Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 10

scottyj
Guest of the Club.

Post by scottyj »

Just dropped in to have a look at the site for the first time in ages and it's looking great. A huge improvement over the old dated green layout. Keep up the good work.
And a quick hello to all the ChCh members, hope you're all well.
Scott Johnston.
Perth W.A.
No longer an MR2 Owner.

warrenb

Post by warrenb »

Do like the new website, good job.
Any way we can keep being logged in when arriving at the forums instead of having to login every visit? Used to be able to do it with the old site, but cant now :(

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Any way we can keep being logged in when arriving at the forums instead of having to login every visit? Used to be able to do it with the old site, but cant now
Should do as its still the same. Last time I had a problem like that I had to clear the cookies on my browser settings then I was all go.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

warrenb

Post by warrenb »

lol its gone to having to login every time after cleaning the system history and removing cookies...very weird.

MoNk
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: J

Post by MoNk »

Someone looking at sifty stuff between your computer use and wiping history + cookies? :P
Jonathan.
1996 GLimited

warrenb

Post by warrenb »

lol not likely after what you witnessed when i was round there last matey lol.
Regular maintenance.

on the old login page there was a check box for keep me logged in or something similar, but now not

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

Hmmm... seems a bit odd as all I've done is disabled the munted old templates and made this pretty-much bog standard one it. I'll take a look and see what I can find...
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

NUTS!

Looks to me as if the code is there ok but it refuses to show up in the page.

<td colspan="2"><span class="gen">{L_AUTO_LOGIN}: <input type="checkbox" name="autologin"/></span></td>

This old version of phpBB is a bit sad guys. Sorry.

I think basically I just need to really focus now on upgrading this forum to phpBB3. If I can achieve that, there's a LOT of other cool things we'll be able to do anyway.

In the meantime, maybe you can convince your web browser to "remember this password" etc. That comes down to the settings in whatever web browser you are using. (where the settings are varies greatly depending on what browser you are using) Though personally I NEVER allow my browser to remember any of my passwords...

Cheers. #8^)

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

SUSSED IT

Managed to upgrade the forum to the latest version of phpBB, here at home.

HUGE benefits.

So I'm going to lock the forum tomorrow morning and deal to the real thing.

Should be all done by lunchtime with a bit of luck.
(which is when most of you will be crawling outta bed no doubt =)

The only bit that might not pull through is the Garage, but I can tackle that separately if necessary...

Mu ha ha...! :twisted:

mista2
Guest of the Club.

Post by mista2 »

methy sw20gt wrote:there already is rules on this
"Signatures

Signatures may contain up to five lines (one line being that displayed on a browser opened to 800px width) of text (of small or normal size)
Text sizes should be between 9 and 12 (small and normal). Text in signatures is subject to the same conditions as posts with respect decency, warez, emoticons, etc.
Please try to keep any images in your signature to 800x160pixels or less.

Links are permitted in signatures. Such links may be made to non-MR2 material, commercial ventures, etc. Links are included within the text limits above. Links to offensive sites may be subject to removal. "

They are loosley enforced here as it isnt really too much of an issue
my signature image could be nearly twice the size it is now and still be within the forum rules, just so you know
i might play around with restructuring it so it has the same info just on less lines
If someone's SIG is annoying you, you can block that individuals images by clicking on the Image button at the bottom of their post. It will hide their SIG and avatar.
John Howell
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Chromeronin
Or visit my BLOG: http://nzhomegeek.wordpress.com

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Yeah, signatures are the least of our troubles though eh John. Let's keep this thread on track too please mate. I'm sure you can appreciate what a waste of time certain things can get to be?

Just tried deploying an upgraded forum only to find the WCN servers are not configured to handle it. Reinstatement of a database of the size of that powering our forum is not within their limits. Which implies it's well and truly time to bug out. If I had to reinstate the forum from a backup their servers would disallow it. Fat lot of use that is... We shouldn't even be there if that's the case. Their hosting environment has basically just failed a fundamental test regards assurance of service.

And I can't imagine they'd be interested in upping the limits considering their whole shooting match is heading for the precipice anyway.

Now that I know I can upgrade the forum successfully my next pressing mission will be to relocate us to a new hosting provider.

Plenty of cheap hosting in the USA, it's overpriced to hell here in Godzone.

I'll build a new Linux box as a "plan B" just in case...

Seems that Saturdays are when very few folk post to the forum, so I'll likely migrate us elsewhere on a Saturday.

Cheers folks.

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

That's very cool, but I agree, sounds like the USA might be better for hosting the website. Sounds like the WCN servers are getting a bit old and cruddy.

The linux box as a "plan B" is better than no second plan at all. I love linux, it makes up 50% of my current machine (Ubuntu 9.10, other half is Windows 7 Ultimate), with added 64 bit goodness.

I reckon your doing an awesome job, and I love the progress that's going on behind the scenes.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

mista2
Guest of the Club.

Post by mista2 »

JasonFriday13 wrote:That's very cool, but I agree, sounds like the USA might be better for hosting the website. Sounds like the WCN servers are getting a bit old and cruddy.

The linux box as a "plan B" is better than no second plan at all. I love linux, it makes up 50% of my current machine (Ubuntu 9.10, other half is Windows 7 Ultimate), with added 64 bit goodness.

I reckon your doing an awesome job, and I love the progress that's going on behind the scenes.
If you run your on srver,you have to be responsible for securing it 8)
I had a godaddy account for about $5 month I think it was with 20GB bandwith on a linux shared hosted server. The only thing you have to watch out for it the continual bombardment to up the services to more paid stuff.
Last edited by mista2 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
John Howell
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Chromeronin
Or visit my BLOG: http://nzhomegeek.wordpress.com

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Been running my own servers for some time now John, more concerned with the security of other folks' servers frankly. It's difficult to feel comfortable being responsible for a system that wasn't put together by yourself eh... I'm sure you can understand that too.

There's plenty of cheap hosting in the US and we may well use it yet mate. Be nice to find something cost effective here instead though. Hosting things myself is only a plan B if needs be.

Cheers mate. =)

MRtoo
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kelvin

Email Notifications

Post by MRtoo »

I seem to no longer receive email notification alerting new posts in watched topics... does anyone else have this issue or maybe this is a problem with Yahoo to which my email notifications are being sent to?
Kelvin