Mickeyduck's machines

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Re: Mickeyduck's machines

Post by GDII »

85AW20v wrote:I've been thinking about this a bit and I think the links were too short - but only just. When you put some lock on, the length from the shock connection to sway bar connection tries to lengthen - but can't so then the swaybar end moves up as the shock rotates. If the links are too short the swaybar end could be straight in line with the shock connection and if you then hit a bump - as Charlie did - then the swaybar could be flicked upwards rather than down as normal.

To me, it's to do with the maximum length that can be attained from the swaybar attachment to the shock attachment when the shock is turned. The links must be longer than that to prevent them turning inside out. :?
That does sound like it could be the problem. What length are they? Or were they? :wink:
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

The actual (and knackered, which is why I didn't use them) BC Gold front links are the same length as stock AW11 ones Phill. The ones that were on the SW (OEM, and now bent) were considerably shorter.

Drove the SW along some bumpy back roads to the Toyota Festival at Hamptons yesterday. VERY happy with the suspension now. Soaks up the bumps, gets around corners, can put down the power, and not a harsh ride. Stoked. :D

Car's running well, the replacement fuel system is SWeet, and I'm not losing nuts and bolts anymore, or breaking things every time I go over a nasty back road bump. :D :D :D

Still a few things to do such as get the AF gauge working, swap in the 300 kmh speedo etc. But it finally seems to be a serious back road GT.

Speaking of GT's, I followed a Mercedes AMG GTS for a bit this morning. What a gorgeous bit of design. The sides and rear of the car are truly stunning. The nose could perhaps be improved a little but I'd certainly be happy to drive one. Very nice indeed. And that's something coming from me, as I generally dislike Mercedes styling.

Looked just like this, same wing too. Pity they cost so much to buy or rent...
AMG-GTS.png
AMG-GTS.png (582.59 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 4.22.39 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 4.22.39 pm.png (163.59 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
Meanwhile (back on Earth) I'm stoked with how my humble little GTS is shaping up. 8) Yay for the MR2, the not-so-rich fella's Toymota. :mrgreen:

Here it is flying the flag at Hamptons Toyotafest yesterday with Isaac's AW on track to the right. He was doing 1:26 laps. Not bad in a standard AW after only 2 brief sessions.
DSC_3637.JPG
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: James

Post by Swampy »

That's phat Charlie. The 2s all at Hampton Downs, drool
In the shed: 91 MR2 G-Limited, 95 Subaru Impreza WRX
In the front of the shed: 95 Corolla
In the driveway: 00 Subaru Legacy Lancaster
In the rear view: 87 Honda Prelude, 94 Nissan Serena, 04 Swift
~ 4 Runs ~

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Swampy wrote:That's phat Charlie. The 2s all at Hampton Downs, drool
I didn't organise it James, I just tagged along for the ride. But yeah it was a great turn-out! And a good day. :mrgreen:

Isaac and I replaced his brakes on the weekend. New hoses, pads and fluid anyway. Gave his AW an oil change too. His brakes and his tyres had taken a bit of a hiding at Hamptons... But he had a good time, and it was a buzz watching him out-drive everything else on the track in his group. I think I enjoyed it about as much as he did! (Proud Dad) 8)
DSCF8312.JPG
Even after driving home from Hamptons (about 82km) his tyres still had signs of having melted on track... :lol:
And yet when you listen to the video from the chin-spoiler cam, the tyres hardly even squeal.
I think he was carrying the speed through the corners about as well-judged as you could hope for with those little 195 road tyres. Nicely done.
DSCF8311.JPG
Look out for the De Lorean around 1:27 :wink:

https://youtu.be/EIlg0nJXo8c

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Here's my favourite bit of the action. Classic. :lol:

https://youtu.be/TFPs9rY_2DA

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

And if you have the time and interest here's a chin-cam view of one session at Hamptons, Isaac driving his AW.

That 2GR powered SW with the wing was no better through the corners but man it sure is quick in a straight line...

https://youtu.be/PtRi4F3YnSI

:arrow: On another note does anyone know where I can score a 1 metre square bit of perforated aluminium or stainless sheet about 1mm thick, with holes between 2 and 3mm diameter and an open area of better than 30% :?:

Want to make a ventilated heat-shield for the SW's engine lid but man it's hard to find a bit of this stuff. Seems like they only make it on a custom basis and usually just big runs for buildings and stuff.
Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 6.40.14 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 6.40.14 pm.png (308.59 KiB) Viewed 1898 times

Malcolm
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

mickeyduck wrote:Here's my favourite bit of the action. Classic. :lol:
that SW20 obviously needs a bigger spoiler :lol:

You can get perforated aluminium sheet from RS; it's not cheap and it only seems to come in 500x500 sheets.
https://nz.rs-online.com/web/c/abrasive ... um-sheets/

Failing that, you're in to doing things yourself... and I'm sure you own a drill...

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Looks like the material they make borehole pump screens from. I probably have some around but need to check sizes.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Malcolm
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Have you tried these guys? This is their list of "stock" products, which seems to suggest you should be able to buy them off the shelf
http://www.designlineperforatedmetals.c ... ation.html

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Malcolm wrote:Have you tried these guys?
Yep, quoted me better than half a grand for the bit that I need. :shock:
Benckj wrote:Looks like the material they make borehole pump screens from. I probably have some around but need to check sizes.
That would sure be brilliant Jim if it turns out you can find me a suitable piece. :)

The only other hope I have seems to be Fielden metalworks in Christchurch. They do something that looks perfect.
The trick tends to be scoring a leftover from a big job...
ROE25B39-P100.png
ROE25B39-P100.png (224.66 KiB) Viewed 1872 times
Slightly revised version of the Screaming Chicken's attack at Hampton's below, just has a little intro for a laugh. Minor sound effect added around 4 minutes in when the SW flies by too.

Listening to the tyres I think Isaac needs to get on the gas earlier when exiting corners and he'd easily shave a few more seconds off his time. In fact next time I might have to throw my little old wing on the back too...

https://youtu.be/3PVicByy1t0

*84vvt
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Colin

Post by *84vvt »

Boosted cars are like hot women.
A little edgy, every guy wants one,
some guys can't handle them,
and if you throw a little alcohol in them they'll rock your world.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

*84vvt wrote:http://www.designlineperforatedmetals.co.nz/

Not sure on pricing :-P
Quoted me better than half a grand Colin. :shock:

*84vvt
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Colin

Post by *84vvt »

mickeyduck wrote:
*84vvt wrote:http://www.designlineperforatedmetals.co.nz/

Not sure on pricing :-P
Quoted me better than half a grand Colin. :shock:
Ouch
I know were there is some @ work but its in a Clinitron bed
I might upset people if I was to borrow it :lol:
Boosted cars are like hot women.
A little edgy, every guy wants one,
some guys can't handle them,
and if you throw a little alcohol in them they'll rock your world.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

*84vvt wrote:I know were there is some @ work but its in a Clinitron bed
I might upset people if I was to borrow it :lol:
So you're like one of those Men In Black, right? Always wondered what you did for a crust.

Personally, I'd be more concerned about upsetting the Clinitron. It might like its bed...
Clinitron.png
Clinitron.png (480.27 KiB) Viewed 1805 times

MR2GUY
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Cameron

Post by MR2GUY »

Locker group may also have something similar to what you are wanting?