based.

Long story short my attempt at setting the forum up on the cloud seems to have been a big fat whoops. So it's hosted here at home again. Which I'm not at all happy about any more cos this old Mac will fall over one day.

Meh. :(

That was a total waste of my Christmas holidays.

Time for dinner.

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Well nice try Charlie and Im sorry it didn't work out the way you planned. Time to take a break and have a re-think. Maybe someone else has an idea?
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

I believe it'd work fine if I doubled the size of the VM on Rackspace but that doubles the price and I don't want to go there at this point.

I'll try a few things and see what I can do...

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Yep my suspicions were correct:
http://www.rackspace.com/knowledge_cent ... ud-servers :roll:
Bunch of a-holes. Without a swap file you'd suffer crashes and have to buy a bigger more powerful VM instance. :evil:

OK, time for remedial measures... :twisted:
I haven't played with a Linux swap file in 15 years but here goes... :wink: