My SW20 - Dandism-life

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: James

Re: My SW20 - Dandism-life

Post by Swampy »

Alsw20 wrote:Is this from the slow speed spin that ended up on YouTube?
Nope this is from something more recent.
In the shed: 91 MR2 G-Limited, 95 Subaru Impreza WRX
In the front of the shed: 95 Corolla
In the driveway: 00 Subaru Legacy Lancaster
In the rear view: 87 Honda Prelude, 94 Nissan Serena, 04 Swift
~ 4 Runs ~

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Swampy »

I have a new car which has taken a lot of my time and money as it's fuel pump crapped out on me 1000km into ownership. It was also sold to me without a WOF but was advertised as having one so had to do a bit of work to get it roadworthy. Currently it has 3x matching tyres and 1x different brand, all of various tread depths... and because it is AWD, I am currently trying to get new tyres for it. As I am running 15s it is quite hard getting decent tyres but whatever I am going with Pirellis as they were a major sponsor for this type of car's motorsport variant. They'll most likely be brought in from Japan as I'm only after P6 or P7s (cheaper too).

But once that has decent tyres then the rebuild will begin. I'm thinking complete suspension overhaul first. It should be on the stock 14s until I source a new Rays Valvole wheel and fit new Potenza S001. I have new fenders, a Border front bumper, and drivers door ready to go on. Drivers door card and buttons etc to be swapped over though as the new one isn't in as good condition as my one.
~ 4 Runs ~

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

If the new car is an MR2 the replacement of the fuel pump will certainly test your faith. There are still several decent choices for 15" tyres which won't break the bank. I run Toyo's but Brigestone also make a performance tyre in the correct size.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Benckj wrote: If the new car is an MR2 the replacement of the fuel pump will certainly test your faith. There are still several decent choices for 15" tyres which won't break the bank. I run Toyo's but Brigestone also make a performance tyre in the correct size.
Sounds like a Subaru to me and changing a fuel pump in one of those is a 30min job. 8)
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Swampy »

GDII wrote: Sounds like a Subaru to me and changing a fuel pump in one of those is a 30min job. 8)
I'm going to unveil my car on the next run :) unfortunately not an MR2 but I sure do miss driving an MR2.
~ 4 Runs ~

Spykerwolf
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Will

Post by Spykerwolf »

Bit late to the party but glad you're ok man.
Good to see you're making progress as well :P
Current: None
Past: '92 NA Hardtop manual

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Swampy »

Its been a while huh.

Prior to this week the most I've done to my MR2 is pretty much rotate the tyres, buy the panels that I need, waste paint by spraying last winter and it looking like dog shit will need to be re-done later.

Last night I charged up the few batteries I have laying round, the one I bought back in 2015 when I got the car only charged to 10v but fortunately the one I had in my new car has a bit of life left in it and is same type so that got put in the 2. Alarm made an ugly noise and destroyed my ears but besides that my car fires up fine. Keyless entry battery is munted but that's OK. Battery light comes on and left indicator flashes like a crackhead but Car will probably get a full service and slowly be put back on the road. I don't want to rush this as I've got my 'daily'.

Plus Ive been out of Auckland for the whole year, and will be leaving next week. The car will get fixed though, any work I can't do myself will be left in capable hands.

Anyway i wanted to introduce my new car by way of a run but that didn't work out. So here it is. It's a 1995 Subaru Impreza WRX STI v1, the sports wagon. Everyone said no don't do it but I did and it worked out fine. It was either that or a 1990 Accord Vigor like the one my mum had lol, or one of the reg-on-hold Mitsubishi GTO on trademe.

Long story short, I got ripped off by a car dealer who sold me a car that had a fake wof sticker and it broke down with a bad fuel pump up north. After Mayne Automotive biggest ripoff c---ts trying to get 1k out of me for another wof I sought the help of my gf cousin who is a Subie lover. Took dealer to court and won $800.

I haven't done much to the Subaru, other than services with fluids plugs filters etc. Most expensive thing I've done is fit Pirelli cinturato p6 tyres and respray the wheels in a rally style white with colour matched accents. There's a knockoff eBay Sti shift knob and boot, and plenty of fake carbon fibre wrap, wing mirrors are covered in it as its much better than faded red/pink.

