TNR's AW11 (Finally!)

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Re: TNR's AW11 (Finally!)

Post by GDII »

flying_wedge wrote:
GDII wrote:Reverse light switch. Tells the reverse light circuit to come on when you put it in reverse if the name isn't clear. :wink:
It's never been plugged in with any AW11 I've had, but reverse lights have always worked ok. Odd?
Maybe it's not then. I know very little about AW11s but it just seemed logical that it's what it is in the position it's in. My Corolla and Starlet both have wires coming from there for that purpose.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

TNR
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: TNR

Post by TNR »

Hmm.. I did a bit of researching and it seems it is the back up switch. I tried searching before using part diagrams but was looking in the wrong section.

Its Toyota part number is: 84210-60021

GDII

Post by GDII »

TNR wrote:Hmm.. I did a bit of researching and it seems it is the back up switch. I tried searching before using part diagrams but was looking in the wrong section.

Its Toyota part number is: 84210-60021
Yeah it's under 8401 Switch Relay Computer as it's an electronic switch.

Curious to know how flying_wedge got his reverse lights working without this plugged in.

TNR
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by TNR »

I thought I better check the ITB adapter to make sure it actually fit. It seemed to not fit initially but then I realized it was just the vacuum barb touching the coolant pipe, this can simply be solved by removing the barb, fitting the adapter and then re-fitting the barb through the gap between the coolant pipe and engine block.

Anyway back to work, this time I did the clutch salve cylinder bracket. No pictures of the entire disassembly or cleaning etc, getting a little bored of this painting business:

The slave cylinder is located in a kind of unpleasant area, so I decided to rebuild it in hopes of not having to do it later on when access is restricted:

A little compressed air easily pushes the piston out:

Used Vs. new... glad I decided to do this:

New piston in:

Finished cylinder:

Alright so at this point I was tired of seeing the transmission looking so dirty so thought I would deal with it next. This is how it looked when I got it:

In the progress of being cleaned up:

That's not water by the way, its a bit of trans fluid which came out while tilting the box.

This part really was no fun:

Looking a little cleaner:

Again I kind of forgot to take pictures after getting busy with this, however, once it was all clean I used some etch primer on it:

Painted black:

Ok next it was time to remove the axles which I had been putting off for a long time. I had never removed axles before and thought they would be a nightmare for some reason, they were actually pretty easy.

As suspected the auto and manual axles seem to be identical (bottom one is my original one, middle one is the one I got with manual swap):

Also time to drain the oil and disconnect all the engine and trans oil coolers:

Head gasket for sure:

So as you can probably guess this is all leading towards removing the engine. I went down to the garage today expecting to do one or two small jobs.. ended up dropping the engine, I suppose it was going to happen one day soon. I had gradually been removing all the accessories/wiring etc. so there wasn't one single big load of work.

Soon to be out:

I know its a shitty situation having the crane up near a wall like this, had I known it could only work in this position I would have tried to move the car earlier. The reason it doesnt work from behind is because the transmission touches the cranes leg.

Because of the location of the diff and the engine lift points it kind of went down a bit crooked:

And well that is all I have. At the moment the engine is resting on the ground still partially in the engine bay, I'll get better pics tomorrow but chances are I won't be able to actually get the engine out from under the car until sometime later.

Oh, I got something nice in the mail:

Again it was too hard to wait so I installed the shift cables even though it would have been 10x easier with the engine out of the way:

It feels so right having a manual shifter in there rather then the auto:

GDII

Post by GDII »

BLAAAAACK!!

Looking good. The paint should protect everything from oxidation.

Love the shift knob. Very clean. Glad you think manual is the way to go. I couldn't stand driving an auto in a car like this, I need the control and direct feel. I hope you get some enjoyment out of the car once you get the new engine in and finish up the manual swap. I would hate to see all this hard work done and no fun at the end if you can't drive it. Although I do like working on cars just as much as I do driving them.

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: James

Post by Swampy »

Awesome! Did you get the old engine out and new one in just by yourself?

