GDII's 1990 G-Limited

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Levi

Re: GDII's 1990 G-Limited

Post by 4CylinderSpecial »

I've tried a bit of plastidip on a bit of the front side trim, but it isn't glossy enough to pull it off, unfortunately. I've got a few scratches on the passenger door that I've been trying to get out, tried turtle wax scratch remover but nada. So will give meguairs a crack. I used Turtlewax rinse free wash and that tended to leave no water spots, but I have definitely found that using just a wash then applying wax is the best way to go.

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

'Tyreshine' works great on the mouldings and other black plastic/rubber parts on car including interior. Can get on sale at SC for about $2/can.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

I put black vinyl over my side stripes as mine were faded and patchy. Works quite well, just takes a bit of time and effort with a sharp scalpel to get the edges nice.

I've got a few deeper scratches that I can't get out and with the thickness of my paint I don't want to try. Also, doing a car by hand with a clear coat is very very hard. The soft paint on the early MR2s is a lot easier. Machines only with clear coats or hard paint.
Benckj wrote:'Tyreshine' works great on the mouldings and other black plastic/rubber parts on car including interior. Can get on sale at SC for about $2/can.
I used to use that for most black exterior parts, still use it on the black rear light trim and front window cowl but I found it lasts 2 days and also collects dirt far too easily.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

ToyMonsta
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Hugh

Post by ToyMonsta »

4CylinderSpecial wrote:
GDII wrote: For the black trims around the car I use CRC tire shine. I have put black vinyl over the black stripe around the car due to it being very faded and impossible to get back to factory condition without buying new ones.
My window trim was pretty badly sunfaded, but I found that using plastidip has worked very well in making it appear new again, especially since it has a rubber texture similar to the trim. I'll be picking up some of that meguiars ultimate compound soon, I didn't know about the was & wax though :!: I've always had a few water spots that bug the hell outta me. The ceramic paint protection sounds cool, but judging from their clientele it'd probably be cheaper to wrap or dip the car than It'd be to get the protection.
I can get the ceramic and apply it, if you were in chch.
I would usually charge arround $1K that's including a 3 stage paint correction before application.
My work charges arround $1,600 per application.
1990 MR2 GT Rev 1 (Garaged Gem) 191,000 KMs (Rebuilding Engine Now)

ToyMonsta
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by ToyMonsta »

Benckj wrote:'Tyreshine' works great on the mouldings and other black plastic/rubber parts on car including interior. Can get on sale at SC for about $2/can.
I would be using Auto Glym Plastic and Rubber solution to get a long lasting and deep black effect.
tyre shine is just too week.

ToyMonsta
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by ToyMonsta »

GDII wrote:A few shots taken by a mate prior to the June 5th run.

Very nice shots of your MR 2 :-)

GDII

Post by GDII »

ToyMonsta wrote:
4CylinderSpecial wrote:
GDII wrote: For the black trims around the car I use CRC tire shine. I have put black vinyl over the black stripe around the car due to it being very faded and impossible to get back to factory condition without buying new ones.
My window trim was pretty badly sunfaded, but I found that using plastidip has worked very well in making it appear new again, especially since it has a rubber texture similar to the trim. I'll be picking up some of that meguiars ultimate compound soon, I didn't know about the was & wax though :!: I've always had a few water spots that bug the hell outta me. The ceramic paint protection sounds cool, but judging from their clientele it'd probably be cheaper to wrap or dip the car than It'd be to get the protection.
I can get the ceramic and apply it, if you were in chch.
I would usually charge arround $1K that's including a 3 stage paint correction before application.
My work charges arround $1,600 per application.
Thanks for the offer but the paint on this car isn't in the right condition to apply a permanent thing like that. Only after a proper respray and getting the paint perfectly flat would I even think about something like this. It's cool to know there is something out there like this though.

ToyMonsta
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by ToyMonsta »

4CylinderSpecial wrote:I've tried a bit of plastidip on a bit of the front side trim, but it isn't glossy enough to pull it off, unfortunately. I've got a few scratches on the passenger door that I've been trying to get out, tried turtle wax scratch remover but nada. So will give meguairs a crack. I used Turtlewax rinse free wash and that tended to leave no water spots, but I have definitely found that using just a wash then applying wax is the best way to go.
If you have some deep scratches I would recommend using 3000 grit wet & dry sand paper, apply water to the serface using a spray bottle (like a empty multi purpose spray bottle).
have the sand paper soke in a bucket of cold water then wrap it over a sanding sponge block.
rub the paper over the scratch lightly until a white paste forms then wipe clean (make sure no grit is on the sand paper or paint surface before repeating)... buff the area until the shine has come back... rinse and repeat until you're happy with the result.

