David's '92 Toyota MR2 GT-S Turbo!

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: David

Re: David's '92 Toyota MR2 GT-S Turbo!

Post by DravidDavid »

Alsw20 wrote:Found a donor car for you.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-ca ... 349819.htm
Looks pretty clean! Still want a genuine turbo body though. Plans are on hold however for various reasons. Mainly because I have 5 cars already and need to focus on getting in shape and focus on other things.

I've found my perfect ride, but it's not ready for revealing yet. It's a bit rough around the edges, but with a clean up it will be ready for posting! :D

DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by DravidDavid »

Sold the running gear out of the red car and bought these! I'm just getting greedy now :lol:

One is stock as a rock with 140kms on it. The other one has 130kms with a racing diff, KO down pipe (which I'll team with my cross pipe and muffler...finally!) And a bunch of extra goodies such as rebuilt over size CT26 with Garret wheel. It's already faster than the red one. I've still got a Link ECU, KO 2.5" cross pipe and muffler to put on it yet.
IMG_20170907_192132.jpg
The 5S-GTE will still happen. I have a GT3540, manifold to suit and all the bits to go with it. Just wanting forged rods and pistons but waiting on more money :lol:. I'll probably end up putting it in a Caldina GTT or a GT4 body though. Haven't decided.

Better pictures will come soon when they're all properly fixed up and ready for a club run. It's too bad Mr Shiny skipped town!

Mr Shiny
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Brae

Post by Mr Shiny »

:mrgreen:
New house sorted, will be hopefully be back into it from October.
Sorry mate, bit of a drive now!
“If you think the professionals are expensive, you should see what the amateurs can cost you.”

DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by DravidDavid »

Mr Shiny wrote::mrgreen:
New house sorted, will be hopefully be back into it from October.
Sorry mate, bit of a drive now!
So sad. Looks like I'm going to have to drive to you.

chief1eye
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Ross

Post by chief1eye »

What are the specs on the GT3540?

DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by DravidDavid »

chief1eye wrote:What are the specs on the GT3540?
Compressor Wheel:
Inlet: 61MM
Outlet: 81.7MM
Trim: 48
A/R: 0.7

Turbine Wheel:
Inlet: 67.8MM
Outlet: 62MM
Trim: 55
A/R: 0.82

Intake: 4"
Outlet: 3" 

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

Big hot side.

DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by DravidDavid »

The A team is back together. And my red car's power plant lives on in a yellow '90 GT hard top.
Blackie, Bumble & CatPiss on the right.
Blackie, Bumble & CatPiss on the right.
IMG_20171123_191400.jpg
I think I need to start a new build thread, haha.

DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by DravidDavid »

Quick update after a long hiatus.

Found a set of Blitz Type 01s on Facebook after years of on and off searching. They are in great condition. Spent $700.00, which I thought was reasonable. Now I just have to work out what tyres to wrap them with.

17x8 +35 / 17x9 +35

Apologies for the terrible photo. My camera on my phone is broken.
received_428625964462829.jpeg
received_428625964462829.jpeg (75.38 KiB) Viewed 2125 times

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

DravidDavid wrote:Found a set of Blitz Type 01s... Now I just have to work out what tyres to wrap them with.
Good score! :mrgreen:

I'd recommend either Potenzas, or Toyo T1R.

Either way, be sure to use the same brand and model of tyre at both ends otherwise differing sidewall stiffness can result in scary handling.

Here's a bit of homework for you... :wink:

https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/info ... _Guide.pdf

https://www.bridgestonetyres.co.nz/tyre ... alin-re003

https://www.yhiautomotive.co.nz/View-A- ... R?Id=12826
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by DravidDavid »

mickeyduck wrote:
DravidDavid wrote:Found a set of Blitz Type 01s... Now I just have to work out what tyres to wrap them with.
Good score! :mrgreen:

I'd recommend either Potenzas, or Toyo T1R.

Either way, be sure to use the same brand and model of tyre at both ends otherwise differing sidewall stiffness can result in scary handling.
Yep! I'm holding off until I find the right set within budget.

I wanted RE003s again, because I had a good experience on my old 16s. But the bridgestone website is completely useless. They recently had a buy 3 get one free deal going, but the 215/40/17 was not covered and they didn't have a 235/40/17. I was going to go for the 245 for the back, but all up it was going to be $1100 for a full set. Considering I paid about $850 for my last set I wasn't very impressed. I can get a set of T1Rs for 900 without any discount and I can get a 235/40/17 for the rear.

I'm going to wait patiently as their new promo is "Black Friday deals" on specific tyres every day. I'm going to check every day, wait for the performance catagory to come 'round and see if the 215/40/17 as part of in the deal this time. There wasn't any stock anyway, so couldn't get my hands on them till next week even if I tried.

I also tried Hyperdrive, but I couldn't find a matching set via their website, even when they had AD08Rs on TradeMe in both sizes, their website didn't match.

I went 17" because I was told tyres were abundant, but I'm not finding that to be the case at all. God forbid I purchased 16 rims, judging by what everyone says, I would have been even more limited.

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

I find the new Bridgestone website way better than before. It lists all the tyres and the sizes we can get. Unfortunately they don't make a 235/40R17 so we all use the 245/40R17. Don't use the 235/45 as it's even taller than the 245/40.

AD08R run a really square shoulder vs other tyres so are wider but look better. Not stretched on an 8/9 setup. But they wear really fast, especially in the rear.

Goodyear have the F1 Directional 5 and Asymetric 3 in 215 and 245. I was sure they had 235 before.
Toyo have a set of 215 and 235 which are good choice if you can get them at the price you can. Most sets are well into the $1100 but who pays retail for tyres anyway?

About 3 years ago (wow it's been that long since I bought my Advan wheels!) there were 7 sets of high performance street tyres available for the 215/235 or 245 setup. I forget what was on the list so see if this still exists now.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

nightz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Ken

Post by nightz »

I wouldn't waste my time checking out sizing and pricing on the Bridgestone website.

Get into the store and discuss what you want with the owner, not all sizes are on their website.
Most (not all) will help you get what you want and with way better pricing. If they don't go another store.

I've found the best stores are the one's close to a bunch of car yards.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

nightz wrote:Get into the store and discuss what you want with the owner...
I'd agree with that sentiment. Also, as far as I know if they advertise a "buy 3 get 4" deal it usually applies to Potenzas. At least that's how I've always bought mine. As Ken says, just rock in and hit them up. If they say "no", go elsewhere.

We have 6 Toymotas here, run Potenza RE003 on 4 of them (GT86, GT4 Caldina, AW11 SC x 2) with Potenza S001 on my red SW and Toyo T1R on the old na SW learner-mobile. They all go around corners, stop, and stick in the wet, very well indeed. :)

As for ensuring the diameter is near OEM (so your speedo reads within the 5% legal threshold) tools like this are useful:
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?ti ... -255-35r18
https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: James

Post by Swampy »

If any Bridgestone branches you speak to don't want to do you a good deal then there's deals to be had on yahoo japan auctions through ml racing. Granted you'll have to wait a couple of months for shipping but I got 4x new pirellis for the price of 2 retail in nz.
In the shed: 91 MR2 G-Limited, 95 Subaru Impreza WRX
In the front of the shed: 95 Corolla
In the driveway: 00 Subaru Legacy Lancaster
In the rear view: 87 Honda Prelude, 94 Nissan Serena, 04 Swift
~ 4 Runs ~