I also wanted to get into welding and fit a new muffler after my tip was dragged around maraetai. Typical subies. First oil change, my drain plug could be removed by hand. This car like my mr2 had been looked after by one owner for many years, but it had fallen in the hands of a dimwit. Muffler has been replaced. I've gone from a single exit 80mm diameter sti unit to a twin exit 75mm diameter eBay special. It's much quieter under low revs. I've also deleted bov while I had a boost leak, no turbo flutter yet.

I've travelled round the north island in a Nissan Serena too which has had its share of problems but they've all been fixed and that will be ready to sell to some travellers soon :)

Back to the MR2 - I'm fitting fenders, a border front bumper which used to be on Reubans car, and a new drivers door. Depending on how many bolts/nuts I have or grades of sandpaper I have I will do some of the repairs. I'll also get under and pull apart suspension. May fit my lowering springs and shocks if I don't need a spring compressor.
~ 4 Runs ~

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Swampy »

Oh yeah and car dealer had listed the Subaru as a wrx but after checking many engine codes, chassis codes and hyper rev magazine I am 99% sure it's an MY94 STI V1, full sti didn't begin til v2 where sti got improved everything over standard Wrx. Mines only difference from Wrx of same year I believe is that the engine has a slightly better tune/turbo. Offical figures are 220 PS Wrx, 260 PS Wrx sti. Car dealer unknowingly sold a higher spec car. :)
~ 4 Runs ~

rajkumar
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Omkar

Post by rajkumar »

Swampy wrote:Car dealer unknowingly sold a higher spec car. :)
This happens seldom, but is great when it does!

Post pics! Love v1/v2/v3 wrx's
too many cars

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Swampy »

Pics to come, sorry mate but my hard drive has died and my phones camera is shit.

In the midst of lowering my car with Bilstein black struts and eibach pro kit springs, plenty of siezed sway end links, does anyone know where to get cheapest end links that will go fine with stock sways? Won't go second hand.

I'll need to replace all top mounts too as they're shot, some more than others. Twosrus has kyb ones for 62 USD each. So far cheapest I can see.

And of course get boots for the struts but it's OK as car won't be driven until suspension fully done.

Haven't pulled off my LF Hub yet but frim what I can see lower control arm has been pushed back and will need panel beating round that area. Upper control arm Mount to chassis is buggered too.

RF front wheel fitted no dramas there.

It looks like someone replaced one front strut but not the other. The left doesn't even bounce back and I can push it down with no effort. Cable ties and cut brake line brackets indicate this along with second hand part paint marker numbers.

Also can anyone confirm dimple on front top hats need to face forward??.
~ 4 Runs ~

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Swampy »

Here's what the left looks like. I'll probably straighten it if I can and leave with installing new shock and spring. Will probably have to get a new black Mount and rod, control arm bush is murked. Will get steering end for peace of mind. The whole lot got pushed backwards. The whole Mount ripped off one of the bolts. I think this whole end was weak and was destined to fail with a dodgy shock, possible weak point at that Bolt and before my crash I had a crack on other side of sway Mount welded up.
P80908-165324.jpg
P80908-165416.jpg
P80908-165540.jpg
P80908-165540.jpg
Will do all that I can before I leave Auckland for a bit. May have spare hub and control arm laying about.
Attachments
P80908-165643.jpg
~ 4 Runs ~

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Swampy »

Progress halted by the WRX having some overheating issues, and I'm going low n slow:
IMG_20190508_081314.jpg
~ 4 Runs ~

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

Nice classic Prelude, always nice to see a 80s/90s Jappa sports car regardless of what it is in good nick

Try BNT for some end links.
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Swampy »

Prelude is being wrecked, way too much rust and I'd rather have one modified car than a couple half done.

Swapped over the wheels to my new AE101R Corolla though, which will be a good daily hopefully. Picked it up in Wellington a month ago, done 267xxx km but it is nz new and has a good service history. Plus its blue which is a rare-ish colour. New Chinese rubber in 195/65r14 which beats half worn/old Chinese rubber in 175/65r14 steelie size.

Admittedly I was inspired by Clanfever and GDII in my choice.

Once Auckland goes back down to level 2/1 (hopefully soon) I'll be back up to try and fix my 2. Hopefully it can be fixed. Now I'm in the panel and paint industry lol I should be able to manage the scratched up side easily it's just the front suspension that worries me.
~ 4 Runs ~