SO863

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Re: SO863

Post by mickeyduck »

Going to have to see this animal in action one day.

Got any fresh pics Rodney? What's the car looking like now?
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Malcolm
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Ah so you're the guy who bought the Group S replica kit then :mrgreen: ?

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Rodney

Post by Speedhog »

mickeyduck wrote:Going to have to see this animal in action one day.
Got any fresh pics Rodney? What's the car looking like now?
Will Get some fresh Pic's tonight, last night are blurry as a drunk's vision.
Last night was a tiring wiring session with the engine loom.
Have turned the way the wiring harness hangs off the motor and to make it shorter and easier to unmount IF it needs to be removed.
Removed all the unnecessary wires like power steering and a/c, along with some silly sensors that won't get used.
Malcolm wrote:Ah so you're the guy who bought the Group S replica kit then :mrgreen: ?
You mean Wim's Belguim kit, that I've been eyeing up with great lust and desire??
Nope, Not me.. just someone I Know. :mrgreen:
I might just get to co-drive in the car, once it's finished. I wouldn't hold your breathe for it to be finished this side of 2019.

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Speedhog »

The wiring harness now awaiting plug and attachements.
You can see here the engine mount for the driver's side that sits into the factory mount
Spaghetti junction.
Spaghetti junction.
Excess Weight from standard 2GR Aurion loom
Excess Weight from standard 2GR Aurion loom
Whilst looking for a quarterlight window for the road car, which someone broke just "cause". (Thanks muppets!) I found this nice little set up to have a play with.
$70 bucks from Zebra. (still didn't get the window! haha)
IMG_20170806_174829.jpg

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Speedhog »

Update time.
Since Charlie's(MickeyDuck) and Kris's(Statek) Scare ride in Flick (I'll start a rides thread one day for her) a few little purchases have turned up at the shop.
A large wooden crate that weighs in at a tiny 417kg!
A healthy baby mill!
IMG_20170816_173532.jpg
and started work on the "dry sump" sump pan.
IMG_20170812_112921.jpg
(the motor upside down is a naffed 2GR that was brought for a couple of parts off it. Great mock up motor too!)

I say "dry sump" as it is more of a remote oil reservoir than a true external dry sump pump.
It will consist of a scavenger pump, the flow oil past the filter and into the external tank. The current setup is to have the standard oil pump feeding the motor with liquid gold. An oil cooler line is looking like a separate pump from the tank to a oil cooler in the front, utilizing the standard heater hose hard lines. (Don't need a heater in a rallycar!)

My next mission is actually on Flick. (roof swap time finally! YAY!)

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Speedhog »

So a better view inside the sump line.
IMG_20171005_210754.jpg
Not much has been done due to sickness. (colds and flu's)

New flywheel has been ordered since the old one from the Beams motor could not be modified to fit the 2GR boltholes.
More to be posted once, something exciting happens. haha.

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Speedhog »

Motor is mounted to the gearbox and in place!
IMG_20171118_170956.jpg
If you follow the Floor pan line, this is the lowest we can go, including Exhaust. Due to the Sump bash plate /guard placement.
IMG_20171118_171222.jpg
An idea of the sump guard height, it mounts to the back of the cradle
IMG_20171118_170657.jpg
the depth difference between half a standard sump, and the new hybrid sump pan.
IMG_20171118_171655.jpg

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Speedhog »

An Update!
So the exhaust pre-flexi has been designed and "built"

http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/download/file. ... w&id=14586

Made possible with the sump design, as we have gained a good couple of inches clearance.
Attachments
exhaust design.jpg

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Speedhog »

Update.
The trumbone aka "y pipe" that we have fabricated from scratch has been and returned from HPC coatings for final assembly.
and the end exhaust has been fab'ed up to allow quick tack'n'weld once the coolant, heater pipes have been finalized.
Wiring is a huge mission, and have been delayed with the build of the office next door. (who are paying the bills for the car, so take priority.)

G4+ Extreme will be on order in the next week or so.
A same set back is that the person we have lined up to weld the sump together as we weren't confidante to make a seal, side no, he can't keep it flat. So a redesign is happening there too.

Hopefully we can have it running before rally Coromandel, but that is still alot of work to be done. I'm itching to get back in the co-driver seat for in it. Was suckered into an Evo4 the other week, and realised how much i miss the suicide seat.

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Speedhog »

Slow progress has been made to "Dopey' (sad when you HAVE to nickname the "2's" because you have three too many....)
Last thing to do is to wire up the LInk G4+ Xtreme and then run the motor in before sending it off for a tune.
Motor, G'box and "Dry Sump" system is in place.
New Front brake setup with wider Disc's and calipers to allow better cooling and better pedal feel on the longer stages. Now in place.

Once the tune is done, a new steering column will have to be made as Flick stole("gifted" after the Beams decided that was enough, at an event three years ago in a week!!)

Then we get to test the gravel throwing ability of a 2GR in the back of a AW11. ( I can't wait, it's soooo gonna be fun!, and been far too long)

Once we have the reliability of the 2GR and drive train sorted, we will begin the New Car, Which maybe a 2022 debut. :lol: (fingers crossed, It's gonna me mental!)

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Speedhog »

Positive News adter 18 months of the motor not turning over, it spins on the starter and gets oil pressure!

Wiring up is still in progress