And you have a good looking knob!! :lol:
In the shed: 91 MR2 G-Limited, 95 Subaru Impreza WRX
In the front of the shed: 95 Corolla
In the driveway: 00 Subaru Legacy Lancaster
In the rear view: 87 Honda Prelude, 94 Nissan Serena, 04 Swift
~ 4 Runs ~

TNR
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by TNR »

GDII wrote:BLAAAAACK!!

Looking good. The paint should protect everything from oxidation.

Love the shift knob. Very clean. Glad you think manual is the way to go. I couldn't stand driving an auto in a car like this, I need the control and direct feel. I hope you get some enjoyment out of the car once you get the new engine in and finish up the manual swap. I would hate to see all this hard work done and no fun at the end if you can't drive it. Although I do like working on cars just as much as I do driving them.
Ha the black was just an idea from some other builds I had seen recently. Hopefully it gives the look of a tidier engine bay since it should blend in with all the other black pipes and hoses, but we will see.
I definitely want to get a lot of use out of it. I know what you mean though, a lot of projects don't get used after completion. This is kind of the reason why I wanted to keep it mostly stock without anything too crazy, I think drive-ability makes a big difference for a road car.

TNR
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by TNR »

Swampy wrote:Awesome! Did you get the old engine out and new one in just by yourself?

And you have a good looking knob!! :lol:
Thanks for the compliment :s, lol.

Actually I haven't gotten the new engine in yet so a lot of work to be done. At the moment the old one is still sitting on the ground waiting to be pulled out from under the car. I did it all my self apart from a little help from my dad. He came down to the garage to see what I was doing and ended up helping me guide the engine down since it was kind of snagging on a mount a little.

Here is how it sits at the moment:

TNR
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by TNR »

Okay found some more time today to work on removing the engine.

Excuse the pics, sometimes phone lens gets dirty.

Was surprisingly easy to drag out.

TNR
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by TNR »

I've been disassembling the old engine and cleaning up parts which I will be reusing.

Coolant hoses removed:

Coolant passages full of shit:

Bolts on the front water neck mount were pretty rusty and the top one sheared in half:

Autobox removed:

Sump removed (will be reused as new engine didn't come with one):

Some kind of plastic and RTV shit caught on the oil pickup strainer, wonder how much got past (previous owners mechanic didn't do a nice job of re sealing the oil pan, overused RTV):

Obviously water in the oil from head gasket failure:

Removing cams:

Head removed:

Block:

Hone marks still seem good:

Head gasket failed on cyl 4:

Alright that's it for the old engine, for now. After this I started cleaning up parts that I will be reusing.

Alternator was pretty dirty, no money atm to rebuild it but it was working fine so will just get a clean for now:

Starter also, sorry for terrible pic:

Re finishing spark cover:

Refinishing valve covers:

Casting lines don't look so nice, so I sanded them off:

High heat primer:

My method for curing paint overnight:

Spraying red:

Okay valve covers done.
I broke the engine bay temp sensor removing the engine:

So I went to the junkyard to find a replacement:

Also my valve cover washers/seals were really worn:

Replacements are used and not perfect but a lot better:

Also found a facelift strut bar:

I felt like test fitting the valve covers and ITB's together, but first I got replacement screws for the ITB's. They originally use a phillips head which easily get ****ed upon removal, so I bought screws with hex heads:

Fitted inc. throttle linkage:

Anyway that's it for now, progress is a little slow. A lot of weird shit happening to me recently, run of back luck etc..

GDII

Post by GDII »

Good work getting all the bits cleaned up. Love the last picture. The valve covers look great in red.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

Yeah that's coming along real nice alright. Can't wait to see it on a run. :mrgreen:
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kris

Post by Statek »

Nice work mate, 50 points for dedication :shock:
That is looking really, really tidy!
1986 Toyota MR2 AW11 20v ST - SOLD

TNR
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by TNR »

Thanks guys, appreciate it. It'll be nice to go on a run with it, I was planning to.. and then it overheated.

I have two more pics I took last night which I'll share, since everyone loves ITB's:

At the moment I'm trying to get all the various O-rings and gaskets for all the coolant fittings.

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

Looks really nice