Supercharged 2GR SW20 Project

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
lasersooby
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Mo

RECARO SEATS & 6SPEED EA60 GEARBOX

Post by lasersooby »

Bit of an update on the build, car body will get a full week's worth of attention to get it finished off ready for painting. Sorted color out, going with Mazda Soul Red, hopefully it comes out alright. Just for 3 liters of paint is around 1100$, have speak to the missus nicely to let me spend this. In the meantime, a few more goodies arrived and have to start sorting out when to put them as the garage is becoming a bit messy. The gearbox will get a total rebuild with a Quaife LSD install and am seriously looking at a Quartermaster system to in as well
Attachments
Rear Boot Mat.JPG
Rear Boot Mat.JPG (26.14 KiB) Viewed 3653 times
Euro R Recaros for MR2.JPG
Euro R Recaros for MR2.JPG (111.31 KiB) Viewed 3653 times
EA6x 6speed 4.JPG
EA6x 6speed 4.JPG (129.69 KiB) Viewed 3653 times
EA6x 6speed 3.JPG
EA6x 6speed 3.JPG (137.51 KiB) Viewed 3653 times
EA6x 6speed 2.JPG
EA6x 6speed 2.JPG (133.23 KiB) Viewed 3653 times
EA6x 6speed 1.JPG
EA6x 6speed 1.JPG (143.49 KiB) Viewed 3653 times
6speed Gear Lever, Mount & cables.JPG
6speed Gear Lever, Mount & cables.JPG (145.26 KiB) Viewed 3653 times
6speed Gear Knob.JPG
6speed Gear Knob.JPG (99.09 KiB) Viewed 3653 times
Last edited by lasersooby on Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Toyota Aqua G's
Daily Drive: 2005 Honda CR-V Sport (Auto) - SOLD
When the Wife Allows: 2020 TRD RAV4 Limited Hybrid
If the Weather is Nice: 2000 GDBSTiV7 Subaru
Looking Forward To: Supercharged MR2

*84vvt
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Colin

Re: Supercharged 2GR SW20 Project

Post by *84vvt »

Score of the year well done
Details ........ or there will be trouble LOL
Boosted cars are like hot women.
A little edgy, every guy wants one,
some guys can't handle them,
and if you throw a little alcohol in them they'll rock your world.

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Looking like its all coming together. Keen to see how car comes out when painted. I'm gearing up to shoot mine over Christmas. What brand and type of paint did you purchase?
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

lasersooby
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by lasersooby »

Hi, bought the paint and everything else that went with it through Total Bodyshop Supplies in Petone. Awesome people to deal with.
The brand is PPG and the Mazda Soul Red comes in with a base and a clear that goes with it.
My mate that is doing the body work and painting is planning to get a good depth of color. Will post pictures up as it evolves :D
2017 Toyota Aqua G's

lasersooby
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

ADDITIONAL PARTS WIRING ETC EX-UK

Post by lasersooby »

Another box of parts arrived from the UK, complete wiring looms (front, inside & engine bay) including all sensors, ABS Pump & all related ECU & sensors. Unmolested wiring loom to replace the butchered ones that were in the project car. Donor car wiring looks a bit suss as well hence this purchase. Complete package was GBP 48.00 and shipping through YouShop was NZ$105.00. No customs or duty charges for this shipment
Rev 4 Complete Wiring Loom with Sensors & ABS Pump.JPG
Rev 4 Complete Wiring Loom with Sensors & ABS Pump.JPG (105.67 KiB) Viewed 3582 times
Last edited by lasersooby on Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Toyota Aqua G's

chief1eye
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Ross

Post by chief1eye »

Hi Mo

How far away before your up and running?

Mrman
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Shaun

Post by Mrman »

Is that the Evora tranny?

lasersooby
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by lasersooby »

Hi Ross, bit of a slow build as I have gutted the car completely and taken it bare metal. Wanted to be sure that there was no rust and any damage anywhere due to my plans for the build. I cannot see this on the road this summer but sometime later this year.

Shaun, yeah this is the same tranny that goes in the Evora. The ratios are really good and cruising rpm is around 2000 and the good thing is that it will hold the torque that the 2GR produces. I can get sports gear set off the Evora but nah, it will not make any difference to me. Quaife make an LSD for this transmission which I will be getting soon and will get the box fully rebuilt. My plan is to use a QuarterMaster clutch release system which will solve a few issues out around the fork actuater so will see how this goes.

How's your car going?
2017 Toyota Aqua G's

Mrman
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Mrman »

lasersooby wrote:Hi Ross, bit of a slow build as I have gutted the car completely and taken it bare metal. Wanted to be sure that there was no rust and any damage anywhere due to my plans for the build. I cannot see this on the road this summer but sometime later this year.

Shaun, yeah this is the same tranny that goes in the Evora. The ratios are really good and cruising rpm is around 2000 and the good thing is that it will hold the torque that the 2GR produces. I can get sports gear set off the Evora but nah, it will not make any difference to me. Quaife make an LSD for this transmission which I will be getting soon and will get the box fully rebuilt. My plan is to use a QuarterMaster clutch release system which will solve a few issues out around the fork actuater so will see how this goes.

How's your car going?
Mine is going well thanks mo no real issues to speak of yet, I’m lining up my certification for January which is the next job on the list. so which model Toyota does the tranny come from?

lasersooby
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by lasersooby »

Hi mate, it will be interesting to see how the certification process goes. Hopefully all goes well.

The tranny is out of the 2.0 Diesel Toyota Auris, amazing that the Evora's have this as the standard gearbox behind the supercharged 2GR. These things are like rocking horses at the moment in NZ. Been looking for one for a while and had a few people involved in this and luckily for me and unlucky for the owners there was an Auris that got written off down south and I managed to get this for a very good price.

To make this work, I have to do a few mods but nothing that is going to be a show stopper. It will also work nicely with the electronic speedo cluster that I have got out of the UK as well, just need to change the rpm bits on the cluster from a Camry to get the right pulse.

The selector cable will require a mod as well but once again, it is part of the price you pay when changing things around.

Good luck with the cert and great to hear that the unit is running well
2017 Toyota Aqua G's

Mrman
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Mrman »

Interesting, thanks mate can’t wait to se it all together

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

lasersooby wrote:The tranny is out of the 2.0 Diesel Toyota Auris, amazing that the Evora's have this as the standard gearbox behind the supercharged 2GR. These things are like rocking horses at the moment in NZ. Been looking for one for a while and had a few people involved in this and luckily for me and unlucky for the owners there was an Auris that got written off down south and I managed to get this for a very good price.
Not just the Auris, the Corolla which was sold new in New Zealand with the manual D4 2.0 litre diesel had the same box. My aunt and uncle have one as a run around.

Mrman
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Mrman »

Alsw20 wrote:
lasersooby wrote:The tranny is out of the 2.0 Diesel Toyota Auris, amazing that the Evora's have this as the standard gearbox behind the supercharged 2GR. These things are like rocking horses at the moment in NZ. Been looking for one for a while and had a few people involved in this and luckily for me and unlucky for the owners there was an Auris that got written off down south and I managed to get this for a very good price.
Not just the Auris, the Corolla which was sold new in New Zealand with the manual D4 2.0 litre diesel had the same box. My aunt and uncle have one as a run around.

Mrman
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Mrman »

Mrman wrote:
Alsw20 wrote:
Are you lining it up for when/ if the motor fails haha

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

Put a manual box in my Blade Master G and really wake it up.