1991 MR2 questions

General discussions.
Please post in other areas if more suitable (eg technical, for sale etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please post in other areas if more suitable (eg technical, for sale etc...) Use of the General section to circumvent correct use of other forum sections may result in posts being deleted or forum permissions being revoked. Thank you.
Hesoh
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: David

1991 MR2 questions

Post by Hesoh »

Ok I'm new to this forum and also new to mr2's. My question is I have found a 1991 MR2 turbo with like 150k on it with a blown tranny. First question is how much would I be looking to spend on a new tranny and where could I find one? And for my second question how much is something like this worth and how much should I offer him? The body is a little rough as the paint is chipping/fadding? Thanks for all the help

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Re: 1991 MR2 questions

Post by Benckj »

I find that very odd to have a turbo with low kms to have blown trans. The E153 transmissions are fairly strong and not prone to fail unless it’s something simple like a bent shift fork.

Hard to say what it is worth given your description. They are becoming rare cars to own so market price will dictate. At a guess somewhere between $3-4K if rest of car is decent. Keep in mind a new trans is over $5k with used hard to source and replacement parts often unavailable.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

With what turbo MR2s are commanding now. $5k for a new trans is peanuts.

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

Idk, I imagine quite a few MR2s going cheaper while people get rid of their spare vehicles in this downturn.

I'm sure somebody here has a spare gearbox, but I doubt that's the problem. It's more likely to be a clutch or gear selecting problem