GDII

Post by GDII »

True. That's a good way to fix up some stuff. What I really want to fix is the clear coat someone sprayed on the right quarter panel and drivers door. It's pink but hard to get off. It sometimes peals off but I think it needs sanding off to remove it. the paint under it is perfectly fine so not sure why it was painted. I suspect it was done to try blend in the bumper when it was painted but its only on the drivers side, nothing on the passenger side.

ToyMonsta
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by ToyMonsta »

GDII wrote:True. That's a good way to fix up some stuff. What I really want to fix is the clear coat someone sprayed on the right quarter panel and drivers door. It's pink but hard to get off. It sometimes peals off but I think it needs sanding off to remove it. the paint under it is perfectly fine so not sure why it was painted. I suspect it was done to try blend in the bumper when it was painted but its only on the drivers side, nothing on the passenger side.
Wet & dry sand paper might do the trick, you will have to feather the clearcoat to the base coat.

GDII

Post by GDII »

Turns out the TRD springs are not the ones in the photo below from Phothog but are infact the springs that Alsw20 bought for his 11s or bust project back in 2011. As you can see on the bottom photo the date is 2011 where Phothog bought his in 2006. The thing that gave it away was 1. the date and 2. the location of the sticker on the springs didn't match. With help from the owners of the cars/springs it clears up exactly why they were different.
GDII wrote:A set of second hand OEM Bilstein Blacks with some TRD soft springs with approximately 78,000km on them. The springs were bought new by Phothog for his Blue GEN3 turbo back in 2006. This car was then purchased by Reuban then went on to Clawnz who I bought the setup from. Thanks Clive.

Photo borrowed from Phothogs thread. The front spring still has it's Toyota NZ produced sticker on it from the original purchase.

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

This is them when they arrived from Mark, on the Thursday before Christmas 2011.

GDII

Post by GDII »

Omnomnom!! Thanks Al :mrgreen:

GDII

Post by GDII »

Last Sunday I decided to install the TRD springs.

I had disassembled the struts that had the TRD springs in them as I wanted to use my own Bilsteins. I couldn't do this on my own as the top hats just kept spinning so I got some help from Dixon with his air compressor and rattle gun. 3 came apart easy but one needed a breaker bar and a crowbar to hold the top hat from spinning. Once the main nut was loose it was easy to pull them apart.

I spent a bit of time cleaning all the parts to pick the best pieces to use. I ended up using a combination of bits from both strut sets to make one good set.
For the front I used my Bilsteins, the 'new' top mounts with the bearings, mine were very rough, my new bearing dust gaskets from when I installed the new Bilsteins, my top hats, 'new' rubber isolator for the top, 'new' TRD springs and 'new' rubber isolator for the bottom. That made one good front set.

For the rear I used my Bilsteins, the 'new' top hats and 'new' TRD springs. The tophats are from the 1991/12 - 1993/11 cars. I had the older ones from the 1989/12 - 1991/12 car. It made sense to use the newer ones as 1 they are newer and 2 they have a newer design which appears to be stronger with a deeper skirt at the base.

I used the new bump stops but didn't use the dust boots. When I disassembled the struts there was a ton of dust in the boot and on the piston rod so all they were doing was holding in the stuff they are meant to hold out. I keep the car clean and can just chuck the hose up there when washing the car.

Here is a before and after shot along with all the parts used.

30mm drop all round which is low but not too low.

Before 1990 Springs

After TRD Springs

After RS*R Ti 2000 Springs

When I had these in 4-5 years ago.
These springs went down quite low and make the car rake forward which I'm sure is good for getting the car to oversteer more but it was just too low for being practical.

Front strut parts

Rear spring setup

Rear top hats with the longer skirt at the base. It would be nice to get 1993/11+ top hats but not really needed. I think they have longer studs.

Springs removed and cleaned up.

Standard ride height with my tire and wheel setup from the ground to the guard front and rear is 650mm. All 4 corners now sit at 620mm. :twisted:

Front struts installed and at full extension

Rear struts installed and at full extension

Fronts at sitting compression. There is only one coil doing all the work with the TRD springs but the standard springs are similar.

Rears at sitting compression. The top half of the spring becomes a bunch of dead coils so they are only there to make up for the lowering and to allow the spring to be captive at full extension.

A few bonus shots of how it looks now.

ToyMonsta
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by ToyMonsta »

Very nice mate!
Can you still get the TRD Springs?