Total votes: 10

baldockboy
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Paul

Re: Webmaster's Blog

Post by baldockboy »

Now really! we all know Gary has airbrushed his photo whereas my photo is lifelike !!!!!!!
Paul & Hilary
93 T/top auto
(MobilityscooteR2)
A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

LMAO! Brilliant! :lol: :lol: :lol:
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

MoNk
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: J

Post by MoNk »

Do you think that max hotlink/img size could change?
1024 wide is a bit small. :> Especially with all the wide screens about.
Jonathan.
1996 GLimited

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Hmmm....

I set it to that mainly because larger images make for rather slow page loads if there's a lot of pics on a page. I think we still need to ensure page load times don't get too horrible. Especially when we have images hosted on 3rd party servers that aren't all that fast on occasion... If I could host all the images on our own server that'd prevent the slow load of images hosted on slow servers, except I'd need to actually host the site on my own server in a place I can get at it so that I could properly back up the inevitably much larger dose of stuff...

A simple change like upping the res can have some heavy repercussions eh Jonathan... :?

I'll bear it in mind and see if I can get things heading in that direction mate, but frankly I don't have an awful lot of money to play with for starters. Maybe if the 9 out of 10 forum users who aren't members actually joined, we could do some more serious stuff for the club... which is another angle I'm trying to work on... how to extract the reddies from all those folk...

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

bingslayer
Guest of the Club.
First name: Calvin

Post by bingslayer »

I thought I would put in a suggestion with regards to the garage.

To me the old garage seemed a bit distant and users wouldnt really notice if a new pic was added.

IMO it would be better if there was a strictly on-topic "members rides" section ON the forum. Its out of my hands as to wether it would be a members or a users section but it could be another ploy to encourage users to pay up :)

92 SW20 G-ltd

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Ah hah! (index finger pointing skyward).

Stay tuned my friend. Brainwaves in sync, and works in progress...

Mu ha ha...! :twisted: :idea: :!:

MoNk
Guest of the Club.

Post by MoNk »

I was thinking that last night too. Work-log forums would be quite cool.
This goes in line with other work-log forums and people can generally copy+paste that content in to here.
Jonathan.
1996 GLimited

scottyj
Guest of the Club.

Post by scottyj »

I just jumped on the forum for the first time in ages and wanted to say that it's looking fantastic. Well done team.
Scott Johnston.
Perth W.A.
No longer an MR2 Owner.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Ha ha! Cheers mate. Got a LOT to do yet...

FRNKN2
Guest of the Club.
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Chris

Post by FRNKN2 »

bingslayer wrote:I thought I would put in a suggestion with regards to the garage.

To me the old garage seemed a bit distant and users wouldnt really notice if a new pic was added.

IMO it would be better if there was a strictly on-topic "members rides" section ON the forum. Its out of my hands as to wether it would be a members or a users section but it could be another ploy to encourage users to pay up :)
I like the idea of user build ups as per on other forums because of some really good ones on here with people painting their SW20s and putting crazy motors in ZZWs etc.
I'd like the AW/SW/ZZW sections to be just for queries/questions/trouble shooting for each shape but to have a User builds section (members only or not) for anyone doing anything to anyone of the differnt shapes.
Maybe you could have a section where only the original poster can update so you can read the whole thing from start to finish without the usual distractions and sub conversations.
Or one where other forum users can comment or lend a hand/add advice etc.

;-)

scottyj
Guest of the Club.

Post by scottyj »

Maybe you could have a section where only the original poster can update so you can read the whole thing from start to finish without the usual distractions and sub conversations.
Or one where other forum users can comment or lend a hand/add advice etc.
On Toyspeed they have a similar setup.

There is a dedicated Members' Rides sub forum where users can start and maintain build diaries. No one else is allowed to comment in the build thread and it's heavily moderated to make sure no one does.

Then there is a seperate sub forum which is a dedicated build discussion thread so people can start a thread to discuss ideas ask questions etc about any of the project threads.
Scott Johnston.
Perth W.A.
No longer an MR2 Owner.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

I installed a mod to achieve all this a couple of weeks back and it broke my copy of the forum here at home, so I need to roll it back and try again... Grrr... Consider it a work in progress fellas. And please keep those ideas coming. Good stuff. 8)

MoNk
Guest of the Club.

Post by MoNk »

I'm getting a few server not found errors while connecting over the last few days. Only happens the first 1-2 times, then connects okay. It does this from home (telecom) and work (snap backbone).

Another thing: This thread is the only thread I get reply notifications from. Very weird.
Jonathan.
1996 GLimited

MRtoo
Guest of the Club.
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kelvin

Post by MRtoo »

MoNk wrote:Another thing: This thread is the only thread I get reply notifications from.
Same for me.
Kelvin

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Yeah the mini-outages are pissing me off. I think the problem is hosting in the USA, their maintenance times (backups etc) are our busy time. I'm thinking I might need to throw together something a bit more local yet. Grrr...

As for topic reply notifications - dunno guys I seem to get a lot myself... Though I have got in a habit of just leaving a thread up in its own tab in my browser while interested in it... Has anyone tried using the bookmark functionality of BB3...? I wonder if it could be used in similar fashion - I must try it some time.

Just getting a bit too busy with the Road 2 Roam etc of late, is all eh. We'll get there...