Total votes: 10

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Re: Webmaster's Blog

Post by Benckj »

First though we need to settle on AC regions which can remain fixed forever and aren't dependent on ACs. (Tui...)

I bet that explanation don't help at all...
It helps us understand what a good job you are doing dealing with the hassels of web administartion. Most of us can just live with any fixes or developments you can implement even if it does mean a losss of previous data or functions. Got to break a few eggs to make an omlette eh Charlie?
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

FRNKN2
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Chris

Post by FRNKN2 »

Whats new this month team?

When are we getting the website in 3D Charlie, thats all the rage atm!

The wheeling/dealing and rides sections are coming along nicely.
Well done to those involved in shuffling stuff around, good job.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

OK yesterday afternoon I finally managed to get this thing migrated back here to NZ, off the US servers.

I think we should notice a decent boost in speed for starters. Plus I am now able to install mods a great deal easier as being able to back p and restore the thing real easy is finally an option...

The first thing I've done is added a wee toolbar so you can share forum pages with mates on Facebook, Twitter etc.

And the next thing I've done is added the ability of paid-up Members to upload images etc directly to the forum instead of having the arduous process of putting them on someone else's server first (although that is still an option too if preferred).

You can even attach things like Word docs to a PM or in the forum now...

Anyway, more to come. :D
HeadBanger.gif
HeadBanger.gif (260.84 KiB) Viewed 2361 times
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Once I was able to log in and get back on-line it's looking and working very well from my perspective, good job. Wonder if there are countless others who cannot gain access. Possible to flick a generic email around to all users on status and requirement with link to log back in?

PS:I especially like your new hangbanger.gif signature.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

MoNk
Guest of the Club.
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: J

Post by MoNk »

I'm back to the old not saving login/pass issue. Anybody else?
Jonathan.
1996 GLimited

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

I'm back to the old not saving login/pass issue. Anybody else?
yep, me too. Started out OK then reverted back to not wanting to remeber me. Who wants to email Charlie?
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Rabid
Guest of the Club.
First name: Gary

Post by Rabid »

Me too, but im sure it wont be a problem for long.

The loading speed is heaps better :D
Gary Whitehead

90 TTop Turbo,
89 Hard top S/C, 87 TTop S/C

princessSW20
Guest of the Club.
First name: RUTH

Post by princessSW20 »

me :( toooooooooo

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

If it's any consolation guys it's doing the same to me. Grrr...

I'm sure it has to be a cookie thing. I'm clearing my cookies again and see what happens. Sorry about this...

Jim, I did send a mass email to every registered forum bod alerting them to the move, so while I might not have anticipated this particular problem I'm sure they are all onto the idea that we're undergoing a transition. I'm not seeing any reduction of folk using the forum if that's any reassurance mate. I just need to figure out the auto-login bizzo...

Hopefully clearing your cookies will fix it. Maybe I need to generate a new one on the server or something... Or maybe I've missed a setting in the BB's config someplace. Will investigate. Hang in there folks.

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

OK I've had a squizz...

The setting to allow the board to remember folk was ok:
Picture 2.png
Picture 2.png (12.75 KiB) Viewed 2335 times
So it seems to me that the move may have got people's cookies upset. Rather than trying to explain to everyone how to delete their cookies (out of each and every variation of each version of browser) I've decided to simply change the cookie at the server end of things.

The new cookie is called "mr2ocnz_forum":
Picture 3.png
Picture 3.png (5.91 KiB) Viewed 2335 times
Thus everyone will need to tick the "remember me" checkbox (again) but this time it should remember us...

Bloomin' better....!!! :evil:

PM me please to let me know how it pans out (I get way too many emails each day already).

MoNk
Guest of the Club.
First name: J

Post by MoNk »

Yes that worked. Thanks :)

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

I also found the time was wrong so I've adjusted things for daylight saving. PM and posts should now be showing correct time... Actually looking at this post, maybe not. :?: :?: :?:

OK I'm gonna kill this web browsing session and start again, see what gives. Groan...

We'll get there yet. :roll:

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Right then, time for a wee update.

I've found the "persistent Logins" issue an utter P.I.T.A. but I THINK I have finally sorted it.

You will need to log in and tick the wee checkbox to tell it to keep you logged in - but as far as I can tell, if you now quit your web browser while logged in it should actually auto-log you in next time you go to the forum. Mine finally seem to be working ok anyway so I'll be interested to see how everyone gets on.

Also - the cookie that helps do this is tied to the domain mr2.org.nz so if you find it isn't working, take a look at the address of the forum up in your address bar. If it says http://www.mr2.org.nz/phpbb3 (etc) get rid of the www. part so it reads http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3 then do the login thing. Also, make sure your bookmarks for the forum don't have the www. in them.

I'll try to suss how to set up a redirect in Apache to send any www. URLs to the real deal instead (easy done in IIS but I'm still learning Apache).

I've been fiddling with the image upload mod as well as I discovered it was making thumbnails and they'd load inside a frame with scroll bars. Ugly. So tweaked the settings and it seems ok now. By default it will show u pic at up to 800 pixels wide or high (so they display ok in the forum) and if you click on the image it'll open up to its actual full size (up to 1600 pixels wide or high permitted). If you are a financial member you can upload pics up to 1600 pixels and the BB will sort out resizing etc.

I also put in place a mod which allows you to search within PMs. Worked real well, but a week later I discovered it had broken the ability to delete, move or flag PMs. Grrrrr. So I will see if I can fix it and if so it'll be a very useful function.

I have a list of mods I'm hoping to implement, but it's one of those arduous processes of implementation, testing, tweaking etc to get them sorted.

Anyway - onwards and upwards.

I'm always interested in ideas or affers of assistance. Although accepting help first requires I set up another development environment for folk to play in, as well as segregating admin rights etc... Might make it one of my priorities this holidays. :idea:

I need to start a generally visible thread outlining the functionalities availaable on the forum and what extra stuff you get for paid membership. Just want to get as many extras installed first so it looks good. We'll get there.

Dennis th'Menace
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Outside of New Zealand
First name: Dennis

Post by Dennis th'Menace »

Charlie, it's a HUGE job you've taken on - and you are doing a great job. While you've got your head down and working on it over the holidays don't forget to enjoy Christmas!
Dennis Neagle
President, MR2 Owners Club, Qld

"There is a fine line between Hobby and Obsession"

Jock
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Northland
First name: Jock

Post by Jock »

Hi Charlie
Probably got the wrong thread to raise the issue but do we have a Northland co-ordinator, I dont know if John is still active ?. Let me know maybe I can help out. Cheers Jock
Jock Dickson
92 MR2 - GTS, mobile project
BMW X5
VS1400 Suzi