geemannz's 1997 SW20

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
rocco26
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: brian

Re: geemannz's 1997 SW20

Post by rocco26 »

Step aside Colin, Phill is the new Guru!

geemannz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Gareth

Post by geemannz »

So I was driving to work today, and the handling of the car was just all mover the place. Wasn't handling right at all. Got to work (I only live 5 mins away from work so wasn't to sketchy) and had to leave it until i finished.
Got back to my car at the end of the day and went around the car to try and find what was wrong. Got to the right rear and:

https://youtu.be/IUCTmy1GRSs

Yeah... that wasn't good. At all.

Turned out to be this:
P81007-180309.jpg
One of the Sub-frame bolts that stopped the wheel from moving in and out had gotten oil all over it, into the threads, and vibrated loose.
Spent an hour and a half in The Base's staff carpark, on gravel, trying to fix with with f-all tools. Managed to do it, but wasn't a pleasant experience.

On a more exciting note Ill be getting onto fixing the oil leak this week! Can't wait to be able to take the thing for a decent drive.

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Jabeo

Post by Jabeo »

geemannz wrote:So I was driving to work today, and the handling of the car was just all mover the place. Wasn't handling right at all. Got to work (I only live 5 mins away from work so wasn't to sketchy) and had to leave it until i finished.
Got back to my car at the end of the day and went around the car to try and find what was wrong. Got to the right rear and:

One of the Sub-frame bolts that stopped the wheel from moving in and out had gotten oil all over it, into the threads, and vibrated loose.
Spent an hour and a half in The Base's staff carpark, on gravel, trying to fix with with f-all tools. Managed to do it, but wasn't a pleasant experience.
Thats unfortunate, i was working today at hoyts, i brought my sw and i had my tool box in the car too lol
1992 MR2 GT Turbo :twisted: Complete with Traction control!
1997 N/A Honda Civic EK3 :twisted:

:!: Follow me on Instagram :!: https://www.instagram.com/jabeo_waho/
Im still learning a lot about cars so bear with me!

geemannz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by geemannz »

Jabeo wrote:
geemannz wrote:So I was driving to work today, and the handling of the car was just all mover the place. Wasn't handling right at all. Got to work (I only live 5 mins away from work so wasn't to sketchy) and had to leave it until i finished.

Thats unfortunate, i was working today at hoyts, i brought my sw and i had my tool box in the car too lol
Would have been handy lol. Managed to work out fine though. On the off chance that wouldn't happen to be your MR2 that parks next to the bus stop quite regularly would it? I keep seeing one there quite often when i'm at work

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Jabeo

Post by Jabeo »

geemannz wrote:Would have been handy lol. Managed to work out fine though. On the off chance that wouldn't happen to be your MR2 that parks next to the bus stop quite regularly would it? I keep seeing one there quite often when i'm at work
Yeah mate, every sunday. and you always parked near the entrance to that car park if i remember correctly, not far from where you work
1992 MR2 GT Turbo :twisted: Complete with Traction control!
1997 N/A Honda Civic EK3 :twisted:

:!: Follow me on Instagram :!: https://www.instagram.com/jabeo_waho/
Im still learning a lot about cars so bear with me!

geemannz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by geemannz »

Jabeo wrote:
geemannz wrote:Would have been handy lol. Managed to work out fine though. On the off chance that wouldn't happen to be your MR2 that parks next to the bus stop quite regularly would it? I keep seeing one there quite often when i'm at work
Yeah mate, every sunday. and you always parked near the entrance to that car park if i remember correctly, not far from where you work
Yeah that's the one. Always cool to see another MR2 out in the wild.

geemannz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by geemannz »

So I started on the pretty big task of replacing the front oil pump housing gasket today. Managed to get about halfway through the job before having to stop because of fading daylight.

Tomorrow I will be reassembling everything and hopefully once the sump sealant has set I will have a working car for once!

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

That's good to hear. It's a lot of work and some extra money but as you've found it's a great learning experience and you get to know your car better and engines. :D
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

geemannz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by geemannz »

GDII wrote:That's good to hear. It's a lot of work and some extra money but as you've found it's a great learning experience and you get to know your car better and engines. :D
A lot of sweat, blood, tears, and frustration have gone into this car. On the upside if anyone in the Waikato area needs help with changing a cam belt or something I know how to do that reasonably fast lol.

geemannz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by geemannz »

The car is now back together. Gotta let the Sump RTV set and then fill it with oil and hope like hell it doesn't leak again.

Assuming it doesn't leak again, next task is to recharge the A/C (summers coming and all) and then onto the cosmetics!

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Fingers crossed you got it this time round.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

geemannz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by geemannz »

Just ran it. Oil still leaking out the timing cover. When I had the pulley off last I did notice some evidence of oil leaking out the front crankshaft oil seal, so it could still be that.

At this stage I'm not sure what I am going to do. Anyone have any tips or tricks to get this oil leak sorted? Could there be an underlying issue as to why the front crankshaft seal may be leaking?

GDII
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Did you replace it? Got any photos of it installed?
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Could there be an underlying issue as to why the front crankshaft seal may be leaking?
All depends on if the seal is OK and was installed properly. Sometimes the face or shaft gets damaged from people prying old seals out or wreaking rubber lip when installed. Some decent pics may help determine if this is where the problem lies.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

geemannz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by geemannz »

[Hey ="GDII"]Did you replace it? Got any photos of it installed?[/quote]

Yeah it's been replaced. I don't have any photos of it atm. Can't really get at it until next week.