Flick the Hillclimb Beast.

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Rodney

Flick the Hillclimb Beast.

Post by Speedhog »

So, late 2015, I was having a discussion with Jeff (the owner of SO863, and the guy I co-drive for the the NZRC) about how I missed driving a AW and wouldn't mind a AW racecar..
A Motorkhana and Autocross later driving SO863, Flick became available on Trademe. A few people were guttered that they missed out on it. Re: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13431

Flick is running a standard 20v Silvertop with a gearbox(unsure of what just yet, haven't looked too much into it at the moment) with a nice tight LSD!

First order of the day was actually get some legal harnesses as the ones in the car where expired by 3 months(no further extensions possible).
Then replace the single radiator fan with a double fan setup, and rewire the fan's to run through a relay rather than the small single core speaker wire that was running from the battery, through a switch and directly to the fan!

A few drives up and down the driveway at the old workshop (read: It may have been the road, not quite sure now. :lol:.) managed to diagnose that the shift arm was used to lift the engine and gearbox into the car at some point, and had bent the driver arm! Yanked that out, and straightened it with a press. Wow the difference shifting from 2nd to 3rd! was night and day. And now reverse was easier to get into!
A few hillclimbs and bentsprints from June 2016 to Jan 2017, Flick was running a standard steering ratio. aircraft carrier locks. Made driving on gravel really interesting as it felt like the car was driving me rather than me the car
Kaipara Hills 2016
Kaipara Hills 2016
FB_IMG_1504580207727.jpg (26.73 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
Murray Rd Hillclimb 2016
Murray Rd Hillclimb 2016
Flick.jpg (220.93 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
So when the motor cried enough in SO863 at HCMC annual weekend away, the decision to fast track the upgrade was made and 45 mins later columns had been swapped out. the next day's autocross was completely different from previous events. I could actually throw the car around more and control the car how I wanted.
The difference could be measured in valuable seconds on an autocross and better on hillclimbs. (Paiawa Rd bentsprint this year was 45 seconds quicker than last year).

Recently a brake bias adjuster was placed on the front lines to get more pressure on the rear, to really slide the rear into corners. Unfortunately this hasn't worked as well as hoped so the next step is some SW20 calipers and AW front rotors on the rear for more braking force. (will mean machining the hubs and making some dog bones to fit.)
Kaipara Hills 2017
Kaipara Hills 2017
FB_IMG_1504575117302.jpg (20.77 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
The most recent modification has been taking the sunroof out and replacing with a hardtop. This was a pure driver comfort / fit problem.
New Roof!
New Roof!

Why Flick? Well, that is a funny story. Its not just because that is what your meant to do on Gravel.
It comes from the 1937 Disney movie Snow White, more over it was one of the unused Dwarf names.
Flick has ~6 entries on the log book since it was caged in '04.

Enough Ranting for now.
Back to Work and thinking about throwing some gravel.

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kris

Re: Flick the Hillclimb Beast.

Post by Statek »

Nice to see your car in a post Rodney!

Regarding rear brakes, you can buy rings which will centre the rotors on the hubs, no machining necessary (although I know you've got the tools!): http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php? ... 15#p129488
1986 Toyota MR2 AW11 20v ST - SOLD

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Speedhog »

Statek wrote:Nice to see your car in a post Rodney!

Regarding rear brakes, you can buy rings which will centre the rotors on the hubs, no machining necessary (although I know you've got the tools!): http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php? ... 15#p129488
Cheers Kris!
Wonder if these will fit to the 4 pot wilwoods as well. May say some time on the other, other car!

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Speedhog »

Bayer's Autocross was yesterday, of which I was the Clerk of Course, and racing this lil beast of a car.
The fun began with a Barina GTI collecting the finish fence damaging a light and bumper, not bad but a little delay in the day.
Then came the REAL fun with Jeff of SO863-fame plowing Flick into not one but TWO Fence strainer posts!
Front Damge.jpg
Rear Damage.jpg
Even though Jeff had finished, he decided to park his entry for the day, allowing myself and my nephew Levi to compete with a damaged car. Left guard and headlight was removed to allow us to continue.

Will try to get it "fixed" for the HCMC Xmas Autocross in a fortnight.

Cheers for the Photo Kris (Statek)
Bayer's Farm Kris Sosna.jpg

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kris

Post by Statek »

Here's the damage as seen on the day:
Attachments
Start Finish.jpg
Start Finish.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 3563 times
Flick after finish.jpg
Flick after finish.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 3563 times
1986 Toyota MR2 AW11 20v ST - SOLD

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Speedhog »

So after a quiet Xmas/New Years break, Flick received a fresher motor and been to the panel beaters for a little attention after Jeff decided to attack the strainer and gate.

Foreman's Corner Triathlon was on Auckland Anniversary Weekend, Motorkhana, Hillclimb and an Autocross all in three days. It's always a good social time, and some good battles..
But this year something seemed a little off with the fresher motor.. Overheating and generally down on power. During the Hillclimb, it was decided to Park Flick for the rest of the weekend, and concerntrate on the social side.

Come back Auckland to the radiator was, and has been blocked not allowing enough flow through to cool.
replaced the radiator with a spare we just happened to have in the carpark..:lol: Magic, no longer overheats!

So while working on re-bleeding the coolant system, I casually moved the throttle cable aside, and the whole lot moved 6 inches.. WTF. it's meant only to move a touch.
The sheath that is held on the motor side had jumped off the mount and was only giving 1/4 throttle. Re attached and tested it.. Wow She has some power now! Mean!

Heard in the grape vine that Pukekohe car club was running a Motorkhana in Drury on Saturday so I decided i needed some throttle therapy (and i needed to test the motor out before this weekend's Hillclimb at Mangapai Caves)
With the goal of having fun I set out to just skid up for a little bit. Now looking back I should have been on point since the start of the day.
the results below. 3rd Overall, 8 seconds behind first.
PCC Motorkhana.jpg

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Speedhog »

Time for some real racecar stuff, more Weight reduction!

About a year ago we picked up another car for parts that had a nice fibreglass front end on it that was no longer going to be used.
Finally decided, in the middle of the busy period for SO863 and life and road trips to finally do this mod/swap.

Had a fibreglass bonnet for Flick forever, so thats getting thrown on as well.

http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/download/file. ... w&id=15824
Attachments
Fibregkass front.jpg

Mattaw11
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Matt

Post by Mattaw11 »

Hope you have a mould for that front incase i clip something again

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Speedhog »

Ive been working away slowly at painting the fibreglass and aligning it all up to fit.

next stop bonnet pins and a new windscreen before the 17th June for Paiawia rd Bentsprint.
IMG_20180527_135431.jpg
IMG_20180527_135417.jpg
IMG_20180527_135409.jpg

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Speedhog »

Progress
Lightbar wiring harness installed!
Lightbar.jpg
Lightbar.jpg (22.18 KiB) Viewed 3145 times
Now to mount the attachment points.

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Speedhog »

Kaipara Hills Bentsprint ran on sunday, and I now own part of a fence..
Fastest run was 03:46.661 on run three
Incar for your enjoyment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdlUPvQZBgI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lgHqsp7urw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtg_gGi57FI

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Speedhog »

Thames Valley ran a hillclimb on sunday. Gloating videos below.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... AX2uLAkxwz

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Speedhog »

So the other week I actually got to use the light bar I made fit the front of Flick. and Wholy mother of Night! The road ahead of me was daylight!
Screen Dump.jpg
Sorry about the screen dump. (running dual screens at home CBF cropping. Free image of flick from the same event.)

For any future night event's I'll look at adding two "pencils" lights for down the middle of the road depth of vision. But otherwise What absolute fun that event was.. until the light bar failed. with 500m's to go. Simple fix thank god. electrician has been warned to tidy up his next job tho. haha

Mr-Paulio
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Paul

Post by Mr-Paulio »

Speedhog wrote:So the other week I actually got to use the light bar I made fit the front of Flick. and Wholy mother of Night! The road ahead of me was daylight!
They are great aye! I have one on my Ute for around the farm. The difference is dramatic even from high beam to switching the light bar on. And those are modern factory headlight too.
'89 AW11 V6 Turbo (350BHP & 380Ft/lbs!) :twisted:
'86 AW11 20V (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo "BlackRat" #RatRodStyle (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo (Sold) :(
South Auckland Area Coordinator

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Speedhog »

Mr-Paulio wrote:
Speedhog wrote:So the other week I actually got to use the light bar I made fit the front of Flick. and Wholy mother of Night! The road ahead of me was daylight!
They are great aye! I have one on my Ute for around the farm. The difference is dramatic even from high beam to switching the light bar on. And those are modern factory headlight too.
They are fantastic alright. Just need a little more oomph for distance. May have to look at putting in LED lights into the headlights as an easy "pencil" Lights. Shame that there isnt any more Night events on the horizon tho. Maybe next year.